Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:46 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

I currently live at home and I need(well, I want to) to move out by January 2009. I am doing so for school(the dorms are packed to capacity). I have to be near and I need to find an apartment complex in Kennesaw/Marietta area that does not have income restrictions. The last time I went apartment hunting I couldn't get an apartment because I needed to make a certain amount of money. My logic is that if you work and can make rent each month, then you should be able to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 50,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I currently live at home and I need(well, I want to) to move out by January 2009. I am doing so for school(the dorms are packed to capacity). I have to be near and I need to find an apartment complex in Kennesaw/Marietta area that does not have income restrictions. The last time I went apartment hunting I couldn't get an apartment because I needed to make a certain amount of money. My logic is that if you work and can make rent each month, then you should be able to rent.
Since you're a student, have you considered campus apartments (instead of the dorms?) I know the apartment complexes on campus at SPSU allow students fromother nearby schools to rent. SPSU students get first dibs, but unless it's chnged recently, there is almost always room for outside students.

Southern Polytechnic: Housing and Residence Life (http://www.spsu.edu/home/life/areas/index.html - broken link)

Also, I lived in Arlington Park at Wildwood off Windy Hill Rd for a while. I liked it. It was bought out by new management just before I left, so I'm not sure how much has recently changed.

View Arlington Park at Wildwood Apartments For Rent in Marietta, Georgia - ForRent.com

Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks07 View Post
Since you're a student, have you considered campus apartments (instead of the dorms?) I know the apartment complexes on campus at SPSU allow students fromother nearby schools to rent. SPSU students get first dibs, but unless it's chnged recently, there is almost always room for outside students.

Southern Polytechnic: Housing and Residence Life (http://www.spsu.edu/home/life/areas/index.html - broken link)

Also, I lived in Arlington Park at Wildwood off Windy Hill Rd for a while. I liked it. It was bought out by new management just before I left, so I'm not sure how much has recently changed.

View Arlington Park at Wildwood Apartments For Rent in Marietta, Georgia - ForRent.com
I can't find any specifics on SPSU housing regarding where a student goes to school(I am technically a KSU student).

As for Arlington at Wildwood, I don't see anywhere stating income requirements, so I'm hoping there isn't any income restrictions. BTW, how is the Wildwood area in terms of safety?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 AM

18 posts, read 50,792 times
If you're going south on 75 and get off at the Windy Hill exit, you make a left and cross back over the interstate. The apt complex is off to the left before you get to Powers Frry road. The address is a marietta zip code, but you are literally within spitting distance of atlanta zip codes.

I lived by myself when I was there and I never had any problems. It was one of the cheaper in price complexes I could find - I paid $539 for a 1 br 800sqft apt (but...this was 2-3 years ago, with another management company). That website I posted has some nice updated pictures and it looks to me liek managements has done alot with it. I wouldnt have wanted to live on the Smyrna side of Windy Hill, but I liked where I was because I was close and convenient to just about anything and everything you would need.

As for SPSU, you might call the housing office. It may be that it's changed since I graduated in May 07. I know they've added alot of new majors so population may have boomed so much that it might not be available anymore. Last I heard though, they were still housing students from CTC, North Metro, KSU and even GA State and SCAD.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
And the logic of the rental firms is that you typically need to make a certain amount of $$ to afford to pay the rent, and that's how they prequalify you. Would you rather they just "take your word for it" that you can afford to pay the rent? I'm sure that would lead to tons of evictions, which aren't cheap.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And the logic of the rental firms is that you typically need to make a certain amount of $$ to afford to pay the rent, and that's how they prequalify you. Would you rather they just "take your word for it" that you can afford to pay the rent? I'm sure that would lead to tons of evictions, which aren't cheap.
Typically, that is how most firms think. The question is, how to rental firms expect college students to make 3x the rent? Even if I got a job today,why I am applying for some today, how could I make THAT MUCH?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks07 View Post
If you're going south on 75 and get off at the Windy Hill exit, you make a left and cross back over the interstate. The apt complex is off to the left before you get to Powers Frry road. The address is a marietta zip code, but you are literally within spitting distance of atlanta zip codes.

I lived by myself when I was there and I never had any problems. It was one of the cheaper in price complexes I could find - I paid $539 for a 1 br 800sqft apt (but...this was 2-3 years ago, with another management company). That website I posted has some nice updated pictures and it looks to me liek managements has done alot with it. I wouldnt have wanted to live on the Smyrna side of Windy Hill, but I liked where I was because I was close and convenient to just about anything and everything you would need.

As for SPSU, you might call the housing office. It may be that it's changed since I graduated in May 07. I know they've added alot of new majors so population may have boomed so much that it might not be available anymore. Last I heard though, they were still housing students from CTC, North Metro, KSU and even GA State and SCAD.
You have experience. That is good. Did Arlington at Wildwood ask for your income amount? I am asking because I am thinking about moving there in January.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Typically, that is how most firms think. The question is, how to rental firms expect college students to make 3x the rent? Even if I got a job today,why I am applying for some today, how could I make THAT MUCH?
Hmmm....maybe they don't expect college students to make that much, and therefore they don't expect college students to rent from them??? In general, complexes don't really want large numbers of college students as renters- they tend to be loud, don't maintain their apartments, and leave a mess when they move out. That's not to say that every college student is like that, but it's a big enough problem that they're generally not a renter profile that complexes are thrilled to have.

Have you considered finding a roommate or two?

Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 92,312 times
What about renting a room in a house with other students? I imagine it couldn't be any worse than living with a random roommate(s) in an apartment. You could search the local papers (AJC or Marietta Daily Journal), go to KSU's newspaper (KSU Sentinel), see about sub-leasing a dorm on campus (check the campus paper or bulletin boards on campus), and maybe get put on a waiting list for campus housing.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmmm....maybe they don't expect college students to make that much, and therefore they don't expect college students to rent from them??? In general, complexes don't really want large numbers of college students as renters- they tend to be loud, don't maintain their apartments, and leave a mess when they move out. That's not to say that every college student is like that, but it's a big enough problem that they're generally not a renter profile that complexes are thrilled to have.

Have you considered finding a roommate or two?
I don't leave messes. I typically keep y music in my cd player. I am not loud either. I have considered trying to room with someone, but I am unsure about that due to trust issues. Who's name goes on the lease, who has to get a co-signer,etc. That stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta