Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 AM

32 posts, read 105,860 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Atlanta for two nights and looking for good places to eat that are in a fun neighborhood, price point is not really important ( I love tapas, mediterranean, south american or other eclectic type places). I also really want a place that's in an actual neighborhood with other restaurants, bars, shops, etc and not a chain or in a strip mall, etc, because I would like to eat and then explore the general area on foot. My group (3 people) are all between 30 and 50, so we are not looking to go clubbing, and would like to be able to hear our actual dinner conversation. However, we certainly want to enjoy ourselves.

I've never been to Atlanta and currently live in downtown Philadelphia, so I'm used to walking everywhere and enjoying unique neighborhood restaurants.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
Virginia Highlands would be a great area, though there are quite a few bars in the region, so it might be a little noisy. Not sure if that matters.

Another one would be downtown Decatur.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Check out Pura Vida. It's in a neighborhood called Virginia Highland that is perfect for an after-dinner stroll to windowshop, people watch, etc.

Also, check out Creative Loafing (weekly alternative paper), Atlanta Magazine and the AJC. All of their online editions will really list everything you will want to know.

Have fun!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
This thread may have some good reccomendations>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-highland.html

Old 10-21-2008, 12:36 PM

214 posts, read 915,557 times
mmmm....the OK Cafe....Linda is the best waitress

not a bar, not a club, not eclectic...or upscale...

Just good freaking food....yum. the roast beef rocks...and the milkshakes, the lemonade, the turkey

Old 10-21-2008, 02:38 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
One Midtown Kitchen
ONE. midtown kitchen

Two Urban Licks
TWO urban licks

Spice Market - you can easily go to the Whiskey Bar and explore Midtown Atlanta
Spice Market, Spice Market Atlanta, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, For reservations call (404) 549-5450

Floataway Cafe (off the beaten path though)
Star Provisions

Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Floataway Cafe (off the beaten path though)
Star Provisions
I have driven by and wondered about the Floataway Cafe. Across from Sage Hill Shopping Center at Johnson Rd/Briarcliff--'Zonolite Rd', which leads you to a small industrial park. You would never expect to find a restaurant. Actually, you can't see it--just the top or side.

The menu looked delicious and I plan to visit.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:26 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I have driven by and wondered about the Floataway Cafe. Across from Sage Hill Shopping Center at Johnson Rd/Briarcliff--'Zonolite Rd', which leads you to a small industrial park. You would never expect to find a restaurant. Actually, you can't see it--just the top or side.

The menu looked delicious and I plan to visit.

Floataway Cafe is divine.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:55 PM

45 posts, read 196,071 times
Floataway is really good - but pricey.
We had an awesome meal recently at Food 101 in Va. Hi/Morningside. Different atmosphere than Floataway, but we thought the food better than what we had at Floataway or Bacchanalia. Just an opinion to consider.
Have fun!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Start earlier and check out the shops around the water plant at Huff Road and Howell Mill - I think the area is called West Urban Market. There is Star Provisions (not to be missed!), and other great unique stores. You can then end up at Tacqueria del Sol for the best fish tacos and margueritas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: