Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

It seems live daily on the TV news there is another apartment fire being reported. Shots of people standing outside crying and hugging loved ones while the fire dept spokesperson describes the "fast moving blaze" almost seem routine.

It doesn't seem to be stricly related to multi-unit buildings, since fewer condos seem to suffer the same problem. What is the reason for what seems to me to be a very large number of these apt fires?
  • Is it poor construction and lack of adherence to bldg codes?
  • Is it residents doing stupid things like smoking in bed?
  • Is it poor maintenance and a resulting problem with appliances or other systems?
  • Is it arson?

Last edited by neil0311; 05-06-2008 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times
Default apt fires

Don't know about Atl/GA code but all new construction in NC must have sprinklers... I think since the mid-90's. Most apts are cheaply built and older units may not have the proper firewalls. I know the complex I used to live in here in Charlotte had firewalls in the middle of the building and it saved 1/2 of a building. Fire was caused by an idiot who threw a lit cigarette into the bushes and went back into the building. 4 dogs, 6 cats died and several of his neighbors were slightly injured. of course he got out fine....left behind several pets. I think people are more careless when it's not a place you own. don't always think when they act. Leave candles lit and run errands, leave a pan on the burner without checking if its still on, and the stupidest thing, using a grill on a patio. catching the siding on fire and the building is gone. they don't want to be inconvenienced by having to grill away from the building so they don't and many people lose their homes and get injured. I know it's in our lease not to have grills and if you have one it must be used on the concrete pad away from each building, but I don't trust my neighbors.

fire moves fast, faster than you think.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I moved to Atlanta in 1984 and apartment fires on the news were VERY rare. But the difference is that a lot of apartment buildings back then were brick or simply more solidly constructed, and you could actually SEE the concrete firewalls sticking out of the rooflines. In the cases of some townhome apartments, you saw firewalls literally in-between each unit. If there was a fire, it was almost always contained to one or two units - entire buildings going up in flames simply never happened.

Construction quality for apartments in Atlanta today has a lot to be desired. Even higher-end stuff like many Post units are just cheap plywood slapped together with little insulation. In many cases now there will be multiple units in-between each firewall, and I've been told by several contractors that some don't even put concrete firewalls in anymore - they use "fire resistant sheetrock" (which I think is just very thin "wonderboard") instead.

I'm not sure what the rules are for sprinklers, but of course highrise buildings are required to have them - not sure about midrise apartments (3-4 stories), though - I haven't seen many if any with them at all.

One risk factor is cultural. There are now a LOT of immigrants (mostly Mexican, but others, too) in many complexes. Now, personally, I've never had the desire to eat an enchilada at 2am in the morning. But many times these fires are due to people cooking at really odd hours who fall asleep while stuff is on the stove at these times.

Either way, if you DO rent out a place these days, always always spend the $20-something dollars to have renter's insurance. If you have pets, crate train them and keep the crate near the front door and let the leasing agents know they're there so firemen can rescue the pet in a fire. Buy an external USB hard drive and regularly back up your computer's data/photos/etc as well - carry that drive in your car or your purse/knapsack or keep it off-site in a safe place, so in a fire at least your computer stuff will be backed up and safe, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta