Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:17 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times

Advertisements

Please don't try to insinuate something about my intelligence and intellectual ability because that's ridiculous. I

What I said is the truth, technically. I also said it tongue-in-cheek, hence the cheesy grin ->

And no matter how things are going with sales in your townhome complex it is absurd that a tiny bit newer home would sell over an identical home that had a person in it for a year. I know it happens, I am not denying that. I am just saying it's absurd. I wonder at why people buy in these places when it's well known this happens? I mean, unless you know you're going to live there well past the completion of the last unit it's a losing situation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
And no matter how things are going with sales in your townhome complex it is absurd that a tiny bit newer home would sell over an identical home that had a person in it for a year. I know it happens, I am not denying that. I am just saying it's absurd. I wonder at why people buy in these places when it's well known this happens? I mean, unless you know you're going to live there well past the completion of the last unit it's a losing situation....
Pless, what criteria a buyer brings to the table as far as buying a house goes is boundless IMO...that is evident from what I experience on this forum...you and I are pretty 'simpatica' as far as what we love...charm, history, heritage, 'patina' and potential. Others feel quite differently, and fortunately there's plenty out there on the market to meet their needs as well.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM

This would be very, very true. But I still shake my head in wonder and bemusemebt at those who don't think re-sale....or those who buy a house while knowing there is great potential for moving within 5 years...

Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
I'm full of sympathy with Pless the mathematician here. Absolutely, in general, comparisons of old houses here and new houses there are full of tangible and intangible factors weighted differently by different buyers and sellers.

But in the case of a new townhouse development, where all the units are so much the same, it's an affront to logic that a brand-new unit would be worth a really large amount more than a one to three year old unit in the same complex. How can that be? Don't home buyers normally expect their home to hold value or appreciate, so long as it's adequately maintained? Everyone knows that new cars depreciate rapidly, and people who buy new cars are willing to live with that, but we don't expect our homes to depreciate like new cars, do we? That's the whole point of the new car comparison - homes aren't supposed to be like cars, in most peoples' thinking.

If a new home really became "old" all that fast, Bob K's extra time with his kids (thanks to not having to do maintenance chores on his new home) is going to expire pretty darned soon, and Bob will be right back in the old-house grind he described. But I really think Bob doesn't expect his nice new home to be a grungy old home by the time he's owned it three years. That's what seems so odd about the phenomenon pointed out by spacelord75.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Yowzers....didn't think this would blow up so much! You guys were hitting on exactly what I was getting at. I am not sure why BGS99 is getting so bent out of shape about this, although I understand what his point is about buyers dictating market value. His taking offense or arguing about the car analogy, though, is incongruent with reality however, because that analogy was spot on in this circumstance. Also, while the brand new construction may carry a value to the buyer, the reason why it would be an imprudent INVESTMENT is because it has obviously already lost value (evident by the comparable assets, which are now basically all equal). It is very similar to a car, in fact - the loss one would experience on selling a car they purchased "new" versus "pre-owned" is larger. This is the same case here. Yes - YOU may get more value out of the newer home (value = enjoyment on a person by person basis, assuming you are so inclined) but you must also obviously then understand that your loss will be more substantial than if you had purchased the pre-owned/resale property instead. This is where pure logic would say this is a poor investment.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
And yes, I was referring to a situation where all townhomes were identical floorplans built within 1-3 years of each other, with minimal deviations in upgrades/appliances/etc.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
And yes, I was referring to a situation where all townhomes were identical floorplans built within 1-3 years of each other, with minimal deviations in upgrades/appliances/etc.
While we can debate what's "smart", "right", "sensible" or whatever all day, if I have the choice between buying a brand new house thats exactly what I want, with a full warranty, rather than one thats a few years old with someone else's colors, dinged up walls, scuffed floors, weathered deck, etc., I'll take the brand new house hands down. Others may disagree (obviously), and would rather buy the used one that's already got the window blinds, the fence, etc.- and that's their perogative.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Bob, I think you're talking about something else. A custom home is always the best choice, if you can afford it. Custom homes, as long as they're not so custom as to be weird, are usually good investments. They're better quality, usually, and unique.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Bob, I think you're talking about something else. A custom home is always the best choice, if you can afford it. Custom homes, as long as they're not so custom as to be weird, are usually good investments. They're better quality, usually, and unique.
I'm not talking about custom- I'm just talking about being able to walk into Pulte's sales office and make the cabinet/countertop/tile and other option selections that I want, rather than having to buy what someone else put together.

Another thing to consider as well- given the recent drop in market value, in some cases you can actually buy a new house for less than what people paid for the 1 year-old house down the street. So, unless the seller is willing to take a beating on the price, plus eat a 6% loss on commissions, you're not likely to really get a bargain buying a house that's only a year or two old if you're buying in a subdivision that's still being built out.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 AM

I guess in times like these it's probably not the best investment ot buy in a subdivision that's NOT built out and mostly sold.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta