Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 12,871 times

Advertisements

Hello i am new to the site and wanted to get some real detail about Atlanta. I am 22, and really looking forward to moving to Atlanta in the Fall semester of next year. I plan on transfering to Clark, and wanted to know a little more about the city. Also where is the best place to move for young adults and is Clark all that it is crack up to be? Also is Atlanta all that it is crack up to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,515,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworsham22 View Post
Hello i am new to the site and wanted to get some real detail about Atlanta. I am 22, and really looking forward to moving to Atlanta in the Fall semester of next year. I plan on transfering to Clark, and wanted to know a little more about the city. Also where is the best place to move for young adults and is Clark all that it is crack up to be? Also is Atlanta all that it is crack up to be?

One of the first Moderators of this forum, 'juxman'????/IIRC, could answer your questions well. I think he would recommend that you find housing near/around downtown Atlanta--some posters are familiar with what is available and hopefully one of them will respond.

Yes, Atlanta is a vibrant, progressive city--and East Atlanta is a 'Hot Spot'--so I have heard.

The poster 'Plessthanpointohfive' lives in Candler Park, I believe and knows what is going on in and around downtown/midtown. You can make a place for yourself here and enjoy attending Clark--excellent school--are your perchance considering a degree in Library Science--very good program I have heard and Clark is one of the few places in the South where you can obtain this degree. It would open a lot of interesting doors for you--Atlanta has a strong literary heritage--and community support for 'books, writers, journalism and The Arts'. I would immediately network with interest groups--there are many--volunteer with the Atlanta Humane Society or one of the numerous pet rescue groups---very critical time for animals in Atlanta--many foreclosures and pets are abandoned. Also, many health related volunteer opportunities--Emory University is a good place to find people, too as well as those you meet at Clark. The advantage of attending school in a large city is that you mix and mingle with a diverse group of people--Emory, Ga Tech, Clark-Atlanta University, Morris Brown, GA State, Perimeter College, Agnes Scott and more schools than I can name tonight. Lots of corporate presence here, too---Coca Cola, AT&T, Bank America, CNN, --so many major companies are here and you could find a part-time job and get started in job networking from day one.

We do not have a 'Beach/Ocean' nearby, nor do we have an extensive historic district--city was burned during the Civil War--nor is Atlanta 'like LA', Seattle, Boston, Miami or NYC--if you are goal-oriented and determined to have the life you want --then the opportunities are here.

If you are 'Stuck' somehow or not open to possibilities then you will see nothing good about this evolving city. Come with an open mind and you will find the kind of people you will enjoy--we have many rude natives and transplants--best to ignore negativity, a tiny bit of advice that I give myself daily.

Piedmont Park/Midtown is a good place to mix and mingle.

If you like sports--there are some major teams here--I don't get 'Into' sports much--but the Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Thrashers are the major league teams---plenty of tennis, rugby, soccer and lots of skateboarding, cycling--bicycle riders are brave/insane--will risk their lives in the annoying traffic--the major complaint I have about the city at present. 5,000,000 people--it gets crazy when the numerous accidents have to be dealt with--aggressive group of drivers--Looking At You/anyone from 'Not Atlanta'----no need to be offended, jmo.

Where are you now? Why are you considering a move to Atlanta? If you don't mind my asking. LOL---It is my 'Dream' to lure more people from Down Under to Atlanta--I like the Aussie attitude. Few seem willing to leave the "Land of Allure"--I hope to visit Australia one day. We do have a big Aquarium/thanks to Home Depot but no Barrier Reef. Just so you know.

TakeAhike

Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 PM

As of now i am in philly and i'm considering moving to Atlanta because i feels as thought i will have a larger opportunity there where as philly i feel i can only go so far without having to move anyway.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
As of now i am in philly and i'm considering moving to Atlanta because i feels as thought i will have a larger opportunity there where as philly i feel i can only go so far without having to move anyway.
Philly has a good vibe--but I think you will do fine in 'The ATL'--lots of all kinds of people here and Comcast is a dominant force in the area--LOL--I was glad when they came, myself, former AOL consumer and it was a different world to have Comcast. Some say they grew too fast and need to work out a few 'kinks'--maybe so, I have had good service from them.

There are lofts and all kinds of student housing around GA State/downtown Atlanta--you could find a house to share or live any way you wanted to for not 'A lot' of $. Piedmont Park, Inman Park and East Atlanta in general would be accessible to Clark.

Check their website for housing and when you have specific questions just make a new thread. It is not that difficult to connect with people here--get on the MARTA and strike up a conversation. People are generally rather helpful--if they are not too tired from 'Work', etc.

There is 'Growth' here and though there is an economic slump the purpose of this city is 'Business/Commerce'--if you want an opportunity--you create one.

Listen to 'Boortz'/WSB 750 AM radio personality--the mouth of the South--The Talkmaster--http://boortz.com/. Economics--politics and more. Cox Broadcasting owns this city and they believe in 'Work'--keeping the $$$ flowing. It has worked out pretty well--you have to be at the top of your Game--but Clark should prepare you well for the Competition.

Come on Down.

TakeAhike

Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM

67 posts, read 272,929 times
Quote:
Shall we chalk that up to a subliminal freudian slip? Yes there is a lot of "crack" here, and we already have had enough crack users thank you very little.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straighttalker75 View Post
Shall we chalk that up to a subliminal freudian slip? Yes there is a lot of "crack" here, and we already have had enough crack users thank you very little.
Hmm, straighttalker75--we both read the same post and yet my response to the OP was so different from yours.

I read the same words and saw that this poster is 'Young' and disregarded the double entendres and you jumped to some pretty strange conclusions.

I wonder if you are about 13? Having worked with adolescents you seem very much like a middle school student--excited by the word 'Crack'. My, my.

I suspect you are familiar with drugs.

Everyone has a choice to make and if you want a good life then create one. Avoid Fools and Foolishness such as this.

TakeAhike

Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 AM

Thank you for your advice Takeahike i will take it in consideration as of the crack comment i don't think were talking about the same thing!!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your advice Takeahike i will take it in consideration as of the crack comment i don't think were talking about the same thing!!
That poster was rude. Best to not respond but I've been here a while and most of us don't like abrasive posts; I just felt the comment was uncalled for.

Bring that 'shaker of salt'. Best to take what you don't like with a grain of salt.
Southern colloquialism. We have hundreds of such sayings--'Don't let the door hit you where God split you' is a popular one. North and South of Atlanta the Real Southerners use such sayings frequently--many of our legislators are 'Colorful Characters' and use such sayings, too. FYI.

I guess you have heard of Zell Miller. He hails from Young Harris, GA--up in the mountains. 'Give Em 'H', Zell'--that is who he is. Atlanta is more cosmopolitan but you get a little bit of Everything in Georgia.

TakeAhike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta