Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:29 PM

712 posts, read 701,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman777 View Post
Utter nonsense.

I grew up in Stone Mt area in the 70s and early 80s and it was a WONDERFUL place to live. it was a nice mix of ALL RACES in High school (Redan). I had many good black friends.

Its when the idiots in Atlanta decided to M&M bus transfer all the hood up to our schools (because they couldnt fix their local Atlanta inner-city terrible schools) when the sht hit the fan. The hood did not intermix well in our burbs - they made their own gangs in school and sat together for lunch not mixing with "the locals'". Our good teachers left due to hoodrat class disruptions. Every family in our neighborhood was afraid of losing property values so the "white flight" ensued, crime skyrocked, and businesses closed. It really wasnt "white flight" as the woksters call it - it was "middle class flight". I knew many of other races (black, jewish, latino) that left as well....

We relocated to 4 acres north of Alpharetta and it was a 2 horse town in 1984 lol. Pretty good decision just wish we bought more land

I was never racist and my family was never racist. When politicians decide to import the hood (im not talking about black people i am talking HOOD GANGSTERS) into your area its time to GO!

Sadly Lennox and Buckhead are going down that path (as many cities) due to leftist hoodrat leadership failures. Crime is killing kids in those places and the soulless woke leadership is gutless. And now we get to listen to self-righteous woke white haters tell us we are racists when they are the real destroyers and murderers!
The bolded part you wrote is an easily disproved lie. Georgia never had any inter-district desegregation program. APS’ transfer program was voluntary and only within the district. Here is a 1973 journal article written by Benjamin Mays on APS’s desegregation efforts. In it he notes that as long as White people could continue to flee to the suburbs there was no way to meaningfully integrate APS schools which were 17% White by 1973. https://escholarship.org/content/qt1...b.pdf?t=nrwne3

Moreover SCOTUS overruled a lower court in 1974 over the issue of court mandated inter-district desegregation in Milliken v Bradley. That decision meant inter-district desegregation can only be voluntary. Consequently inter-district desegregation has been so rare as to be just barely short of nonexistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The bolded makes no sense unless APS was sending students to DeKalb County Schools (different systems).
It doesn’t make sense because it didn’t happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 08:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
The global pandemic had nothing to do with her worthless leadership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The Pandemic had nothing to do with her absent and awful leadership. It was happening well before that. There is a reason she didn't run again and good leadership wasn't it.
Wait....so Bottoms' clashes with Kemp and her more controversial actions directly related to COVID shutdowns and mandates have zero impact on her godawful record as mayor? Am I reading this right?

Old 12-14-2021, 03:03 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
It doesn’t make sense because it didn’t happen.
Oh I know, I was trying to be nice rather than simply telling Floridaman that he was full of it.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:41 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
https://tcf.org/content/report/attac...tion/?agreed=1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ion-us-cities/

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...-census-shows/
“ Most white residents of large metropolitan areas live in neighborhoods that remain overwhelmingly white, and while black neighborhoods have become more diverse, this is largely due to an increase in Hispanic rather than white residents.”

As I correctly stated segregation is the norm in US history with White (non-Hispanic) and Black people being the most intensely sub-groups thoughout our history up to today.

White children are more intensely segregated in schools than they are residentially. Since the Democrats decided to abandon school integration as an issue in the 1990s because it alienates White voters, schools have significantly re-segregated. We’re back to roughly the same level of school segregation as the late 1960s. I can bring the receipts on that issue too.

What you “feel” about integration isn’t supported by data or reality. You are correct though that the South is a bit less segregated residentially and educationally than the North. I enjoy making Northerners heads explode with that factoid.
For my 53 years in America it has been ingrained from the beginning that we are all equal and the socioeconomically disadvantaged were entitled to get a little help to achieve their personal success.

Statistics don’t prove anything. The US is still 60% white today. You can’t use numbers to fairly compare different ethnic groups.

That’s what y’all always get wrong: you assume the white population wakes up each day following a regimen of discrimination. They don’t, nor do they ever think about the past, slavery or any of that crap. I honestly believe only one group perpetuates the fear of racism.

And if whites are scared of diverse beighborhoods, then pity them, they’re weak, easy threatened. Laugh at their insecurity.

In Atlanta I do think the infrastructure on the Southside is neglected. I call them out for it, and citizens of South Atlanta should demand more.

To me, the indifference of local news reporting incidents and never trying to get to the root cause for some real change is true racism no matter which group of people is doing what. It’s demeaning in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:16 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
To me, the indifference of local news reporting incidents and never trying to get to the root cause for some real change is true racism no matter which group of people is doing what. It’s demeaning in my opinion.
Media operate under the credo of "If it bleeds, it leads," and that's pretty much it.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
That’s what y’all always get wrong: you assume the white population wakes up each day following a regimen of discrimination. They don’t, nor do they ever think about the past, slavery or any of that crap.
Too many of them were while Obama was president, that's for sure. "What if he does to White people what was done to Black people in the past?" was an all-too common refrain during those years.

Quote:
I honestly believe only one group perpetuates the fear of racism.
Which group would that be?

Quote:
Occasionally local news networks will do an expose or special series about certain subjects, but for the most part, their job is to cover what's happening and while other institutions (colleges and universities, etc.) are better equipped to discuss the reasons behind what's happening.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
History actually paints a very different picture. The reason places like Alpharetta exists is because people fled a crumbling city of Atlanta that was beginning to exhibit poor infrastructure, poor services, poor schools, high property taxes, high crime, and business leaving and was being mismanaged by ineffective leadership. When Dr King was assassinated in 1968 the city of Atlanta was already starting to see a mass exodus because of the things I just listed. Atlantan's were able to move out to places like Alpharetta that had far bigger homes and yards with lower property taxes, great schools, great services and infrastructure and low crime. Lets also not forget GA 400 which cut through many majority white neighborhoods making people lose their homes and having to move elsewhere. Alpharetta is a technological hub and will continue to be. Other than the airport (which as the Atlanta metro continues to grow there will be one built on the northside eventually population will force this to happen) there will be no reason for anyone living in Alpharetta to go south of there. They seem to be doing a fine job on their own with development. You really can't give any credit to Ivan Allen for something like the Avalon development. That's very dishonest. You have to give credit to the local leadership. Ivan Allen and mayors after him didn't build Alpharetta. City of Atlanta ineptitude is actually what forced people and businesses to make choices to go out there in the first place. Alpharetta and Forsyth County are also very diverse maybe even more so than the city of Atlanta.
Well, for one thing most of Atlanta's suburban towns have property taxes waaay too low.

I've been told something like $500-1,000 a year for typical $150,000 single family home in Kennesaw and Jonesboro.

What can a municipality do with so little money? I'm from a small rural town in NC and the yearly property tax on the 1,900 sf home I grew up in is $2,500-3,000 a year.

Secondly, you can talk all you want about not needing Atlanta or Alpharetta's success, but every asset's value for everyone in the metro comes from the international status of the region as a whole.

Without Atlanta's reputation, Alpharetta would be a small town period, with assets valued accordingly.

I do agree with the ongoing corruption and mismanagement of Atlanta and Dekalb counties though.

The property taxes collected by the City of Atlanta must be off the charts. You can calculate 1/2 of one block in midtown at 5th street and Juniper, and the taxes just from that J5 complex if every unit was sold would be over half a million bucks. With over 40 new highrises the money coming in must be staggering and i wonder if they are required to disclose the yearly total. The streets could be paved with gold I bet.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Too many of them were while Obama was president, that's for sure. "What if he does to White people what was done to Black people in the past?" was an all-too common refrain during those years.

Which group would that be?

Occasionally local news networks will do an expose or special series about certain subjects, but for the most part, their job is to cover what's happening and while other institutions (colleges and universities, etc.) are better equipped to discuss the reasons behind what's happening.
I've never heard that refrain ever and unfortunately I had nothing better to do than watch politics on tv during Obama's reign.

It's not fair to blend politics into this discussion.

Some people didn't like a 1/2 black man as president, but they in no way change my assertion that white people actively think about discriminating against minorities.

It's gotten so out of hand. Equality is no longer the goal. It'a become a hunt deeper into the past for a reason to complain today and hopefully get something from it.

I don't want it to be thst way, but now MSN is blaming middle/high school students for perpetuating discrimination. I was beat up and bullied during those years. Most of that age group's actions and bullying are part of growing up like young deer/antelope whatever fighting each other.

We can't have the morale of a whole country/world be dictated by the minds that haven't developed fully yet.

But we're starting to run out of things to associate the argument with. But the media keeps it alive to get revenue clicks and anger/divide us for another day.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:07 AM

1,150 posts, read 614,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Media operate under the credo of "If it bleeds, it leads," and that's pretty much it.
Yep. Positive stories don't garner the attention that fear does. It's all about clicks and advertisement dollars.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I've never heard that refrain ever and unfortunately I had nothing better to do than watch politics on tv during Obama's reign.
https://www.dailynews.com/2008/10/29...n-some-voters/

But overall, those eight years had a lot of folks thinking consciously of race and history.

Quote:
Some people didn't like a 1/2 black man as president, but they in no way change my assertion that white people actively think about discriminating against minorities.
I'm sure that was the case in 1960 and even 1860 as well. Most people are only "actively" thinking about day-to-day stuff and the people they interact with on a regular basis, so that's not really saying anything in and of itself.

Quote:
It's gotten so out of hand. Equality is no longer the goal. It'a become a hunt deeper into the past for a reason to complain today and hopefully get something from it.
I'm pretty sure this has something to do with it.

Quote:
But we're starting to run out of things to associate the argument with. But the media keeps it alive to get revenue clicks and anger/divide us for another day.
Can't disagree there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta