Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:08 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
We're not doing that bad. We're attracting companies, jobs, and people. We need to get a handle on crime and fix infrastructure. None of that is unique to Atlanta. With fresh leadership, Atlanta has better times ahead. Alpharetta will always be Atlanta when these people travel abroad no matter how much they want to discount the City.
Please make specific, doable requests regarding infrastructure on ATL311.

Repaving bad pavement roads, filling potholes, replacing unreadable street signs.... will be done if you ask, sometimes it takes more than one request, but I've gotten about 60% of my requests completed.

They will even call you afterwards and ask if you are satisfied with the result.

I believe the city is flush with cash with the development boom continuing unabated.

Property tax revenue must be mindboggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 08:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Gwinnett County Airport and Dobbins Air Reserve Base are good sites geographically and on paper to want to locate a second major airport for the Atlanta region.

But both Gwinnett County Airport (Briscoe Field) and Dobbins ARB are closely surrounded by a heavy amount of existing development (including much nearby residential development) that make those sites poor candidates because of a very limited ability to expand their operations and facilities as needed in the future and because of concerns about jet noise in the numerous residential neighborhoods that are located very close by to those facilities.

I’ve personally long thought of the existing Jackson County Airport (located off of I-85 near Jefferson in Northeast Georgia northeast of metro Atlanta, and located about 20-25 miles from Athens) as being a good site for a potential second major airport because there is still a sparsity of residential development in the area. Though, any plans to upgrade and expand the facility likely would have to be executed fast because (even though the site is located more than 62 miles from Five Points) an increasing amount of exurban development seems to be closing in on the area pretty fast:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ja....5552062?hl=en

The existing Cherokee County Airport would also be a good location for the development of a second major airport. Though, Cherokee County residents (who think of and cherish the county’s identity as semi-rural Appalachian foothills exurbia ringed by Southern Appalachian wilderness) often can (and will) be highly-averse to anything they consider to be large-scale commercial development proposals.

That explosion of development that point out is very true now which is why it was so important to have had a second facility built before 2000. I like Cherokee county more so than Jackson maybe because, it can draw people south from Chattanooga and as you said, it less developed. But the Jackson County site has the benefit of serving Athens and maybe better road access with 85, I985 and University Parkway.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:23 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Residential real estate has always been racially segregated in the US. White flight occurred for two simple reasons. White people have low tolerance for living in proximity to Black people and fear the thought of their children attending schools with more than a small number of Black children. The fundamentally racist real estate system during the White flight era allowed White people to move to places where they knew Black people were prohibited from following them. So they fled to the suburbs.

The fact is that residential real estate remains largely racially segregated in the US to this day largely because of the behavior of White people. And despite the passing of laws prohibiting racially discriminatory real estate practices those practices remain far from rare.

As for a second airport, it’s never going to happen.
You are incorrect on almost every assertion.

Regardless of what happened in the 1950s and 60s, "white flight" is not having any effect on today's market or home values.

The South is much more integrated than other parts of the country. Every suburb and every subdivision in heavily populated Southern states has residents of all ethnicities.

The term "white flight" has been misused and is still assumed to be causing racial division. I don't believe any of it in today's America.

Socioeconomic factors and related aspects likely began a movement to the suburbs as inner cities aged and lost their luster.

Today however, the suburbs are aging and decaying and the inner cities are the sought-after places to be for people that can afford to live there.

I feel that cities in GA and NC are fully integrated across all neighborhoods. The South has done a great job of considering all people equal and only their actions can alter opinions.

Give other people the benefit of the doubt initially rather than use monikers to assign guilt to everything under the sun before seeing concrete proof.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:55 AM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
I still don't understand why anyone still engages ronricks on this forum in good faith.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:50 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No reasonable person believes such naked animosity stems from a one-term, non-reelection-seeking mayor whose administration coincided with the worst global pandemic of its kind within the last century.
The global pandemic had nothing to do with her worthless leadership.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:27 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No reasonable person believes such naked animosity stems from a one-term, non-reelection-seeking mayor whose administration coincided with the worst global pandemic of its kind within the last century.

The Pandemic had nothing to do with her absent and awful leadership. It was happening well before that. There is a reason she didn't run again and good leadership wasn't it.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:58 AM

36 posts, read 26,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Residential real estate has always been racially segregated in the US. White flight occurred for two simple reasons. White people have low tolerance for living in proximity to Black people and fear the thought of their children attending schools with more than a small number of Black children. The fundamentally racist real estate system during the White flight era allowed White people to move to places where they knew Black people were prohibited from following them. So they fled to the suburbs.

The fact is that residential real estate remains largely racially segregated in the US to this day largely because of the behavior of White people. And despite the passing of laws prohibiting racially discriminatory real estate practices those practices remain far from rare.

As for a second airport, it’s never going to happen.
Utter nonsense.

I grew up in Stone Mt area in the 70s and early 80s and it was a WONDERFUL place to live. it was a nice mix of ALL RACES in High school (Redan). I had many good black friends.

Its when the idiots in Atlanta decided to M&M bus transfer all the hood up to our schools (because they couldnt fix their local Atlanta inner-city terrible schools) when the sht hit the fan. The hood did not intermix well in our burbs - they made their own gangs in school and sat together for lunch not mixing with "the locals'". Our good teachers left due to hoodrat class disruptions. Every family in our neighborhood was afraid of losing property values so the "white flight" ensued, crime skyrocked, and businesses closed. It really wasnt "white flight" as the woksters call it - it was "middle class flight". I knew many of other races (black, jewish, latino) that left as well....

We relocated to 4 acres north of Alpharetta and it was a 2 horse town in 1984 lol. Pretty good decision just wish we bought more land

I was never racist and my family was never racist. When politicians decide to import the hood (im not talking about black people i am talking HOOD GANGSTERS) into your area its time to GO!

Sadly Lennox and Buckhead are going down that path (as many cities) due to leftist hoodrat leadership failures. Crime is killing kids in those places and the soulless woke leadership is gutless. And now we get to listen to self-righteous woke white haters tell us we are racists when they are the real destroyers and murderers!

Last edited by Floridaman777; 12-13-2021 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 12:16 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The Pandemic had nothing to do with her absent and awful leadership. It was happening well before that. There is a reason she didn't run again and good leadership wasn't it.
That wasn't his point though. The point was that "her absent and awful leadership" did not spur the animosity that the suburbs have for the city.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman777 View Post
Utter nonsense.

I grew up in Stone Mt area in the 70s and early 80s and it was a WONDERFUL place to live. it was a nice mix of ALL RACES in High school (Redan). I had many good black friends.

Its when the idiots in Atlanta decided to M&M bus transfer all the hood up to our schools (because they couldnt fix their local Atlanta inner-city terrible schools) when the sht hit the fan. The hood did not intermix well in our burbs - they made their own gangs in school and sat together for lunch not mixing with "the locals'". Our good teachers left due to hoodrat class disruptions. Every family in our neighborhood was afraid of losing property values so the "white flight" ensued, crime skyrocked, and businesses closed. It really wasnt "white flight" as the woksters call it - it was "middle class flight". I knew many of other races (black, jewish, latino) that left as well....
The bolded makes no sense unless APS was sending students to DeKalb County Schools (different systems).

Old 12-13-2021, 07:56 PM

712 posts, read 701,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You are incorrect on almost every assertion.

Regardless of what happened in the 1950s and 60s, "white flight" is not having any effect on today's market or home values.

The South is much more integrated than other parts of the country. Every suburb and every subdivision in heavily populated Southern states has residents of all ethnicities.

The term "white flight" has been misused and is still assumed to be causing racial division. I don't believe any of it in today's America.

Socioeconomic factors and related aspects likely began a movement to the suburbs as inner cities aged and lost their luster.

Today however, the suburbs are aging and decaying and the inner cities are the sought-after places to be for people that can afford to live there.

I feel that cities in GA and NC are fully integrated across all neighborhoods. The South has done a great job of considering all people equal and only their actions can alter opinions.

Give other people the benefit of the doubt initially rather than use monikers to assign guilt to everything under the sun before seeing concrete proof.
https://tcf.org/content/report/attac...tion/?agreed=1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ion-us-cities/

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...-census-shows/
“ Most white residents of large metropolitan areas live in neighborhoods that remain overwhelmingly white, and while black neighborhoods have become more diverse, this is largely due to an increase in Hispanic rather than white residents.”

As I correctly stated segregation is the norm in US history with White (non-Hispanic) and Black people being the most intensely sub-groups thoughout our history up to today.

White children are more intensely segregated in schools than they are residentially. Since the Democrats decided to abandon school integration as an issue in the 1990s because it alienates White voters, schools have significantly re-segregated. We’re back to roughly the same level of school segregation as the late 1960s. I can bring the receipts on that issue too.

What you “feel” about integration isn’t supported by data or reality. You are correct though that the South is a bit less segregated residentially and educationally than the North. I enjoy making Northerners heads explode with that factoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta