Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:45 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,078,893 times

Advertisements

Anyone moving to GA be prepared to get your credit checked for just about everything (including utilities). Thought this was pretty funny, hopefully my credit won't be ruined by everyone checking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM

47 posts, read 224,774 times
Yeah, I noticed that too. I moved here a few weeks ago.

My understanding of credit is that a series of inquiries within a short amount of time is viewed as one inquiry (ie, perhaps shopping for the best rate for a loan, or relocating such as this).

First it was run by the apartment complex...
Then it was run by Georgia Power...
Then even my new internet service provider ran it!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,898,675 times
Y'all are luckier than foreigners who have no credit file to check.

When we moved to Georgia from Canada, we had to get our gas from the "provider of last resort" and pay deposits to all our utility providers in order to get service at all.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:55 PM

Rainyrainyday, are you serious? That is really crazy. Why is credit such a big deal in GA? In CA it is really simple to get what you need. Unless you skipped out on a provider that's when you have to pay a deposit. I guess I'd better get use to regular interrogations.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,585,025 times
In Florida it is the same way, credit checks for everything.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:14 PM

36 posts, read 221,088 times
When I moved here they did a credit check on all my stuff too. Actually I got rejected for a credit card and when the notice from the company came back and listed the reasons why I was rejected it said,
"Too many recent inquiries."
Yes, 3 times! They think that you're being careless and applying for too much credit when I was really only trying to get the things I need. Anyway, it didn't make my score go down.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,923,591 times
Hey - wait until you apply for a job. Many companies in Atlanta now check your credit report before they'll even hire you. Apartment complexes as well - you could have a spotless 20 year history of paying rents on time, but if your credit score is too low you still won't get an apartment.

I'm an advocate of stopping this practice. I always encourage people to take the time to email their elected officials and demand that the practice of "casual credit score checking" be outlawed. It's out of control. Your credit score means literally everything these days, and it really should only matter if you're applying for credit cards, store credit, a car or home loan, and that's it.

Do it. Sit down. Look up your State and Federal representatives. Demand that this practice not be allowed by just anyone anymore for every little thing.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 PM

pgirl07, that's good to know that the score doesn't get affected. But GA what is up with the credit check thing?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Atlantagreg, are you serious even for a job? That is crazy. Like I mentioned before this type of thing doesn't happen in CA. They might check your background if you are working with money which I totally understand (or if you are working for a government entity). But your credit too. This is ridiculous. Please some one tell me what the deal is. I will make it a point to contact the politicians in GA (don't know what good that will do but I will make it a point).

Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,898,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Rainyrainyday, are you serious? That is really crazy.
Completely serious. If you move to the US from another country, you don't have a US credit history. This may seem obvious, but all the financial systems here depend on credit checks. A person whose SSN is brand new and not known to the credit bureaus is treated like a deadbeat. The problem goes away, eventually, but it takes about a year and in the meantime you can't get credit and it makes some things really difficult.

For a while, when we were moving, I truly thought we weren't going to be able to get hot water at our house, because gas marketers kept refusing me. And I only discovered that my application had been declined when we were en route on our move, because we were taking some vacation time and driving. I was on my cell phone with Scana, GNG, etc. from the tour at Niagara Falls, this is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: