Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,078 times

Advertisements

What qualities are deal-breakers in terms of living in a Metro Atlanta community/neighborhood?

I'd like answers from all walks of life (those that are single, married, older, younger, without kids, with older or young kids, who live and/or work ITP or OTP, wealthy, poor, black, white, Asian, Latin, etc. -- well, you get the picture.)

What things are important to you in a community? What can you tolerate even if it’s not your ideal area? Give some examples of neighborhoods that you’d be a little hesitant to call home. As well as the neighborhoods you’d never step foot in during broad daylight (in your own personal opinion).

Provide as much detail as you like...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:53 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,376 times
Any neighborhood that is not aesthetically pleasing. For example boarded up houses, trash( and furniture) all over the sidewalks, and overgrown yards. Additionally, multiple houses with at least 5 people sitting on porches( or in front of the houses) at all times(ie work hours too) also turn me off.
IMO, the aforementioned issues signify that particular neighborhood has larger issues, and the good people in the community have totally post control.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What qualities are deal-breakers in terms of living in a Metro Atlanta community/neighborhood?
I wouldn't limit these criteria to Atlanta or GA.

- High crime
- Bad or declining schools
- Declining property values or neigborhoods heading on a downward trend
- Neighbors that don't care...unkempt property and homes
- Lack of good, responsible government
- High taxes
- Lots of rental properties and apartments in the area, especially section 8
- Areas where supermarkets and chains won't open stores and/or closing or abandoned stores

Old 06-22-2008, 12:25 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Any neighborhood that is not aesthetically pleasing. For example boarded up houses, trash( and furniture) all over the sidewalks, and overgrown yards. Additionally, multiple houses with at least 5 people sitting on porches( or in front of the houses) at all times(ie work hours too) also turn me off.
IMO, the aforementioned issues signify that particular neighborhood has larger issues, and the good people in the community have totally post control.
I agree...neighborhood community has to have curb appeal. Well maintained houses and yards....not having a bunch of recreational vehicles and cars parked consistently on the road ( just my own thing of course). When a car has been parked out long enough to have spiderwebs attached from the ground up to the car...probably been there too long. People walking, kids playing. Parks close by, libraries and schools are good indicators. Community supported and high ranking schools are good too. Convenient shopping too. Churches too. Sidewalks are nice, but not very consistent in the Atlanta burbs.

Anything that I would see opposite of the above mentioned...would turn me off. Or if the neighborhood is close to a busy, high traffic road or hwy...no traffic lights to help you get out of the subdivision...and you can hear the traffic within the nieghborhood. I dont care for power lines either....not pleasing to the eye...and well as far as damage they may or not cause...I wouldnt take any chances. From a suburban perspective, I am wary of abundant apt complexes and/or multiple housing complexes (ie townhomes, condos)...usually folks dont stay long in those places...gives the area a transient feel. ( Unless you are out in CA and that is all the normal person can afford)

Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM

21 posts, read 152,746 times
^^^ what she said.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM

168 posts, read 637,244 times
I wouldn't live in a neighborhood where even one house has one adult "hanging out" front all day during work hours, and not even after hours. (Unless he's in a wheelchair getting sunshine.) Most people have better things to do inside the home, or in their own back yard. I would not want to live in a n'hood with adults who use their front yards as a living room either. These are usually noisy people with too many cars coming and going, or up to no good. They know when you're home, when you leave. Forget that. Any of this would preclude my purchase of even the best home.

Parents hanging out front watching kids is a great sign, however. Kids playing and running all over is great too, as long as they're not running through my yard all the time.

I wouldn't live in a n'hood that doesn't have some form of covenants to keep things fairly neat. Doesn't mean they have to be strict, which can also be intolerable. But something to keep out junkers, front lawn furniture, trashy yards, and things already mentioned.

In an older n'hood, I don't mind freaky paint colors, as long as it looks civilized as a n'hood theme, and everything is well kept. I don't mind rec vehicles as long as they're screened somehow, but not in my face, not falling apart, or hosting the homeless 362 days a year. And not covered with a giant blue tarp.

N'hoods with dogs tied outside is another problem. This would be a deal-breaker. Tied dogs do nothing but bark. And loose dogs who visit every lawn but their own. Those are more easily dealt with than tied dogs, however.

I wouldn't want a n'hood that takes more than 15 minutes to the grocery store, or has only one road in and out.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM

36 posts, read 262,554 times
I am Asian in the mid-20s originally from N. CA, grew up in the "hood" pretty much most of my life up until college. I work downtown with an engineering firm and I'm dressed in at least business casual most of the time. I am not looking into rosy suburbs and more looking into areas that haven't really taken off yet in-town. What I look for in an area is the feel of the neighborhood and then assess its potential. I think have a much larger tolerance for the undesirable things than most folks on this board.

I ask these questions:

Where is it located, how far from downtown, where is the closest retail, is it accessible by the marta, does it have close access to interstates and have back roads leading into town? Does it have access to parks, recreation, restaurants and grocery stores?

Visuals:
Is there much foot traffic in the area, in the inner streets and away from the main thoroughfare? does it have overgrown lawns or cars in the yards or backyards, what is the condition of the houses and the condition of roads, is it tree-lined, what are the types of cars in area and its physical condition? Is there any charm to the style of the houses? do homes that sit vacant get broken into by squatters or stripped of its copper?

Community:
Are there concerned citizen groups, neighborhood associations,and regular neighborhood meetings? What do the teenagers do in the area? How many senior citizens are in the area? Are there investors flipping houses? Does the area feel transient? are there signs of civic pride and people welcoming change? what type of stores are along the main street? any signs of young couples, professionals, artists, gay and lesbians, and 1st time homeowners in the area? Whats the physical condition of the area schools? Is there loud music and cars speeding in interior streets?

Return for investment:
How much of a deal is it compared to more established in-town neighborhoods? Is the area going to appreciate? How long will it take? what are some things that will hinder its growth? how close in proximity is it to areas that are already improving, and proximity to ones with little chance of improvement? What would be the main draw for folks moving into the area?

I am willing to put up with mr crackhead and mr bum and suspicious activity as long as the residents are vigilant in sending a message to them that they are not welcome in the area. The police should be responsive too to citizens calls too. I don't plan to start a family any time soon and so schools don't matter so much. It won't make or break a deal for me. I also like to see sign toppers advertising the neighborhood and homes with the neighborhood association flag hung in front. Neighborhood watch and alarm company signs are a plus. Burglar bars are a minus. Also not a fan to large apartment complexes in any neighborhood

There are lots more things I look for out but these are what comes to mind right now. However, I think my perception will change quite drastically if I was a little older, married and wanting to start a family.

wow this has turned into a looong response. thanks for reading all

Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I wouldn't limit these criteria to Atlanta or GA.

- High crime
- Bad or declining schools
- Declining property values or neigborhoods heading on a downward trend
- Neighbors that don't care...unkempt property and homes
- Lack of good, responsible government
- High taxes
- Lots of rental properties and apartments in the area, especially section 8
- Areas where supermarkets and chains won't open stores and/or closing or abandoned stores

Ditto

Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,914 times
Hmm, so many good points.
I agree with most of what what said above. I just have a problem seeing the ghetto (term used too loosely, nowadays) character where I live. I dont want the big chrome wheeled, 22 inch, old American box cars with the gold teeth, loud music where I live. I have yet to live in those areas in NY or Florida. Georgia is definitely not where I want to start.
To make a long story short, I have a cousin who lives in College Park for example. Although his subdivision is quiet, clean and 'relatively' well maintained, there are elements that I dont want to see in my neighborhood. I may get a lot of slack for saying this, but I say it like it is.
I've been coming to GA a great deal in the last three years, and there are some areas, I do not want to raise my kids in. I am not sure what the schools in his area are like, but seeing the subdivisions and being near Old National Hwy I am not interested. This leads me to some other questions that I will ask in future threads.

Anyways, my list of no nos...
*Crime and the elements listed above.
*Too many foreclosures (although they're all over the place)
*Liquor stores in the area.
*Closing businesses.
*Poor zoning. (subdivisions next to corner stores etc)
*Bad Schools/no libraries.
*No HOAs. Sometimes they can be nuisances, but there are more benefits by having them.
*Crackheads and anyone having easy access to the community (too close to public transportation/bus stop near subdivision kind of thing)
*Another thing I've noticed in some areas while driving through some neighborhoods in Metro Atlanta are houses with carports full of junk. Big deal breaker for me.
*The whole section 8 thing wont work for me either.
*People with no pride in their homes and neighborhood.
*Grass uncut/trash in the area.
*Poorly lit area at night.
*Highway behind subdivision (gets noisy).

Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 AM

14 posts, read 51,364 times
I really hate people who don't tie up their dogs--there are three chihuahua-sized dogs that run in front of my car and bark insanely every time I drive by. It takes the greatest self-restraint for me not to just run them over.

I also get annoyed at overly-picky Home Owner's associations. They told me to change the number on my mail box because it wasn't the "right" color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: