Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM

39 posts, read 246,132 times

Advertisements

Westminster is a phenomenal school. I know several families there- none of whom bleed wealth. They do well, but are not "loaded" by Atlanta means, etc... They truly have VERY smart children.

On the flip side, I know "old Atlanta" money people who have sent several generations to Westmin and they did not get in.

I think Westmin likes new blood and I do feel they are a VERY academic place. I too was worried it was much about the money (despite knowing our friends there) and then when I toured there and saw the teachers/children- I didn't get that feeling at all. We chose to not apply there- just not for us.

I think it is a wonderful education, but the fact that the Christian ways have subsided was disappointing for us.

Good luck in your decision! Congrats on having so many wonderful choices. I have a friend dying to get into Galloway's K- they are waitlisted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,896,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Doubt it. The top tier state schools like UNC, UF, UTexas, GTech and more recently UGA, are highly regarded not only as an undergrad leading into potential Ivy/Southern Ivy league grad schools, but even during the hiring process coming straight out with a B.A./B.S.
I agree. My father was a physical science prof at a well-regarded, but not elite, Canadian university. Graduates of his department regularly won places at US Ivy league grad schools, and Harvard et al. would in fact send correspondence saying things along the lines of "your graduates are always so well prepared for our program; keep 'em coming".

Although a portion of the public at large is over-awed by the Ivy league brand, the schools themselves are not so short-sighted. They want able and well-prepared students for their grad schools, not necessarily just people who attended an Ivy league school for undergrad.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 AM

387 posts, read 1,594,721 times
Though, it doesn't mean just ANY large state school... that's why I emphasized "top tier".

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,896,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Though, it doesn't mean just ANY large state school... that's why I emphasized "top tier".
Yes, I completely agree.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM

352 posts, read 1,426,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786AA View Post
Great discussion, but I think we might be getting off track on my original question of which school to pick: AIS or Westminster.

UPDATE: I spoke with a parent who has kids in AIS middle school who started in elementary school. They are very happy with the education overall. Weaknesses they quoted are that b/c it is a young school, their processes are not always well defined. They are also working to improve the math and science program. The parents are very involved with the school and the international aspect is very appealing (not surprising).

The parent also knows many families who go to Westminster and said that besides AIS, Westminster was the only other school they would consider FWIW. Went on to confirm that Westminster is no longer all about money although they have some extremely wealthy families there (just like they do at Lovett, Pace, AIS, etc).

Next step for me is that I will be speaking hopefully soon with a ex-Westminster teacher to get their thoughts and will post the findings when I do.
We chose AIS because its the only school with any real value (to expats)outside of Atlanta and GA. When we move elsewhere it will be easy to move our children to another good international school which may not be the case with a regular school. Westminster etc probably are best choices if you think you will remain in Atlanta long term.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 47,377 times
The irony is that from what I hear, Westminster doesn't have to be concerned about admitting "old" or "new" money families BECAUSE they have such a large endowment! So essentially those who gave them all of that money have to stand in line with everyone else.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
We chose AIS because its the only school with any real value (to expats)outside of Atlanta and GA. When we move elsewhere it will be easy to move our children to another good international school which may not be the case with a regular school. Westminster etc probably are best choices if you think you will remain in Atlanta long term.
Yes, if you are in IB program that the school offers, otherwise it really doesn't matter because any tests taken in IB program are transferable I guess. Unfortunately Westminister doesn't offer IB program which is recognized world widely.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM

200 posts, read 984,057 times
Default Choosing Between Westminister, AIS, and Galloway

Our two kids attend Atlanta International School and they are very happy there. AIS makes made great sense for our son and daughter as they previously attended other international schools when we lived overseas.

I strongly recommend AIS as they offer offer an excellent and challenging program, and can provide sports, clubs, community service and your children will learn to speak several languages (our daughter is learning Mandarin Chinese and Spanish while our son is studying French).

Also, if you want the International Baccalaureate (IB) program for your children (which we do), then AIS is the place.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM

55 posts, read 234,009 times
I went to the Atlanta International School. I can't necessarily say from an American standpoint, but coming to the US from Germany not knowing any english it was a good school to attend. I was able to take classes for native germans so that my german wouldn't deteriorate and in the meanwhile was placed in the "English For Non-Native Speakers" program for 2 years until I was caught up to join the regular English classes. As I was preparing for University knowing I would go back to Europe the IB program enabled me to combine my classes in a way that would allow me to apply for Universities as required in Europe. Aside from typical school angst and peer rivalry/cliques I would say AIS was a pretty good school to attend.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 PM

16 posts, read 84,913 times
Ok I have some info to share. I spoke to two sets of parents with kids at AIS.

Pros:
* mandatory languages
* strong community
* preapres kids very well for being "world citizen"
* Very diverse in terms of countries represented - kids form friendships that are global

Cons:
* Smaller than Westminster so does not have resources comparable to Westminster
- land is expensive in downtown Buckhead so makes it harder to expand as fast
- however, they have ample land and are building a new primary school
* newer school so need to spend more time developing relationships with universities, although kids get in to their top choice and these includes the usual Ivy League suspects

I have some calls coming up with Westminster parents and will post my findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: