Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:46 PM

173 posts, read 522,376 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a interview march 26 at 8:00a.m for a position with the federal government. The interview location is on 77 Forsyth Street, Suite 320 in Atlanta, ga. My question, does anyone know any good hotels at that location? Also, is that location safe? Are there any precautions I should take before I go there? What about traffic? Please let me know, God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,505,599 times
It might be expensive to stay downtown.

Here is a link --ATL motel guide>>>
http://hotel-guides.us/georgia/atlanta-ga-hotels.html

I would consider staying 'Intown'--outside the city proper. Virginia Highlands, Emory, Decatur, Lenox, Brookhaven, North Druid Hills (NE Atlanta)--MARTA stations can be found in these areas--(as well as many others--I don't know your preferences)

Good Luck.
~~~~
As for safety concerns--- If you use MARTA you won't have to worry about finding a parking place --there always seem to be detours/road work downtown. IIRC, you exit at the 5 Points Station for Forsyth Street --no more than a block away.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-02-2007 at 06:29 AM..

Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 PM

426 posts, read 2,323,408 times
Downtown Holtels are expensive but there are a ton in that area to choose from if you can float the prices. There are alot of homeless people in that part of Atlanta, as Forsyth St. is in the very heart of the downtown area. BUT, with so many professionals working down there, over 28,000 Georgia State students a couple blocks down, and an extreemly high presence of both Atlanta Police and Georgia State Police patroling the area, I wouldn't worry in the least about crime. I am not saying don't check your surroundings, just don't feel the need to be paranoid.

And there are alot of nicer but inexpensive hotels in the airport area. Its only 15 minutes south of downtown. These hotels aren't right down the street from anything exciting in Atlanta but put you'd be close enough to the city so that you can drive around to explore the city's attractions in Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 PM

OKay thanks a lot. Is traffic pretty bad along forsyth street? Thanks again all for the advice. God Bless.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Thumbs up Use Marta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
OKay thanks a lot. Is traffic pretty bad along forsyth street? Thanks again all for the advice. God Bless.
It might be or it might not. If you are a resourceful type--you might be able to find out where to park ---something that I don't seem to be able to do. I rarely drive downtown because traffic is frequently 'Rerouted'--road work of some sort. Also--there are many one way streets.
-ie --Courtland is a main street that I use from north Atlanta to get to places dowtown. It runs down toward the Capitol--you have to drive around with many other motorists--most of whom don't know where they are going either--you go around and around--get in the wrong lane--go around again. This makes me nervous.

If you ride MARTA--from any direction --all trains start/stop at the Five Points Station--get off there and walk toward the tall bldgs--no more than a block--that is Forsyth St. I would not try to drive/park.

After your interview if you have time---explore a bit. Woodruff Park is nice. Named for Robert Woodruff--Coca Cola. LOL--Be Sure to have a Coke. If you visit 'The World of Coke' still at Underground, I believe--you can sample many of Cokes' products. Then back on the train and hopefully you can tour the city a bit more.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
It might be or it might not. If you are a resourceful type--you might be able to find out where to park ---something that I don't seem to be able to do. I rarely drive downtown because traffic is frequently 'Rerouted'--road work of some sort. Also--there are many one way streets.
-ie --Courtland is a main street that I use from north Atlanta to get to places dowtown. It runs down toward the Capitol--you have to drive around with many other motorists--most of whom don't know where they are going either--you go around and around--get in the wrong lane--go around again. This makes me nervous.

If you ride MARTA--from any direction --all trains start/stop at the Five Points Station--get off there and walk toward the tall bldgs--no more than a block--that is Forsyth St. I would not try to drive/park.

After your interview if you have time---explore a bit. Woodruff Park is nice. Named for Robert Woodruff--Coca Cola. LOL--Be Sure to have a Coke. If you visit 'The World of Coke' still at Underground, I believe--you can sample many of Cokes' products. Then back on the train and hopefully you can tour the city a bit more.
Thanks a lot. I'm using a navigation system so I hope that will help. Let me be honest with you, the issue about finding a parking space then driving is worrying me, honestly I have a great deal of family in Atlanta. I just don't like spending the night over a family members house when I have a job interview. They will want to goto the movies, distract me from preparing from the interview, make me nervous about the interview, make me 6 hours late to the interview, LOL! But I'll just pray that won't happen, but when I have job interviews I like keeping that to myself. But just to be safe I'll just call my family, stay with them, and see if they can maybe drop me off, or I can take the MARTA ( but who do you know that rides the marta in a clean crisp black suit with a portfolio notebook as I will be doing, as I don't want to cause much attention to myself, I seem to do that already for some reason). I'll be sure to check out the Atlanta attraction sites. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Business attire on MARTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
I like keeping that to myself. But just to be safe I'll just call my family, stay with them, and see if they can maybe drop me off, or I can take the MARTA ( but who do you know that rides the marta in a clean crisp black suit with a portfolio notebook as I will be doing, as I don't want to cause much attention to myself, I seem to do that already for some reason). I'll be sure to check out the Atlanta attraction sites. Thanks and God Bless.
~~~
I briefly worked dowtown and rode MARTA--happily in my business suits. Never dawdled ---walk fast and purposefully. Have your token ready--I don't know what the fare is now--keeps increasing...

I saw lots of corporate/upper management individuals on MARTA--LOL--some wearing Coca Cola ties. Many people must be coming downtown from Cobb County and Dunwoody--according to the posts on these forums. Maybe they are driving--maybe they have nerves of steel.

You could always arrive late in the afternoon--leaving only enough time for a quick meal and then bed?

Good luck. If you need a pep talk--go to boortz.com--Neal keeps us all 'Fired Up'--no time to become 'Self-Involved'. According to Neal--he got his job at WSB by just being persistent and he also told them he was the Best and Only person that should have the JOB. (I take much of what he says with a grain of salt...)

My Dad worked in the old Candler Bldg for years--I saw many parades from his office window. Lots of history there.
---the Atlanta Journal is close to Forsyth Street --on Marietta Street--Henry Grady---a visionary journalist.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
~~~
I briefly worked dowtown and rode MARTA--happily in my business suits. Never dawdled ---walk fast and purposefully. Have your token ready--I don't know what the fare is now--keeps increasing...

I saw lots of corporate/upper management individuals on MARTA--LOL--some wearing Coca Cola ties. Many people must be coming downtown from Cobb County and Dunwoody--according to the posts on these forums. Maybe they are driving--maybe they have nerves of steel.

You could always arrive late in the afternoon--leaving only enough time for a quick meal and then bed?

Good luck. If you need a pep talk--go to boortz.com--Neal keeps us all 'Fired Up'--no time to become 'Self-Involved'. According to Neal--he got his job at WSB by just being persistent and he also told them he was the Best and Only person that should have the JOB. (I take much of what he says with a grain of salt...)

My Dad worked in the old Candler Bldg for years--I saw many parades from his office window. Lots of history there.
---the Atlanta Journal is close to Forsyth Street --on Marietta Street--Henry Grady---a visionary journalist.
Cool. But I think I may go with the family option, but I'm still am going to consider the MARTA option, especially if my family recommends it. Then again I could go hotel then MARTA. But my only concern is getting lost on the MARTA and getting off on some unknown street with a "loud" suit on (can you imagine the embarrassment lol)? My interview is actually with the Department of States Diplomatic Security Service http://www.state.gov/m/ds/, don't know if you've seen that building downtown or not, if I get the job, they have a option of letting me live domestically or shipping my overseas. Thanks for giving me the boortz site, I'll need all the help I can get because I'll have to take a 45 minute writing test, another 15 minute test, and 2 oral interviews. But I'm preparing now. Thanks again for the help God Bless.

PS- I have a strange feeling I'm going to be the only with with a suit on riding the marta 7:00 in the morning if I take that option.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:26 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,098,349 times
A well-dressed man taking Marta downtown at 7:00 am? It isn't that unusual.

Believe in yourself. You were not selected for this interview by accident. Lose that self-consciousness by focusing on others, the downtown sights, the task at hand and especially on your interviewer. He will be there trying to fill a position with the best possible candidate to fit an important job. You are there to help him do just that.

Enjoy your visit to Atlanta.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 PM

the Department of States Diplomatic Security Service http://www.state.gov/m/ds/, don't know if you've seen that building downtown or not, if I get the job, they have a option of letting me live domestically or shipping my overseas. Thanks for giving me the boortz site, I'll need all the help I can get because I'll have to take a 45 minute writing test, another 15 minute test, and 2 oral interviews. But I'm preparing now. Thanks again for the help God Bless.

PS- I have a strange feeling I'm going to be the only with with a suit on riding the marta 7:00 in the morning if I take that option.[/quote]

Figment had some good advice.

The 'Early Birds' that Get the Worms would be on the Marta--professionally attired at 6 AM--LOL--they listen to Boortz.

He is full of 'Pepper' and Vinegar'--just what you need to get a JOB--(The old Southern version of this is more colorful--but the software might have a censor? )

They say you have about 10 seconds to make your first impression--then be prepared to succinctly explain: 'I AM, I CAN, I WANT'.

No reason why you should not have this JOB. Go GET IT.
I learned that from the Talkmaster. It was as Painful as his Truth.

He keeps this city hopping. Join the Madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta