Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2018, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Atlanta and I travel a lot for business so I want no longer than a 30-45 minute commute to the airport. I would like to stay north of the airport, preferably west of Atlanta. I am a 40 yr old single, African-American woman with no children so good schools are not a concern for me. I am looking for somewhere safe, close to shopping areas that is diverse. I am looking to rent first before purchasing and would like to spend $1500-$2000 per month. And I would like an easy commute to Downtown or Mid-Town Atlanta for nightlife. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 08:21 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times
Just rent an apartment in Midtown! You should have lots of options in that budget range.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...00-under-2000/

Then you can walk to some nightlife and restaurants (Midtown is way better than our Downtown), and walk to the MARTA train which takes you down to the airport in 30 mins or less I believe. No traffic to worry about, it would be a great life and commute.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:19 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,518,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeka30 View Post
I am relocating to Atlanta and I travel a lot for business so I want no longer than a 30-45 minute commute to the airport. I would like to stay north of the airport, preferably west of Atlanta. I am a 40 yr old single, African-American woman with no children so good schools are not a concern for me. I am looking for somewhere safe, close to shopping areas that is diverse. I am looking to rent first before purchasing and would like to spend $1500-$2000 per month. And I would like an easy commute to Downtown or Mid-Town Atlanta for nightlife. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you are looking to live in an urban environment in Intown Atlanta, Midtown is an excellent place to look for rental housing, like primaltech suggested.

You could also look to see what you could find in other desirable Intown neighborhoods like Atlantic Station, Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Little Five Points, Glenwood Park, Grant Park, Poncey-Highland, Virginia Highland, Sweet Auburn, Oakland, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, Edgewood, East Atlanta Village, Kirkwood, West Midtown and Downtown Decatur.

If you want to live in an urban/post-suburban environment in an Intown neighborhood and want to be within 30-45 minutes of the Airport primarily by way of MARTA subway access, you could also look in areas with direct MARTA subway access like Lindbergh (at and around the Lindbergh MARTA Station), Buckhead (near the Lenox MARTA Station), Brookhaven (at and around the Brookhaven MARTA Station) and Chamblee (at and near the Chamblee MARTA Station).

If you want to live in an inner-suburban environment that provides good access to the Atlanta Airport by way of MARTA heavy rail service, you could look in the amenity-rich Perimeter Center area at, around and near the Medical Center, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and North Springs MARTA stations.

If you want to live in an inner-suburban environment with lots of amenities that provides good freeway access to the Atlanta Airport by way of the West Wall of the I-285 Perimeter, you could look in areas like Smyrna, Vinings and Cumberland.

If you want to live in an environment that has a much more outer-suburban feel with lots of affordable retail and dining amenities that gives you good access to the Atlanta Airport from the west, you could look in the Douglasville area at and around the Chapel Hill Road and Georgia Highway 5 exits off of I-20 west of Atlanta.

If you don't mind living in a 'no-frills' outer-suburban area with a reasonable amount of roadside amenities, you could look in the eastern parts of Douglas County near the GA 92 and GA 6 exits off of I-20 west of Atlanta that also would give you really good access to the Atlanta Airport from the west.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:42 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,776,190 times
Smyrna/Vinings/Cumberland area would be a good option. I travel to the airport each week (around 7:00 am) and it typically takes me less than 30 minutes to offsite parking on Camp Creek.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,532 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will be visiting the area later this week. I have seen some pretty reasonable homes and townhomes for rent in Mableton. Is Mableton an ok area to live in?

Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 AM

55 posts, read 79,732 times
Mableton is fine but I would only look at more upscale townhomes there. There is more of a mix of inventory in Mableton.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:33 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,776,190 times
Yes - parts of Mableton are great. Smyrna was a bit of a step child until Vinings and Cumberland got too crowded or expensive. Now Smyrna is a popular and desirable location and the overflow is into Mableton.

So Mableton is several years behind Smyrna in development but it is a great alternative especially if schools are not a priority.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,603 times
Hi there,
Great answers for sure. It would be helpful if you could tell us what your hobbies are or what you like to do in your free time/what is important to you besides commute. That would help to narrow down the choices since every one of the areas recommended has something different to offer. Let us know and we can pinpoint you to the PERFECT place

Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 PM

298 posts, read 272,111 times
I have lived in Mableton for 10 years. It's pretty quite for the most part and we like it. We really like the proximity to Midtown and the airport. We work in Marietta and that is also close. I bike a lot and I enjoy the Silver comet trail. It's also great for walking and running. There are some other nice parks around to walk and relax. The restaurants and shopping are not so great but Mableton is so close to everything we just go to Cumberland, Buckhead, Midtown, etc for shopping and dining. The crime is not worse than other areas I have lived in. There is a rash of car break-ins but that was also the case when I lived in Vinings, Buckhead, and Grant Park. The schools are not great but as you mention you don't have kids. There are still some good deals on homes over here. If you drive 5 miles up the road from my house to Smyrna townhomes and houses are in the 400-600K range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta