Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 04:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times

Advertisements

Next to the Toco Hill Kroger a new place to eat has just opened.

'Maldives'
Terriyaki/BBQ

I tried the beef terriyaki tonight and it was great. It comes with miso soup and seaweed salad, IIRC.

Take out and a few tables to dine in.

Next door 'Simone's' bakery is coming soon. I will be so happy. I love everything at the Bagel Palace but look forward to what Simone may offer. Fingers cross there will be all kinds of bread and perhaps some French pastry. This should be a very popular spot.

Next door to Simone's there is the Young Chef's academy. LOL--I really need to work there. In my heart I know I am Rachel Ray. To travel the US and taste the regional cuisines is what I was born to do.

Things are looking up for Toco Hills. Now if something can be done about the traffic headed back and forth to Emory and Decatur I could not ask for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:42 PM

513 posts, read 1,631,918 times
Yeah, saw that. Had many meals in the former Chinese place. We take our tot to Gymboree a few places down. I always thought she was getting excited in the parking lot because of Gymboree... maybe it's really because she wants to try Maldives.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:58 AM

66 posts, read 432,369 times
The Bagel Palace over there is also really good

Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 AM

Mama Fu's is great.

Across the street by LA Fitness --Shorty's has great salads and pizza.

And of course the new Steak and Shake.

I usually go to Wendy's---LOL--or Publix and Kroger.

There is a good jeweler next to the Bagel Palace--Jeff--of Alexander's been there for years.

I am a graduate of the former Briarcliff High School --Class of '66--FWIW. I would walk up to Toco Hill(s)/really only one hill--Top of the County/Toco.
There was a good dime store--Ben Franklin's. I believe I purchased Cliff Notes for Latin and French there. Got in so much trouble for not 'listening well' in those classes. Thinking about 'other' things. :-)

Briarcliff never had much of a football team--beaten soundly by Avondale, coached by Calvin Ramsey, Southwest DeKalb and our arch enemy Druid Hills Devils.
We had a great band--and the majorettes were exceptionally good--LOL.
'Geeks and Nerds'---Briarcliff High School Barons. Challenged to go change the world in the right way. 'Excellence'--DeKalb County believed in that profoundly.

It is pretty much a full time job for me at times making sure that DeKalb County maintains N. Druid Hills Rd in the manner to which I became accustomed.

LOL--last fall we had a particularly intense discussion about the lack of excellence in the way the traffic signals work. Finally, I believe I communicated clearly enough that 'Something' was done. If you ever need to cross N. Druid Hills at Briarcliff you can think of me. :-)

The head engineer in charge of the area is a very calm and patient man and many fine DeKalb PD officers serve this area--I can tell you that. If you are considering a move to the area.

Loehman's Plaza has some good places to eat--Moe's, Panera, Starbucks. Chick Fil A and the Tin Roof--live music or music of some kind and a patio. Next to that the Indian plaza.

At Clairmont--an Ethiopian restaurant--and several other places to buy ethnic foods.

One of my favorite places further down Clairmont is Violette's--Country French--Julia Child would love their Coq Au Vin. I wish I had paid better attention in French class. Would love to visit Provence and live as Peter Mayle did. He has written some good books about that area. Lots of food involved. Worth a read.

LOL--I feel fortunate to live near the Italian villa in Briarcliff Heights. Could not ask for a better neighbor than the owner.
If you could have seen Briarcliff Heights 50 years ago you would never have thought it would become what it is today. The now tall trees were scrawny saplings and how families with 4/5 children lived in the tiny houses is something to ponder--but that is what we did.

Go Boomers!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:07 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRes73 View Post
The Bagel Palace over there is also really good
Loved getting my bagels at Einstein's across the street until I discovered Bagel Palace. Now, BP has ruined me on Einstein's for bagels.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Loved getting my bagels at Einstein's across the street until I discovered Bagel Palace. Now, BP has ruined me on Einstein's for bagels.
Einstein's --Everything bagel is one of my favorite treats. LOL--'If' and it is a big 'If'--you can cross N. Druid Hills. The only person I have seen actually get across at light at the MacDonalds was someone who seemed to be training for the Peachtree. You only get about 30 seconds.

To live here you really have to stay fit, I have concluded.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,580 times
Violette's is a really good restaurant!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Violette's is a really good restaurant!

Pless, anytime you are ready --Let's Go.

I have a -cough- flexible schedule at the moment. Starting a 3 or 4th career soon--not certain what it will be but it will be something I really enjoy--perhaps involving food or real estate.

As they tell us--you can do 'Anything' with a teaching degree--:-).

'I'm Just Moving Clouds Today'--one of my favorite books/Ashleigh Brilliant

Anyone who has not heard of Ashleigh Brilliant should click this link. LOL. PhD/Berkley. His pot shots always get me going. (Something of cynic but he speaks to me.)
ashleigh brilliant -- home page

I'm a 'redhead', too. More auburn now but red enough start a few fires when necessary.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,383 times
We are huge fans of Top Spice in the Kroger center. We always take out-of-town guests there and everyone loves it. My friend from Boston came down for a weekend and wanted to eat there twice in three days.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I am a graduate of the former Briarcliff High School --Class of '66--FWIW.
Briarcliff High, to thee we're singing
Hear our voices ever ringing
Noble sons and daughters bringing
Glory to thy name

March we ever onward
Barons brave and strong
We will always love and cherish
Days together when our hearts were young

To our colors blue and silver
Pledging our loyalty forever
Sing to thee with praise and honor
Hail to Briarcliff High

LD, BHS Class of 73

BTW where is the Italian Villa in Briarcliff Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: