Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2023, 12:24 PM

166 posts, read 173,097 times

Advertisements

Thanks B2R - and to all of you who continue to help and humor me through this. If you are ever feeling fatigued by my incessant questions, please feel free to ignore me for a while until you are ready to rinse and repeat - but please dont leave me i need the handholding!!!

ok so i keep saying all my questions are the last questions but im apparently a lying liar:

I've been scouring past threads and there are some great info and resources you all have provided there. my next question is in regards to the housing market.

We're going to start looking at homes in December when we are down there. Would like to make a decision by then at the minimum on community and school district. this will allow us to target homes (and outsource home viewing from afar to our realtor) and/ or focus on an area/ neighborhood to rent in if we dont find something we like right away (this is less than ideal because i dont want to do a move more than once but - it is what it is). Market related questions:

1) chateau elan, hamilton mills, edinburgh- has the market "cooled" a bit" or is it still an insane dogfight house by house?
2) would it be fair to say the chateau elan and hamilton mills communities will be less of a blood bath than Edinburgh because of the high school cluster (mill creek vs north gwinnett) and/ or because of distance from atlanta?
3) are things a little easier for buyers now versus last year? worse? should we expect a less competitive process because we're looking at homes in jan instead of closer to the summer or are we up against everyone else that has had the same bright idea?
4) anything else we should know/ ask realtors specific to these communities when we see homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 06:55 AM

68 posts, read 25,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazaza View Post
Thanks B2R - and to all of you who continue to help and humor me through this. If you are ever feeling fatigued by my incessant questions, please feel free to ignore me for a while until you are ready to rinse and repeat - but please dont leave me i need the handholding!!!

ok so i keep saying all my questions are the last questions but im apparently a lying liar:

I've been scouring past threads and there are some great info and resources you all have provided there. my next question is in regards to the housing market.

We're going to start looking at homes in December when we are down there. Would like to make a decision by then at the minimum on community and school district. this will allow us to target homes (and outsource home viewing from afar to our realtor) and/ or focus on an area/ neighborhood to rent in if we dont find something we like right away (this is less than ideal because i dont want to do a move more than once but - it is what it is). Market related questions:

1) chateau elan, hamilton mills, edinburgh- has the market "cooled" a bit" or is it still an insane dogfight house by house?
2) would it be fair to say the chateau elan and hamilton mills communities will be less of a blood bath than Edinburgh because of the high school cluster (mill creek vs north gwinnett) and/ or because of distance from atlanta?
3) are things a little easier for buyers now versus last year? worse? should we expect a less competitive process because we're looking at homes in jan instead of closer to the summer or are we up against everyone else that has had the same bright idea?
4) anything else we should know/ ask realtors specific to these communities when we see homes?
Do yourself a favor. Relax. Your all stressed out, without even living down there yet. All these questions, you will get many different answers. Just move down there, and then experience it, and you will find out these things yourself. MAKE SURE you get a good RE agent, a good one will help you with ALL these questions.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
Do yourself a favor. Relax. Your all stressed out, without even living down there yet. All these questions, you will get many different answers. Just move down there, and then experience it, and you will find out these things yourself. MAKE SURE you get a good RE agent, a good one will help you with ALL these questions.
Yes, telling someone to relax when they need to move to a new state 14 hours away with 3 young kids is definitely the best way to make sure they do, in fact, relax. Better yet, maybe I take your advice and just move down there with zero understanding or preparation and waste time, money, energy, and punt my kids around from school to school while I figure out "as we go" what to do in a competitive housing market.

Pass. I do appreciate your "just go with the flow" sentiment, it's just not the one I have the luxury or privilege of adopting.

Old 11-23-2023, 10:52 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,521,350 times
Quote:

The market in those communities seems to have cooled a bit compared to the insane levels of activity that was happening from Spring 2020-Spring 2022. But there still seems to be a noticeably high amount of consumer interest and activity in those areas because of the extremely high quality of the schools and because of the numerous hubs of well-paying jobs located relatively nearby.

Quote:
That seems to be a good assessment that the Chateau Elan and Hamilton Mill communities may be at least slightly less competitive than a community like Edinburgh.

But much of the North Gwinnett HS cluster (including the Edinburgh community) will be in even higher demand than the high-demand Mill Creek HS cluster because North Gwinnett High School is a school with the highest ratings possible (10 out of 10 rating on the Great Schools website) that is increasingly popular with Asian families.

(Currently, roughly about one-third of North Gwinnett High School’s student population is Asian.)

In addition to being in significantly greater demand with Asian families than the Mill Creek HS cluster, the North Gwinnett HS cluster also seems to be in even higher demand than the Mill Creek HS cluster, not necessarily because the North Gwinnett HS cluster is closer to Atlanta but because the North Gwinnett HS cluster is closer to Alpharetta (in neighboring North Fulton and South Forsyth counties), which has stunningly emerged as a huge major hub of well-paying tech and white collar jobs and industry since after the end of the Great Recession in the early 2010’s.

And distance from Atlanta may not necessarily be the factor that one might think. That’s because while many North Gwinnett HS cluster and Mill Creek HS cluster residents may commute to Central Atlanta (including large employment hubs like Downtown Atlanta, Midtown Atlanta, Buckhead, Emory University, Perimeter Center and Cumberland), many North Gwinnett HS cluster and Mill Creek HS cluster residents also commute to outlying large North/Northeast metro Atlanta regional employment hubs like Suwanee, Buford, Lawrenceville, Duluth, Norcross, Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Cumming, Flowery Branch, Gainesville or the I-85 Northeast corridor through Jackson County.

As you can see, Atlanta is a very multi-nodal large major metropolitan region, with a massive amount of well-paying jobs located outside of the urban core in outlying areas like North and Northeast metro Atlanta.

Quote:
Compared to the historically high amount of home buying that was going on from Spring 2020 to Spring 2022, things may not necessarily be as challenging, but the real estate market is still noticeably competitive because of the extremely high quality of the schools and because of all of the well-paying jobs in the greater North/Northeast metro Atlanta region.

The Mill Creek HS cluster may be at least slightly less competitive than the North Gwinnett HS cluster (which is extremely popular with Asian homebuyers) and the Buford City Schools system (which is extremely popular with Hispanic homebuyers).

Quote:
Just be sure to check what school attendance zones any home is in so that you can be absolutely certain what schools your children will be attending if you decide to buy and move into any particular home.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:46 PM

68 posts, read 25,803 times
Quote:
Yes, telling someone to relax when they need to move to a new state 14 hours away with 3 young kids is definitely the best way to make sure they do, in fact, relax. Better yet, maybe I take your advice and just move down there with zero understanding or preparation and waste time, money, energy, and punt my kids around from school to school while I figure out "as we go" what to do in a competitive housing market.

Pass. I do appreciate your "just go with the flow" sentiment, it's just not the one I have the luxury or privilege of adopting.
Why so offended??? Wasn't meant that way, not sure where I said to move down there with no preparation? Now I'm thinking you really do need to relax. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
That is excellent advice to the OP and others preparing to relocate to different states and metros to get a good real estate agent that expertly knows the area that one will be relocating to.

But in the same vein the OP and others who may be preparing to relocate to a different state or metro need to be encouraged to ask as many questions as they think they need to ask to get the information that they need to make their relocation experience the best one possible.

Moving anywhere (particularly to a different metro in a different state nearly 900 miles away as the OP is preparing to do in moving from Southeastern New York to North Georgia) is a major life event for which one cannot ask enough questions to make sure that a family makes the best relocation choices possible, especially when children are involved.

It’s more than okay for the OP and others preparing to make big relocations to ask as many questions as they need and want to get the information that they need to make the most informed relocation decisions possible, especially when preparing to relocate to an area that they may not be the most familiar with.

Quote:

You are right to ask as many questions as you need and/or want from as many sources as needed to get the information to attempt to make the best choices during something that is as major of a life event as a relocation to a different metro in a different state hundreds of miles away.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want and/or need to get the information that you and your family need in advance of your coming move from New York to Georgia.

Old 11-24-2023, 02:45 AM

So, can someone help me understand the disparity in property taxes for these 2 properties?
Like what am I paying for exactly in chateau elan 5801 Sq ft and .42 acres where I'm looking at $1003/ month:

https://redf.in/PD3BPW

vs.

Hamilton Mill 5293 sq ft and .45 acres at half that at $509/ month (and even has a pool):

https://redf.in/YtW7XN

Even in Edinburgh, just a bit smaller at 4891 sq ft and .5 acres is at $468/ month:

https://redf.in/nJ5KP3

We have a week when we get down there to see as much as we can and I do want to maximize our time. Granted even though chateau elan's taxes are significantly less than what we're coughing up here in NY, if the juice isn't worth the squeeze, would rather target our efforts accordingly.

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2023, 09:41 AM

Also: snooping around online a bit and Realtor popped up some nice properties in Jefferson (Jefferson schools). I see minority enrollment significantly less but academically and athletically they seem to fare really well.

Am I safe to assume Jefferson is very similar to North Oconee in terms of politics, general community vibes, and in being more insular and "white"?

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was super nervous reading about the minority experiences in North Oconee schools and am just doing a quick check that Jefferson would likely mirror the same?

Old 11-24-2023, 09:56 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,863,317 times
Jefferson is really far out there. It's not as remote as it used to be, but it's definitely exurban. I cannot imagine that there is going to be much diversity in that area, either ethnically or politically. In a few words, very conservative, very white.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Jefferson is really far out there. It's not as remote as it used to be, but it's definitely exurban. I cannot imagine that there is going to be much diversity in that area, either ethnically or politically. In a few words, very conservative, very white.
This.

CMMom hit the nail right on the head with these remarks as Jefferson is the seat of government in a county (Jackson County) where Republicans routinely win about 80% of the vote in major statewide elections.

Jefferson (and surrounding Jackson County) is an extremely conservative exurban/rural community.

To demonstrate just how extremely conservative of a community Jefferson is, there is a Georgia state legislator from Jefferson who recently got into trouble for saying nice things about the Ku Klux Klan.

This Georgia state legislator is a known to be a staunch supporter of the Confederacy and is a defender of all things Confederate, including Confederate monuments.

The Georgia state legislator’s expressed sentiments about the KKK and the Confederacy are not necessarily the most uncommon in an exurban/rural community like Jefferson and Jackson County where the site of Confederate flags (while not as common as they used to be in decades past) still may not be completely uncommon.

And even with noticeably above-average school ratings, exurban/rural school systems like Jefferson City Schools and Jackson County Schools may not have the financial resources that suburban metro Atlanta school systems like Gwinnett County Public Schools and Buford City Schools may have access to.

Quote:
Also: snooping around online a bit and Realtor popped up some nice properties in Jefferson (Jefferson schools). I see minority enrollment significantly less but academically and athletically they seem to fare really well.

Am I safe to assume Jefferson is very similar to North Oconee in terms of politics, general community vibes, and in being more insular and "white"?

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was super nervous reading about the minority experiences in North Oconee schools and am just doing a quick check that Jefferson would likely mirror the same?
While maybe just slightly less “white” than Oconee County; Jefferson (and Jackson County actually is even more deeply conservative than is Oconee County where the deep exurban/rural conservatism seems to be moderated at least somewhat by the influence of nearby Athens and the University of Georgia academic community.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 11-24-2023 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta