Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2020, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,237 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am hoping some people on here can help me out. I am relocating to Atlanta from NJ by the end of the year for my job and need to find a place. I don't know the area at all, and need suggestions on where to live. I am making $50,000 right now so would like to keep my rent budget $1,200 per month or less (honestly prefer less). My job is in Buckhead over near Phipps Plaza (I think considered North Buckhead, basically near Brookhaven).

The suggestions I have received include Brookhaven, Chamblee, Sandy Springs, The Battery, Vinings, Galleria, Marietta, Smyrna, Midtown, and places along the Beltline. My budget is tight and looking ideally for a 1 bed 1 bath and given the timeline and that I don't know anybody down there, I won't have any roommates for at least the first year.

I am a 26 (going on 27) year old single female and want to look in areas that are safe but also will not take me 3 hours to get to and from the office. What are cheaper and safe areas of Atlanta that aren't too far from my job but also include lots of people my age (need to make friends! basically where are the young professionals?) and walkable areas would be a nice addition (i.e. bars, restaurants, shops, etc.). I am a diehard baseball & football fan if that helps.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to meet friends in Atlanta please let me know! I imagine it will be a lot harder to meet people during this pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 06:59 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,957 times
1 bedroom apartment in Sandy Springs near Glenridge should be good for you; you'll be around many major box retail shops, near a MARTA line that can take you into the area so as to avoid god awful traffic, but also nearby restaurants and options within the city and other areas to get around. I found it safe for myself, but I was a couple years older than you and lived single for a bit, too, there. Something like the 1b/1ba for $1245 here: https://www.liveatperimetercircle.com/floorplans. Anyway, check out that zip code or even roommate situations in the area. I highly suggest it.

It is not, however, walkable, and if walkable's really your thing, a 26+F roomie near Piedmont Park may be the business, or near Virginia Highlands. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2020, 07:04 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
It is not, however, walkable, and if walkable's really your thing, a 26+F roomie near Piedmont Park may be the business, or near Virginia Highlands. Good luck!
I thought about this as well, because if she's open to having a roommate eventually it might be more enjoyable to live in a better walkable area now. Does anyone have suggestions for OP to potentially meet a roommate before she moves here? Are there roommate match sites she should check out?

Old 11-06-2020, 08:57 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
I don't know much about the rental market, but you have basically been steered in the right direction in terms of proximity, safety, youthfulness.

Sandy Springs (near city center)*
Chamblee
Doralville
Brookhaven
Smyrna
The battery/Cumberland*
Midtown*
Eastside Beltline*
West Midtown*

I put an asterisk by the ones I would most recommend. Being a baseball fan, you will really enjoy the Battery

Old 11-06-2020, 11:07 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
I'm in a very similar position. Just 2 years older, salary is marginally higher, rent is currently 1175. But my job was in Alpharetta so I went with Alpharetta to live. I like it a lot but during normal commutes it can be soul crushing driving down 400 to Buckhead.

Sandy Springs down around the city center and 285 would be good if you can find something in budget. You'll probably find cheaper around Northridge Road which is Sandy Springs also. Don't do it. That area is not the best right now.

Vinings/cumberland could be good too but you can run into plenty of traffic on 285 headed to and from work.

The budget could be a struggle you may just have to get lucky. Even way out towards Suwanee almost 30 miles from downtown there are 1 bedrooms starting at 1400 which is insane. I'm really hoping my apartment doesn't raise my rent much (renews in Feb) or I may have to leave Alpharetta. It's definitely not NJ level but it's high for Atlanta salaries.

Any chance of the company covering relocation costs? I've moved from GA to TX, within TX, and then from TX to GA all within 3 years so I know how expensive moving can be. Really I think you can be comfortable with your finances renting at 1300/month but that's if the initial moving cost isn't too high. Also if you bring a car there's a one time tax which will not be cheap (you'll also have that tax if you buy a car here).
BUT, taxes aren't bad. My power bill has been in the 50-60 range pretty much every month. Even in the summer with a west facing apartment. Gas is pretty cheap. The large car tax is a one time thing. Then it's just annual tag renewals which is pretty cheap. Gas is I assume cheaper than NJ. That's why I think you should be able to swing a little more than 1200/month *if needed*.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I'm in a very similar position. Just 2 years older, salary is marginally higher, rent is currently 1175. But my job was in Alpharetta so I went with Alpharetta to live. I like it a lot but during normal commutes it can be soul crushing driving down 400 to Buckhead.

Sandy Springs down around the city center and 285 would be good if you can find something in budget. You'll probably find cheaper around Northridge Road which is Sandy Springs also. Don't do it. That area is not the best right now.

Vinings/cumberland could be good too but you can run into plenty of traffic on 285 headed to and from work.

The budget could be a struggle you may just have to get lucky. Even way out towards Suwanee almost 30 miles from downtown there are 1 bedrooms starting at 1400 which is insane. I'm really hoping my apartment doesn't raise my rent much (renews in Feb) or I may have to leave Alpharetta. It's definitely not NJ level but it's high for Atlanta salaries.

Any chance of the company covering relocation costs? I've moved from GA to TX, within TX, and then from TX to GA all within 3 years so I know how expensive moving can be. Really I think you can be comfortable with your finances renting at 1300/month but that's if the initial moving cost isn't too high. Also if you bring a car there's a one time tax which will not be cheap (you'll also have that tax if you buy a car here).
BUT, taxes aren't bad. My power bill has been in the 50-60 range pretty much every month. Even in the summer with a west facing apartment. Gas is pretty cheap. The large car tax is a one time thing. Then it's just annual tag renewals which is pretty cheap. Gas is I assume cheaper than NJ. That's why I think you should be able to swing a little more than 1200/month *if needed*.
They are paying me $5,000 relocation assistance. I know I can swing 1,300-1,400 a month but also want to be able to save lol but it is what it is I suppose.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:23 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez12 View Post
Hi everyone, I am hoping some people on here can help me out. I am relocating to Atlanta from NJ by the end of the year for my job and need to find a place. I don't know the area at all, and need suggestions on where to live. I am making $50,000 right now so would like to keep my rent budget $1,200 per month or less (honestly prefer less). My job is in Buckhead over near Phipps Plaza (I think considered North Buckhead, basically near Brookhaven).

The suggestions I have received include Brookhaven, Chamblee, Sandy Springs, The Battery, Vinings, Galleria, Marietta, Smyrna, Midtown, and places along the Beltline. My budget is tight and looking ideally for a 1 bed 1 bath and given the timeline and that I don't know anybody down there, I won't have any roommates for at least the first year.

I am a 26 (going on 27) year old single female and want to look in areas that are safe but also will not take me 3 hours to get to and from the office. What are cheaper and safe areas of Atlanta that aren't too far from my job but also include lots of people my age (need to make friends! basically where are the young professionals?) and walkable areas would be a nice addition (i.e. bars, restaurants, shops, etc.). I am a diehard baseball & football fan if that helps.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
If your top priority is living in close proximity to your job, start your search for a rental dwelling in Buckhead and nearby areas like Lindbergh (which an area of shops, retail and a few bars built up around the Lindbergh MARTA heavy rail transit station), neighboring Brookhaven and Sandy Springs.

If living in close proximity to your co-favorite sport of baseball is your top priority, Citykid3785’s suggestion of The Battery (which, of course, adjoins the home of the Atlanta Braves baseball team, Truist Field) would be an excellent place to look if you can find anything within your budget.

If finding a dwelling within comfortably within your budget is your top priority, relatively close by areas like Chamblee and maybe even Doraville might be better choices for you to look at.

Quote:
Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to meet friends in Atlanta please let me know! I imagine it will be a lot harder to meet people during this pandemic.
Try looking in the Atlanta section of the Meetup.com social networking website to see what local social networking groups might still be active in a safe way during this ongoing pandemic.

Also check in with the local Atlanta chapter of your college alma mater’s alumni association (which often a feature subgroups for younger alumni) and/or the local fan club chapter of your favorite college and/or even pro sports team to see what social events you might be able to find that might be active in a safe way during the pandemic.

Though a word of warning that many social groups and clubs either may not be active in person or may not be active at all while the pandemic rages.

You potentially may have to settle for being socially active (to the extent that may be possible during a time like this) in a virtual way by way of online and social media forums as many people (who might otherwise be more sociable) continue to quarantine, social/physical distance and limit their close interaction with others during the outbreak.

Making new friends, while often challenging during normal times, particularly in a highly transient city/metro like Atlanta, will not be easy during this time of widespread quarantine, social distancing and mask-wearing as life during a severe pandemic is not fun.

But maybe you potentially may be able to find some social groups that may still be active in a safe way, by way of a popular social networking group like Meetup.com, the local Atlanta chapter of your alma mater’s alumni association, and/or the local Atlanta chapter of the fan club of your favorite college and/or pro sports team.

Outdoor recreational groups (hiking clubs, exercise groups, biking clubs, etc.) may be more likely to still be active during the pandemic and potentially might could provide you your best shot (to the extent that might be possible) of meeting new people and making new friends during a time like this.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
They are paying me $5,000 relocation assistance. I know I can swing 1,300-1,400 a month but also want to be able to save lol but it is what it is I suppose.
Oh that's really good. I got 1/10th of that when I moved to Houston and nothing for my other 2 moves.
And yea I get not wanting to go too high. I really didn't want to spend over 1,100 a month but quickly realized it was that or settle for a crappy apartment or live even farther from Atlanta.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:07 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Quote:
I am a diehard baseball & football fan if that helps.
Atlanta is a college football hotbed and (as the semi-permanent site of the annual Southeastern Conference/SEC Football Championship Game, or just simply the SEC Championship Game, which many regard as the Super Bowl of Southern college football) is effectively the emotional, psychological and spiritual center of the college football world.

(Atlanta is also home to the College Football Hall of Fame, a point of interest which has become a major attraction in a college football crazy Atlanta city/metro, state of Georgia, and Southern U.S.)

College football is the centerpiece of much of Southern social life and culture during normal times.

Much of Southern life (including in metro Atlanta and Georgia) fanatically revolves around college football Saturdays.

Many major college football fan bases (particularly in the Southeastern/SEC and Atlantic Coast/ACC conferences, but also in the Big Ten, Big 12, AAC, PAC-12 conferences, etc.) are well-represented in the Atlanta metropolitan area by way of robust alumni group chapters and fan clubs.

So if you love college football, you are likely to feel very much at home in a college football-crazed area like Atlanta, if/whenever life returns to normal.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:00 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
You've gotten good advice here.

The area around Glenridge is going to be perfect for you, it's full of people in your exact situation, and the commute shouldn't be too bad.

However, you don't necessarily have to give up on Buckhead/Brookhaven.

I'd look in Lenox Park and see if any of the 4 complexes there are running any specials and can get you in at that price. You can also look on Peachtree in Brookhaven. There are a few older, but still more than decent, garden style apartments there that rent for less than the modern "shoebox in the sky" high rise types that are also in the area.

I haven't lived there in more than 10 years, but when I lived in Lenox Park, there were always TONS of people running, walking dogs, and otherwise socializing in the adjacent park during after work hours. The pool was also a hub of social activity. You're not walkable to much except Lenox and Phipps, but an easy Uber pretty much anywhere you could ever want to go. I liked it because I felt it provided quick and easy access to the city, but without feeling trapped because it also provided quick and easy access to suburban amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta