Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 16,219 times

Advertisements

Hello, We live in a NY suburb. Our single son ( in his 30's) lives in Alpharetta but is working much of the time. We would like to retire near o ur son ( within an hour is fine) but don't know where to look. Looking for a retirement kind of house ( so not large), or condo or townhome. It can be a 55 plus place but if not, something with a community pool/clubhouse area so we can meet people. I hate that politics comes into play as I don't discuss but also don't want people to hate us - we are middle of the road democrats who h ave also voted Republican. We don't bash and don't want to be bashed. We are in our mid 60's and would also like to join a Jewish Reform mtemple in the area. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 02:02 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,521,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendySue55 View Post
Hello, We live in a NY suburb. Our single son ( in his 30's) lives in Alpharetta but is working much of the time. We would like to retire near o ur son ( within an hour is fine) but don't know where to look. Looking for a retirement kind of house ( so not large), or condo or townhome. It can be a 55 plus place but if not, something with a community pool/clubhouse area so we can meet people. I hate that politics comes into play as I don't discuss but also don't want people to hate us - we are middle of the road democrats who h ave also voted Republican. We don't bash and don't want to be bashed. We are in our mid 60's and would also like to join a Jewish Reform mtemple in the area. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Alpharetta itself (along with neighboring areas like Johns Creek, Roswell and Milton) would be a good place to start your search if you want to be near your son. Though you will have to deal with lots of traffic and potentially may need at least a somewhat generous budget.

Areas like Cumming, Canton, Holly Springs, Dawsonville, Waleska, Big Canoe, Gainesville (around Lake Lanier) and maybe Woodstock are North metro Atlanta and North Georgia outer-suburban and exurban communities where you could consider retiring to.

These areas are all decidedly and overwhelmingly conservative, though there has been some bit of moderation with so many Northeastern, Midwestern and California transplants moving into the area, especially in more developed outer-suburban areas like Cumming, Woodstock and much of Canton.

And while there may be and will be a noticeable number of demonstrative political displays in those areas, most people in those areas by far will not try to push, force or impose their personal political views on others.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:26 PM

Temple Kol Emeth Reform (East Cobb), Congregation Dor Tamid (Johns Creek), Temple Emanu-El of Atlanta (Sandy Springs), Temple Sinai (Sandy Springs), and The Temple (historic Jewish Reform temple in Midtown Atlanta) are some greater North Atlanta Jewish Reform congregations that come to mind.

And here is an extensive list of Jewish synagogues in the Atlanta metropolitan area that might be able to help you find what you are looking for:
2021 Synagogue Guide for Jewish Atlanta
Find your place for the High Holidays with this list of Synagogues located around Jewish Atlanta. Shuls are listed by Denomination.
(Atlanta Jewish Times, 13 Aug 2021)

Most Jewish synagogues are located in North metro Atlanta (in urban and suburban areas located decidedly and noticeably north of I-20) where most (if not nearly all) of the Atlanta region’s Jewish community is concentrated.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,710,262 times
I might consider places like Jasper, Ellijay, Big Canoe, Bent Tree. They are in the mountains, but with good access to the metro? Prices will also be a bit cheaper than the tier 1/2 suburbs.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:07 PM

416 posts, read 973,077 times
You didn’t mention a budget. What is your price range?

Old 05-04-2022, 04:25 PM

25,825 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Retire to a county that doesn't charge 65+'ers for the school part of property tax....like Forsyth County.

I'd suggest rolling hills of Northwestern Forsyth County. You'd be close to:

-the North GA Mountains for lots of interesting day or weekend trips up to the wineries or Mountain towns like Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, & Helen.

-lake Lanier's close by

-lots of good retail off Marketplace Blvd in Cumming, & not too far from Avalon in Alpharetta, & the outlet mall in Dawsonville.

Forsyth has good parks & libraries, low crime, churches.

If you want a place your kids & grandkids grandkids will love to visit you at, go see Big Canoe. Its like a resort community in the Mountains, about 45 minutes North of Alpharetta. Kids love Big Canoe, and lots of retirees there too w/ lots of activities.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:16 PM

711 posts, read 684,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Retire to a county that doesn't charge 65+'ers for the school part of property tax....like Forsyth County.
I've never understood why this is considered a good thing in some circles aside from the obvious financial benefit. There's no better return on investment than education that benefits society at large, and I'd gladly pay for it than for the prison industrial complex. /rant

Old 05-08-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I've never understood why this is considered a good thing in some circles aside from the obvious financial benefit. There's no better return on investment than education that benefits society at large, and I'd gladly pay for it than for the prison industrial complex. /rant
You make an excellent point that not charging homeowners who are age 65 and older the school part of property taxes carries much obvious financial benefit for the age 65+ homeowners that get a big reduction in their property tax bill.

But not charging age 65+ homeowners the school part of the property tax bill not only provides much obvious financial benefit to those homeowners who don’t have to pay that part of the property tax bill, but also provides much political benefit to the county governments that practice that policy.

That’s because older homeowners (including those age 65+) very often participate and vote in political elections more than any other group.

So the policy exempting age 65+ homeowners from having to pay the school portion of property taxes often may also benefit the politicians who run the local government providing that financial benefit to the bloc of voters that often participate the most in local elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta