Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 12:20 PM

68 posts, read 74,601 times

Advertisements

I'm a single Black male in my early 30's looking to purchase my first home this year, or early 2022. I currently live in Lithonia, and work in the Clarkston area. My job could possibly be moving to Atlanta sometime this year.

I have a budget of $215k. I'm open to a single family home, or townhouse. I hoping to live in a reasonable drive to the city for shopping/dining/events for some weekends. I don't have children, so school districts aren't a concern for me. Safety, however is a huge concern for me. I prefer not to live in a crime ridden neighborhood. Diversity is a huge plus for me as well.

I know the housing market is crazy right now, so I'm willing to take my time to find my ideal home. Any suggestions where I should look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 03:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post
I'm a single Black male in my early 30's looking to purchase my first home this year, or early 2022. I currently live in Lithonia, and work in the Clarkston area. My job could possibly be moving to Atlanta sometime this year.

I have a budget of $215k. I'm open to a single family home, or townhouse. I hoping to live in a reasonable drive to the city for shopping/dining/events for some weekends. I don't have children, so school districts aren't a concern for me. Safety, however is a huge concern for me. I prefer not to live in a crime ridden neighborhood. Diversity is a huge plus for me as well.

I know the housing market is crazy right now, so I'm willing to take my time to find my ideal home. Any suggestions where I should look?
Would you be willing to landlord?

There are a lot of economic benefits to buying a 2 to 4 family building, staying 5 years & moving to a single family home or another multi-family.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:10 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:

If you want to live in an area with very little or no crime with a housing budget of $215k, you likely may not be within the most reasonable drive of the city in a very highly competitive housing market like this.

If you want to live in an area of virtually no crime on a budget of $215k, far-flung outer-suburban areas like some parts of Conyers/Rockdale County, Covington/Newton County, Locust Grove in south Henry County, Douglasville/Douglas County. Newnan (in Coweta County) and Hampton (in west Henry County) may also be options.

Closer-in, the quality of the housing stock available within that price range decreases (often significantly) and/or the threat of crime increases (often noticeably).

North of I-20, there appears to be virtually nothing available within that price range available for dozens of miles until one gets about at least 40-50 miles away from Downtown Atlanta.

You might could see if you might could be able to increase your living options if you add apartments and condominiums to your housing search, but the housing market seemingly is insanely competitive right now, especially in many areas north of I-20, even with the increased threat of crime in many of the more popular areas.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 06-27-2021 at 10:24 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 11:46 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
If you look at townhomes/condos make sure to include HOA fees in your calculations. Some of these complexes have artificially low purchase prices because the HOA fees are so high that it keeps the home prices down.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:00 AM

72 posts, read 44,976 times
There are some older condos in Marietta in that price range, possibly townhouses as well. The HOA fees do have to be factored in.

Be especially careful about buying a condo or townhouse during an up market like we have now. From what I understand, their pricing is more volatile. The rising tide lifts their prices, so they aren't all that cheap right now. But in a down market, they fall more dramatically than houses, and they can become hard to sell. If you look at the pricing history of some properties on Zillow you'll see what I mean.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,646 times
Quote:

Hey dark_knight08, my question is kind of the reverse of your, I am about to be 30, have no kids, am a single Black male for whom safety is one of the biggest concerns. I am looking to relocate to Atlanta, GA for work soon and have been seeing a lot of great deals for my budget in Lithonia, and the prices are much lower than other places I look at for the same house. Am I missing something (aside for schools which I don't care about)? Since I am new to the area and you're living there now, should I be worried about Lithonia being a very high crime rate area or are there just some neighborhoods that I should stay away from? Thank you very much for your help!

Old 08-13-2021, 12:03 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Even pre-pandemic $215k would be a hard stretch to live in a desirable, commutable, safe part of the city. Right now it probably is unthinkable. The only chance you may have would be to pick up a home that needs alot of work and slowly rebuild it.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:02 PM

254 posts, read 131,309 times
Check areas around Clarkston and south Tucker. Unincorporated Stone Mountain is also a great buy right now. You can't beat the quality of the brick homes there, with a lot of options close to the Stone Mountain Trail network. Quiet, relatively safe to have that kind of access to Emory and CDC, Druid Hills and Decatur. The takeout options are a nice plus.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:21 PM

1,212 posts, read 732,456 times
East Point has a train station.

But the big 1960's subdivisions are two to three miles from Main Street. That's Arrowood, Forest Hills, Headland Heights, Meadowlark, Piney Woods, and others. There's no overhead air traffic in these areas except when there are storms.

Last edited by T Block; 08-15-2021 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 01:32 PM

68 posts, read 74,601 times
check your PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta