Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,053 times

Advertisements

If you were a male traveling alone, would you feel safe taking Marta from Airport to Lindbergh around 9 pm?

I'll be in this situation next Tues night. The other option is having my friend (who lives next to Lindbergh) come pick me up. She's offered to do that, but I kind of feel bad considering gas prices these days (and she won't take gas money from me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,278 times
Absolutely.... It's about a 35 minute ride from Lindhberg.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Go Blue 99, what exactly are you afraid of? I have taken the train to and from the airport as late as Midnight and have never had any problems. You may see some colorful characters, that's about it.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 66,232 times
I'm a small, young, white woman and I've ridden home from the airport as late as 11pm, including changing lines at 5 points, which means hanging around the station by myself. No problems. you won't even have to change lines. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,660 times
MARTA has to be safe in those hours, otherwise it's gonna kill MARTA service.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
I am female, not-quite middle aged (33), and sturdy (code for chubby). I travel for work and ride MARTA by myself all the time. It is often quite late when I get home.

I mean, on the one hand I wanted to laugh in disbelief when I read your post. But then on the other hand I realize what kind of misinformation gets out there and if you have no real experience with MARTA then what ARE you going to think?

I think you'll be fine.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,398 times
I personally don't feel that the OP's question should be scoffed at.

Just because you do and have been doing it and nothing has happened doesn't mean ........

I'm sure millions in the metro area would have the same question including myself. I only ride MARTA while the sun is up or during commute hours in the evening. Period.

Reason? MARTA travels through poor, relatively high crime areas south of Five Points. Also the stations tend to be fairly deserted after the evening rush - this is no NYC. While traveling on the train you might be fine, but how about when exiting through a deserted station at night? Or walking from that station to your home?

I have personally known/hear of people getting jumped, mugged and robbed simply for walking the streets of midtown and midtown west after dark .... Riding MARTA is not simply riding MARTA - it also includes exiting stations, walking to your home/car etc. Think about that .....

In some parts of Manhattan at night, below a certain street, I'd probably feel somewhat safe, because the probability that I would be a statistic amongst the masses would be slim and I'd be aware of that. In deserted Atlanta not at all.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,278 times
I don't think his questioned is scoffed at, but I found it amusing. Why does someone think MARTA is unsafe, because there is no evidence that suggest it is. These trains are not deserted at night especially going to and from the airport. The OP is going from Lindhberg to the Airport, not to Oakland City. Riding Marta is simply riding Marta. No one expects Marta to safely get them door to door, this door to door mentality is what is holding back public transportation currently.

The OP is basically expressing a concern based on misinformation, ingorance, and or out right lies from people who probably never use the system. The funny thing to me is that his friend probably lives intown and still is misinformed.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
All I know is that it sucks riding the Marta with lots of luggage. Keep in mind that I had to do it a few times during rush hour. I've traveled to & from the airport; to & from the "Medical Center Station" in Chamblee. It's a hike, but not unpleasant.

It's easy on the "loved ones" that live in Atlanta.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 PM

352 posts, read 1,424,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
If you were a male traveling alone, would you feel safe taking Marta from Airport to Lindbergh around 9 pm?

I'll be in this situation next Tues night. The other option is having my friend (who lives next to Lindbergh) come pick me up. She's offered to do that, but I kind of feel bad considering gas prices these days (and she won't take gas money from me).
Yes its safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: