Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 PM

37,963 posts, read 42,361,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I mean... have you ever been to Buckhead? It's not what I'd exactly call urban. And Midtown sort of is. Though it has fairly suburban bones.

I'm just noting, Atlanta city limits are fairly arbitrary.

Anyway, proceed with another jsvh stuck-record-opinion-promoting, everyone-else-bashing thread, that we totally needed yet another of here.
But very well-defined. I'm pretty sure the suburban office districts being referred to in this report are those located outside the city like Permlimeter, Cumberland, Alpharetta, etc. Is it really necessary to be this obtuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 02:31 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But anyways Perimeter is the largest office market in metro Atlanta,
Is it? According to the Q3 Colliers Office Report, Perimeter has a total of 29.7M sf of office space, while NW Atlanta has 36.5M sf. In the last quarter, NW gained, while perimeter lost, although year-to-date, Perimeter gained and NW lost. NW Atlanta also has for more office space than Downtown, Midtown, or Buckhead. Maybe there's another metric being used.

I think the reality is that most of the suburban markets have been pretty much built out, while downtown is filled with vast parking lots and useless small buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The reason Atlanta has some of the worst transit mobility in the country (ranked 91 out of top 100) is because of the downtown centered transit system that doesn't reflect jobs and people.
Truer words have never been spoken. Look at the MARTA map, and look at NW Atlanta ITP. There's no way to go east without coming all the way into Midtown, then going back up. The entire system is designed around getting people to and from Downtown/Midtown, even though we have huge employment centers in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta is not Dallas or Houston so comparing the city limits are pointless. Atlanta is very much a polynodal employment metro, ARC planned it this way, but those major employment center should be connected to each other via high capacity transit lines.
Yep.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The center of population in the Atlanta metro area is north of midtown. Its between Buckhead and 285.
The center of jobs is also to the north. Perimeter Center is the largest office market in the area.
Population and job growth is overwhelmingly concentrated from downtown north. So downtown is kind of the southern fringe, not the center.

The reason Atlanta has some of the worst transit mobility in the country (ranked 91 out of top 100) is because of the downtown centered transit system that doesn't reflect jobs and people.

Downtown and midtown have potential to grow, but I expect more residential than office. Buckhead, Alpharetta, Cobb and Perimeter also have potential.
Blame the folks in Cobb and Gwinnett for that.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,158,923 times
Quote:
Atlanta is not Dallas or Houston so comparing the city limits are pointless. Atlanta is very much a polynodal employment metro, ARC planned it this way, but those major employment center should be connected to each other via high capacity transit lines.
You completely missed the point of the commparison, you could put any of the major of Sunbelt cities, the point Atlanta seem multiple pollar when it's not, Atlanta just never annex the distance to centralized the majority of its major employers areas. My point was the city vs suburbs thing is arbitrary it just political lines. I agree with transit and etc but that has nothing to do with my point.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,158,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Is it? According to the Q3 Colliers Office Report, Perimeter has a total of 29.7M sf of office space, while NW Atlanta has 36.5M sf. In the last quarter, NW gained, while perimeter lost, although year-to-date, Perimeter gained and NW lost. NW Atlanta also has for more office space than Downtown, Midtown, or Buckhead. Maybe there's another metric being used.

I think the reality is that most of the suburban markets have been pretty much built out, while downtown is filled with vast parking lots and useless small buildin
I was talking about CBD, The PC is largest CBD in terms of office space. NW Atlanta is not a CBD is just office across thousands of milies in the suburbs.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Failing to see how the Midtown commercial core is sorta-suburban (and let's not use Midtown Manhattan or Chicago Loop as examples.) Midtown has walkable blocks, with a few remaining super blocks, but the area is filling in creating more street-level engagement and activity that lasts past 5pm.
How do you figure? NW Atlanta market appears to be just as close and actually smaller in area than Perimeter. What am I missing?

Edit: never mind...Colliers defines it differently from the other map in this thread. Even so, the vast majority of the office space is in the Cumberland/Vinings area.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,197,187 times
This is actually the map I am familiar with. The "urban" districts are doing quite well.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,197,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
From 2015 to 2017 there were 12,000 jobs announced for Midtown. And this is just the 1 square mile Midtown Core and not including the booming neighborhoods such as Old Fourth Ward, and West Midtown that have several offices buildings under construction.

More than 12,000 jobs headed to Midtown

More recently we have seen downtown leading the entire metro in office space absorption.
I did a search of the Business Chronicle website for job announcements for 2018. Here is what I found for Midtown and other neighborhoods.

Norfolk Southern to add 850 jobs and a corporate HQ
Honeywell expanding by 300 jobs
Starbucks bringing 500 jobs
Pandora 250 jobs
Event Software 100 jobs
Gather Technologies 100 jobs
Eaton Corp. 100 jobs
Instacart 400 jobs to Ponce City Market
Square 100 jobs to Atlantic Station
CallRail 300 jobs downtown
RedTail 300 jobs West Midtown

Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Blame the folks in Cobb and Gwinnett for that.
There's a whole lot more area than that. You can't blame just Cobb and Gwinnett. Pretty much every line in town also focuses towards the core. There is almost nothin that simply crosses areas.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
There's a whole lot more area than that. You can't blame just Cobb and Gwinnett. Pretty much every line in town also focuses towards the core. There is almost nothin that simply crosses areas.
But Cobb and Gwinnett are core counties and backed out of the initial plan to be included in the MARTA service area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta