Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM

46 posts, read 211,693 times

Advertisements

Wassup people! My husband and I (both teachers) just got hired in North Fulton county, near Roswell. We anticipate living in Roswell as well. We are both in our early 30's and have no children which means we are still in the party scene. Is Roswell far away from the "grown and sexy" city and club life of Atlanta? How far (in minutes)?

Also, we are South Floridians and my husband is kind of paranoid about the fact that Roswell is not in the "heart " of Atlanta and sort of believes that there are no Black people there. I don't think that way, I am under the understanding that Roswell is very diverse. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 04:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel74 View Post
Also, we are South Floridians and my husband is kind of paranoid about the fact that Roswell is not in the "heart " of Atlanta and sort of believes that there are no Black people there. I don't think that way, I am under the understanding that Roswell is very diverse. Am I correct?
Well, according to the City-Data web page on Rowell:

Races in Roswell:

* White Non-Hispanic (75.5%)
* Hispanic (10.6%)
* Black (8.5%)
* Other race (4.1%)
* Two or more races (1.9%)
* Asian Indian (1.2%)
* Korean (0.8%)
* Chinese (0.8%)
* American Indian (0.6%)

which is quite different from where I live in southern Cobb (Mableton):

* White Non-Hispanic (57.7%)
* Black (29.3%)
* Hispanic (9.8%)
* Other race (4.6%)
* Two or more races (2.0%)
* American Indian (0.8%)
* Asian Indian (0.6%)

and the City of Atlanta itself:

* Black (61.4%)
* White Non-Hispanic (31.3%)
* Hispanic (4.5%)
* Other race (2.0%)
* Two or more races (1.2%)
* Asian Indian (0.6%)
* American Indian (0.5%)

However, it's far more diverse than where I grew up (Minnetonka, MN):

* White Non-Hispanic (93.7%)
* Black (1.5%)
* Hispanic (1.3%)
* Two or more races (1.0%)
* Asian Indian (0.6%)
* Other race (0.6%)

and where I lived previous to moving down here (Eden Prairie, MN):

* White Non-Hispanic (89.7%)
* Black (2.3%)
* Hispanic (1.6%)
* Two or more races (1.5%)
* Asian Indian (1.4%)
* Chinese (1.1%)
* Vietnamese (0.8%)
* Other Asian (0.7%)
* Other race (0.5%)

so I guess it's all relative.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,176 times
But to give you a less statistical based answer...yes, Roswell is away from everything. You will feel far away, even if you're not. If you're into clubs, hotspots, the scene and just want to live near these things, Roswell is not the place to be. I live 8 miles from Buckhead and feel like I'm in another country.
You would be doing a reverse commute to Roswell should you choose to live in Buckhead, Midtown or other in-town hotspots, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. I'd look in Brookhaven too. Welcome!!! Great choice of cities!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
But to give you a less statistical based answer...yes, Roswell is away from everything. You will feel far away, even if you're not. If you're into clubs, hotspots, the scene and just want to live near these things, Roswell is not the place to be. I live 8 miles from Buckhead and feel like I'm in another country.
You would be doing a reverse commute to Roswell should you choose to live in Buckhead, Midtown or other in-town hotspots, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. I'd look in Brookhaven too. Welcome!!! Great choice of cities!
Unless there's a large amount of $$ coming in from someplace, I'd doubt that 2 teachers are going to afford much in any of those areas, though.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
I used to come all the way from Macon back when I was in college so I guess Roswell is pretty close to me.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Unless there's a large amount of $$ coming in from someplace, I'd doubt that 2 teachers are going to afford much in any of those areas, though.
Excellent point, Mr Kovacs. Although maybe this childless partying couple is thinking apartment for now? They didn't actually mention whether or not they were thinking of buying a home.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Excellent point, Mr Kovacs. Although maybe this childless partying couple is thinking apartment for now? They didn't actually mention whether or not they were thinking of buying a home.
Could be, though even some of the apartment prices are getting pretty steep for the safe, intown neighborhoods. Probably still a little more affordable than purchasing though.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,176 times
That is a good point...I was actually thinking of renting vs. buying so definitely take these points into consideration if buying. If renting, you can still get a deal. Craigslist is the place to look first, especially in more expensive areas as many FRBOs are listed there.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:12 PM

28 posts, read 122,397 times
Roswell is not a party scene, but it has great shopping and parks etc. It is actually pretty sophisticated, but more for affluent families. It is racially diverse, but more because of a large Hispanic community (Mexican-American). It is great place to live, but not party in. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:12 PM

175 posts, read 439,316 times
Night life is out of the question in these areas. Unless you like bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta