Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 AM

39 posts, read 245,865 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give insight on how to handle a waitlist scenario?

We are currently at a private school that is preschool - 12th grade. We are NOT happy with it - well, preschool has been fine, but I toured the Kindergarten and was very sad and immediately started looking.

We applied to 2 schools. We are waitlisted at our first choice and have been accepted at our 2nd choice. I know we are LUCKY to be in at a school and I feel blessed. I also know odds of getting in off the waitlist at our #1 choice can be good.

Does anyone know when they start calling people on the waitlist to offer acceptance? Do they wait until after the April 16th deadline or as soon as they hear "John Doe" isn't coming, then do they call a child on the waitlist?

This has been a grueling process and I pray we never ever have to go through this again.

Seems most of my friends are in a similar boat- accepted to one but not their first choice and waitlisted at others.

Any advice is so appreciated!
Thanks.
FunnyMom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 47,366 times
Default re:

It really depends on the schools. Some have higher rates of turn downs than others.

What schools are you in and on the list for?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Default well...

I don't really want to post where we are in and where we are waited... I can tell you- we are not waitlisted at Westminster or Lovett... so it isn't one of those typical BIG schools who gets almost all of their #1 choices.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,527 times
Most do wait until the 16th as they're still getting the word from existing students about moves, school changes, etc. The one piece of advice I've heard over and over again is to send a nice note letting them know how interested you are and how dedicated you are to their school should a slot open up. That's pretty much all you can do! good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
I honestly have no idea if it would make a difference since I don't know what schools you're looking at, but have you considered e-mailing (I probably wouldn't call) the Admissions Director at your #1 choice to let them know you are still "highly interested." This would give them the idea that you would come if invited. It's worth a try before sending all the $$$ for your #2 choice!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 47,366 times
Yes, I would either email or call in your case, as you want to get an idea of how big the waiting list is and what your chances are. Let them know they are your first choice, and that you would like to turn down your offer from the other school if they think you will end up getting in. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:19 PM

352 posts, read 1,424,985 times
We are in the same boat aswell and totally fed up with the whole process. To be honest I feel like we are being held to ransom by the private schools here in Atlanta and long term will probably be looking to move elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:28 PM

ha! Funny. I know- this is not a fun process. Everything from the JATP to the tours and testing, etc... It's enough to go crazy! I do feel so differently now when I hear things- now that I have gone through this 1st hand.

I laugh thinking about how I used to hear (before I had children) that you had to be on waiting lists from birth to get kids into a school- all such a crock.

I've seen a lot of people with "connections" still get turned down. I know more people who are disappointed than happy.

Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 16,904 times
funny mom

You said you are in a k-12 school now, but you were less than thrilled with the kindergarten program. I have heard that if you don't get into (or get waitlisted and don't get in) a private school, that sometimes if you apply the next year, it is like bonus points (hey, you must really like me), so if you really want your first choice can you stay where you are and reapply next year.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM

168 posts, read 560,900 times
Someone on another thread suggested that you email the school and let them know that you're happy that you're still being considered, and that their school is your first choice, and that you will accept if offered admission.

That having been said, read through all materials and make sure you follow their rules about contacting the school while on the waiting list. Don't violate those rules no matter how desperate.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, remember that your child will be fine regardless of which school because you're so committed to his/her education. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: