Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM

10 posts, read 33,321 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to GA, I've been looking in the Suwanee area (because of it being one of the best places to live for 2007!) I am married with 2 boys, being in Orange County, CA its a bit hectic here. We have a very busy life with the boys playing sports (basketball leagues for the big one (13), getting ready to start football) and the little one (4) he wants to get into baseball, soccer, basketball and football. My husband plays in a basketball league, I play coed softball. Its going to be a big change from CA to GA because there is so much to do, we can go to the beach and to the mountains in the same day...................strange but it can happen. we snowboard, bike ride, pretty much don't like to be bored and like to be outside doing something! What I want to know is first off the school districts, I've found some good schools in Suwanee but is that the best place to go? housing prices I've been looking at is around $200-250k but more towards the lower end of the two. I will be working in Alpharetta, my husband............we will have to work on that one since it will be a completely new job for him, I will be just transferring. neighborhoods are important for my kids, safety, other kids to play with. What is there to do? I know we won't be able to get to do as many things we do here in CA now but how much slower will it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM

100 posts, read 485,681 times
There is a thread here about schools in metro Atlanta. It is pinned to the top of these Atlanta threads or just click here. You probably already know about greatschools.net. I would start there search for schools in those areas and read. I would say the bedroom communities of Suwanee or even the Alpharetta areas are fine, but it is better for others who have first hand knowledge to give you more details.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 PM

63 posts, read 212,795 times
Schooldigger.com is a good site as well - you may also want to look at Alpharetta/Milton area, there are some good schools here as well. But in your price range the Suwanee and East side of Alpharetta may be the best place to look, even Cumming is worth checking out.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Ditto on the Alpharetta area. That might be a better area to look for a place to live.

Good overall school system, good shopping both in that area (mall) and North of there (outlet malls). North of there about 45 minutes are several small mountain towns with arts and crafts stuff, hiking, biking, camping etc too - so if you like the outdoors it's a good deal. The husband might hit it lucky and get a job in that area as well. If not, it's a straight shot down GA400 into the city (though the traffic is bad, but it shouldn't bug you much being from the metro L.A. area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta