Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:24 PM

5 posts, read 39,143 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone-

I am a single guy in my mid-20's who is relocating to Atlanta within the next couple months for work. I am not that familiar with the area, and am wondering where is the best place you would recommend for me to look to live. I would prefer to live in an area which is similar to my age group (mid 20's) and which has young professionals.

If you could recommend any specific condo or apartment communities in the area that you suggest would be a bonus!

extra info: My spending limit is around 700-1,000 for rent or 150-250k for a condo.

Thanks a ton!!
Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
In what part of town will you be working? Traffic is nightmarish in Atlanta so unless you will be working from home or don't mind spending hours in traffic, you'll want to find an area convenient to your place of work.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:44 PM

i'll be working over by the King & Queen buildings. I don't mind a 30-45 minute commute, i'm used to that. I've heard that Vinings is a nice area to live... and also parts of Midtown? Just don't know the slightest thing about the areas.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 AM

22 posts, read 90,207 times
Default I recommend Midtown

I live in Midtown, so I'm biased, but rightly so. Midtown offers fantastic walking neighborhoods with access to MARTA, easy access to the major highways and access to the largest green space in the city, Piedmont Park. You're in walking distance to shopping, restaurants, night life, sporting events, theaters, museums, grocery stores and thousands of other residents who all enjoy the same.

The commute to the Perimeter area is not a bad one, especially since it would be the reverse commute. It's just a straight shot up GA 400. The only trouble you may have is returning into the city in the evenings, especially on Fridays or if there is an event going on such as a Braves game, etc.

You should also be able to find great options for housing within the price ranges you mentioned. Talk to a realtor who specializes in the intown market and you can't go wrong!

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Check out the Midtown Alliance's website Midtown Alliance to find out more about Midtown.

I lived in Midtown when I was in my 20's and loved it. I still have the condo there that I rent out and it always stays rented. Piedmont Park is incredible and I go and play tennis there at least once a week despite having tennis courts closer to my current residence.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Since you are working in the K & Q buildings, I would definitely rent in the Perimeter Area. There are tons of young professionals that live there, and plenty of good restaurants & retail. You're also close to a few Marta stations. You would have to go other places for good nightlife though.

I lived in the heart of Midtown for 2 years, and absolutely love that area. But you may want to stick to Perimeter to save on gas and commute time.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM

269 posts, read 1,069,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAnt View Post
Hey Everyone-

I am a single guy in my mid-20's who is relocating to Atlanta within the next couple months for work. I am not that familiar with the area, and am wondering where is the best place you would recommend for me to look to live. I would prefer to live in an area which is similar to my age group (mid 20's) and which has young professionals.

If you could recommend any specific condo or apartment communities in the area that you suggest would be a bonus!

extra info: My spending limit is around 700-1,000 for rent or 150-250k for a condo.

Thanks a ton!!
Kevin
It would help a lot to know more about you, your lifestyle, and your activities. Also, where are you moving from?

A beer-drinking frat boy who went to the University of Virginia and is working in management is going to get different advice (at least from me) than a graphic arts major from Oberlin who likes to toke up on weekends.

If you tell me honestly the last five movies you liked, I could probably get pretty close

Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM

thanks for all your responses, it helps greatly!

hahaha nah i am not a beer guzzling frat boy... but i am the happy hour type during the week every now and then when i get a chance. and i do like to go out on the weekends to meet the ladies ;-)
big baseball/sports guy on top of it. like to run on the weekends too. but my job takes up most of my time during the week, so i'm pretty much tied up with work until the weekends.

lets see.. last 5 movies? forgetting sarah marshall, what happens in vegas, recount (on hbo), major league, and we'll count the tv show HOUSE on dvd.

what are some good apartments/condo communities in midtown or vinings that have 1 bedroom / 1 bath places to rent for around $700-$1000?

hope that helps somewhat!
Thanks

Last edited by KevinAnt; 06-09-2008 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 20,192 times
I am transferring jobs too. My headquarters is in Sandy Springs and I am confused on where I want to live and Daycare/schooling for my kids. I'm going down next month I guess to figure all that stuff out..

Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 AM

anyone else have any more info?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta