Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,566 times

Advertisements

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:37 AM EDT
Atlanta City Council OKs TAD bonds
Atlanta Business Chronicle - by Dave Williams Staff Writer

Atlanta City Council overwhelmingly approved bond issues late Monday that will make substantial contributions toward two major development projects.
Council members voted overwhelmingly to put $85 million in bond money toward a planned civil and human rights museum and other improvements in the Tax Allocation District.
A second $117 million bond issue represents the first installment of government funds for the Beltline TAD.
The $125 million Center for Civil & Human Rights is scheduled to break ground next year at a site at Centennial Olympic Park. Nearly half of the bond issue -- $40 million – is earmarked for the museum project.
The Westside TAD also will feature a office and retail space and 1,600 units of housing.
The Beltline project calls for developing a 22-mile corridor around the city over 25 years, including parks, trails and transit.
TADs are created by local governments through ballot initiatives that authorize elected officials to borrow money to pay for redevelopment projects.
The loans are repaid from the additional property tax revenue generated by the improvements.

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view...ge_tab_newstab

Last edited by chip1980; 08-19-2008 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 01:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
Council members voted overwhelmingly to put $85 million in bond money toward a planned civil and human rights museum. The $125 million Center for Civil & Human Rights is scheduled to break ground next year at a site at Centennial Olympic Park. Nearly half of the bond issue -- $40 million – is earmarked for the museum project.
Surprise!

So, I wonder what exactly the $125 million dollar museum is going to teach people that they can't already get from the MLK memorial site and various other exhibits in the city? "Pork project" might be a good name for it.

I think the only thing that bothers me is the attitude by the city council as to WHY such a museum needs to be in Centennial Park. I know someone who works with the city tourism office and who has been around every city leader multiple times. I had heard about this project quite some time ago, and she (who is black) told me that they were really pushing for it, and for one reason only - that they consider the Aquarium and World of Coke museum "White attractions" that draw majority-white tourists into the area. News to me - I see people from all over the world and of every nationality when I'm around there.

So this civil rights museum isn't being built to educate people or for any sense of public good - it's just something that's being built because some members in city leadership think that the tourist area around the park is "too white" and wanted a more minority-themed attraction there. Completely the wrong reason to build such a facility as far as I'm concerned, and I question the $125 million construction cost for such a facility as well. Bonds or not. Pay close attention if this goes through as to who gets picked as the contractor for building it as well - my guess is we'll see another "Bill Campbell" type of thing where if it's investigated well enough, the bidding process won't be handled by the book and it will go to someone who's a personal friend of someone in city leadership.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM

171 posts, read 663,999 times
Haven't they straighten that mess out with the Mason's yet? I last heard that their suppose to use portion of TAD funds to purchase Mason's property $66 million, but deal needs Atlanta City Council approval.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,208 times
Sigh. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose -- the more things change, the more they stay the same.

$125 million dollars down the drain for window dressing, and they can't afford to fix the sewers and water mains.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM

91 posts, read 344,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Surprise!

So, I wonder what exactly the $125 million dollar museum is going to teach people that they can't already get from the MLK memorial site and various other exhibits in the city? "Pork project" might be a good name for it.

I think the only thing that bothers me is the attitude by the city council as to WHY such a museum needs to be in Centennial Park. I know someone who works with the city tourism office and who has been around every city leader multiple times. I had heard about this project quite some time ago, and she (who is black) told me that they were really pushing for it, and for one reason only - that they consider the Aquarium and World of Coke museum "White attractions" that draw majority-white tourists into the area. News to me - I see people from all over the world and of every nationality when I'm around there.

So this civil rights museum isn't being built to educate people or for any sense of public good - it's just something that's being built because some members in city leadership think that the tourist area around the park is "too white" and wanted a more minority-themed attraction there. Completely the wrong reason to build such a facility as far as I'm concerned, and I question the $125 million construction cost for such a facility as well. Bonds or not. Pay close attention if this goes through as to who gets picked as the contractor for building it as well - my guess is we'll see another "Bill Campbell" type of thing where if it's investigated well enough, the bidding process won't be handled by the book and it will go to someone who's a personal friend of someone in city leadership.
I think this is dead-on. What a complete waste of money. I have also heard from many sources that this is the reason they are building it. Its frustrating to see tax dollars wasted on something that is basically a duplication of the King Center.

I have also heard that the TAD funds are mostly used to subsidize "affordable housing", a move some have interpreted as a move by city leadership to keep the city majority black.

A girl I graduated with works with the city planning department. She said there is a lot of buzz over there due to the new census figures and that WSJ article about blacks leaving the city and whites moving in. She said they are looking for ways, through "affordable housing" and a civil rights center to keep the city majority black.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Brand Atlanta was a great idea as well, how much did Atlanta spend on that? How much did they spend on the song alone?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Brand Atlanta was a great idea as well, how much did Atlanta spend on that? How much did they spend on the song alone?
Not to mention that failed amusement park that the city funded next to the stadium.
The city has a history of squandering funds on ridiculous projects like this.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
I guess the main question would be if they can find either the money or the results of the money itself from the last TAD Bond issues.
According to the ABC that money has to be accounted for, but where

Two great examples here in regard to TAD Bonds:

Good example: Charlotte City, NC
Bad example: Atanta City, GA

You can go downtown Charlotte and the old, now new 4th Ward and see what proper leadership and planning can do for a city. Clean, remodeled high end homes, clean affordable homes. Able to walk the streets and even enjoy outside seating cafe's without being hassled by panhandlers.

What's another 125 million for a museum, heck it's just taxpayer money. Shirley can always double the property taxes again all around, no biggie!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post

A girl I graduated with works with the city planning department. She said there is a lot of buzz over there due to the new census figures and that WSJ article about blacks leaving the city and whites moving in. She said they are looking for ways, through "affordable housing" and a civil rights center to keep the city majority black.
I can't see how a civil right center that most people will visit once (if that) is going to "keep the city black", but I guess there are people out there who are far smarter than me

Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 AM

67 posts, read 272,766 times
Its not going to work. White leadership tried to keep the city 30 years ago and that failed too. Besides, do you really think that this incompetent and corrupt city government can actually be successful and accomplish anything? They have repeatedly proven to be unable to meet even the most simple goals. A effort to keep the city black is doomed to failure... actually, its laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta