Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 PM

321 posts, read 1,123,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Where are the posts by ITP'ers making such statements? I'm not seeing them.
OPEN your eyes or ears please! The OP wants to "segregate" the "trolls" from making any comments or opinions about the City of Atlanta (you have to live there to validate this?) Yeah right ...

You claim there is no proof of what you just stated ... it's right here.

What if you own property in the City of Atlanta? Just because I live somewhere else therefore I have to keep my opinion or my interest(s) to myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I don't see a lot of that snobbiness on THIS forum, though. I do see it on the AJC.com forums.

However, with the very fact that a lot of people live OTP and work ITP we need to keep one common forum so that we might help these people decide WHERE OTP they should live or if they should consider ITP, depending on where they work.
Good for you - an outstanding statement. Excellent verbiage encompassing what an entire metropolitan community SHOULD be. Non - segregating.

My hat is off to you!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:45 PM

23,695 posts, read 44,493,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
OPEN your eyes or ears please! The OP wants to "segregate" the "trolls" from making any comments or opinions about the City of Atlanta (you have to live there to validate this?) Yeah right ...

You claim there is no proof of what you just stated ... it's right here.

What if you own property in the City of Atlanta? Just because I live somewhere else therefore I have to keep my opinion or my interest(s) to myself?
WHAT? You're making no sense to me...no one here has been disrespectful of another point of view here. What are you getting at? You know what? Don't insult my intelligence, and I won't insult yours. There's no proof of anything here, except your own bizarre implications.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Yeah I was just putting it out there for conversation so the Trolls won't have a reason to even visit and offer thier opinion since they don't ever step foot into Atlanta. It seems like so many people who don't actually live in Atlanta make comments on Atlanta from thier far flung suburb when they aren't here on a daily basis 24/7 like myself and other informed people on this forum.
I'm still in SHOCK. My mouth AGAPE... perhaps we might suggest segregating more? Separate forums for all? How far should this go?
I'm appalled. Completely APPALLED that someone would suggest this merely to avoid critisism(s) whether contructive or not?

I own property in the City of Atlanta. I live in Roswell/East Cobb and own my home here .... I work out of the ATL airport. So I have to live intown to make my opinions known? Or to care or to state what I think is wrong, suggestions for improvement? Trust me, I hit City Hall quite often downtown Atlanta, not just this forum.

Did it ever occur that communities do not evolve and mature into diverse, accepting and culture centers without some kind of intervention from others? From other States? From other Countries? From other languages, races, religions or creeds? Isn't that suppose to be the common goal to evolve this entire Metro area into the commercial and cultural center of the southeast that is so desperately wants to be?

Shame on this. These topics embarass me and make me cringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
We have the same sprawl as LA and they have many sub-forums that split of the areas (Orange County/Inland Empire/Los Angeles) to name a few. Just putting the idea out there...
NO WE DO NOT. The City of Los Angeles ALONE is almost 4 million people. Los Angeles Metro is close to 10 million. That is MORE people than the entire State of Georgia.

Do you live in California? Maintain a residence there and City of Atlanta?

No comparision here.

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-22-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
There's no proof of anything here, except your own bizarre implications.
That's a great word. Would have chose it myself and shall remember it fondly.

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-22-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
That's a great word. Would have chose it myself and shall remember it fondly.
Please explain your comments in something other than a passive-aggressive manner.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 34,022,412 times
Sigh.

tick..... tick..... tick.....

Old 08-23-2008, 01:23 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,542,519 times
Quote:
NO WE DO NOT. The City of Los Angeles ALONE is almost 4 million people. Los Angeles Metro is close to 10 million. That is MORE people than the entire State of Georgia.

Do you live in California? Maintain a residence there and City of Atlanta?

No comparision here.
It doesn't matter about the actual populations but more on the PATTERN of development. In which case, yes, we're very much developing like LA did in the 20th century: low-density-turning-to-high-density, car-dependent, single-family-detached homes, intricate freeway systems, and very fast-paced growth. Let't not forget infrastructure problems...

However, Cobb and Gwinnett getting their own forums isn't in the cards right now, because: a) they're smaller in area than California counties and thus b) have smaller populations. OC getting its own forum makes sense because there are 3 MILLION people living there in a larger area than Cobb and Gwinett COMBINED. Riverside/San Bernardino makes sense because they too have 1 Million+ populations, and San Bernardino by itself can make its own state the size it is (the largest county in the US, in area). In many cases, these areas can act as their own metros due to their boundaries and land area.

Cobb and Gwinnett, however, although they have their own large business centers and such, still interact with the rest of the metro heavily. Even in Cobb, if you live in Acworth, the very very NW portion of the county and the farthest from the Atlanta core, you can still get to downtown Atlanta in less than an hour w/o traffic; that speaks to how close it is. You can go on the perimeter and cross 3 counties in 30-45 minutes (again, no traffic). Now, try driving from Newport Beach/South OC to Los Angeles and it would take at least 1 hour without traffic (and, we know that scenario doesn't play out in LA, lol).

Even the central city relies heavily on its suburbs! Just think this way: how many people do you know that live and work in the same county? Now, think of your old metro (if you have one) or one that you know of and ask that same question. You can probably think of more people like that in other cities than here, because of the way Georgia formed its county system/sizes. And, because of the smaller land area of Georgia counties, it's going to be some time before we have a Cobb county forum like OC has its own, or Gwinnett forum like Riverside does.

The closest thing I see is OTP/ITP, or perhaps a Northside vs. Southside forum.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,272,405 times
We could have an ITP forum, where people discuss dense urban living and transit riding along with the finer things in life, and then we could have an OTP forum, where we discuss creationism, new development where old growth forest once stood, maybe tractor pulls, and how to best drive your oversized SUV to the best chain restaurants.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
We could have an ITP forum, where people discuss dense urban living and transit riding along with the finer things in life, and then we could have an OTP forum, where we discuss creationism, new development where old growth forest once stood, maybe tractor pulls, and how to best drive your oversized SUV to the best chain restaurants.
Oooo, Neil, please don't stir that pot...I can already hear the war drums beyond the Perimeter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta