Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 04:03 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,856,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I cannot bash someone for choosing what they think is best for their kid(s).
I wouldn’t necessarily say that highlighting the choice to send your child to your local public school is bashing parents that don’t, but I understand your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:21 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,856,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Your comments bring up a point. High schools usually don't want the parents particularly involved.
High schools that don’t want parent involvement are often troubled. And more times than not, the administration is likely the cause. That’s why they don’t want to let the parents inside to see the dysfunction. Most good high schools encourage and promote parent involvement.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:35 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
High schools that don’t want parent involvement are often troubled. And more times than not, the administration is likely the cause. That’s why they don’t want to let the parents inside to see the dysfunction. Most good high schools encourage and promote parent involvement.
This. The same with middle schools.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:47 PM

Wealth – Not Enrollment in Private School – Increases Student Achievement
https://gadflyonthewallblog.com/2018...-to-new-study/

Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM

How The Systemic Segregation Of Schools Is Maintained By 'Individual Choices'
https://www.npr.org/2017/10/13/55755...vidual-choices

Are Separate Gifted/Accelerated Programs and 'Tracks' Part of the Problem or the Solution?
https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2...-the-solution/

Old 07-20-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
1. I don’t know about Inman Park, but quite a few from Lake Claire walk or bike, and it’s just about as far—but crossing Clifton and Moreland are a bit different... still, I would guess at least some.

2. Folks zoned for other schools can apply for a school outside of their zone, if there are extra desks, and they provide their own transportation. So, i am pretty sure that the Lin would fill up one way or another—arguably a good thing, since the school could be considered a little too insulated. That said, drop off and pick up is already a zoo—a surreal happy zoo-but, still a zoo—hate to think what adding even more car riders would be like. Maybe having a drop-off/pick up at Candler Park Park?

Also, there is always the possibility that chunks of Druid Hills/Emory could start falling Atlanta’s way, those folks would have to go to school somewhere...
1. Asking because, if a rezone to Hope-Hill were to happen, the walking participation (whether to Hope-Hill or to Mary Lin) would be a major discussion point.

2. Thanks, but...I guess I am asking...of the for-real-zoned-to-Mary-Lin-families, which percentage are Candler Park vs. Lake Claire vs. Inman Park? An estimate? Or, is this not possible to really know at this point?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 PM
bu2

24,117 posts, read 14,928,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Housing is getting so pricey in COA that many lower income Hispanics (and lower income everybody's) may be blocked from attending city schools.
They are tearing down some of the older apartments in Buckhead. Same thing happening in parts of Chamblee.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 PM
bu2

24,117 posts, read 14,928,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Wealth – Not Enrollment in Private School – Increases Student Achievement
https://gadflyonthewallblog.com/2018...-to-new-study/
"...Participants were recruited in 1991 from ten different cities: Little Rock, Arkansas; Irvine, California; Lawrence, Kansas; Boston, Massachusetts; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Charlottesville, Virginia; Seattle, Washington; Hickory and Morganton, North Carolina; and Madison, Wisconsin. They were followed for 15 years and had to complete a month long home visit. In addition, they submitted to both annual interviews and home, school, and neighborhood observations...."

Interesting study results, but these are really atypical cities. 4 college towns, two small NC towns + Philly, Pittsburg, Boston and Seattle.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
"...Participants were recruited in 1991 from ten different cities: Little Rock, Arkansas; Irvine, California; Lawrence, Kansas; Boston, Massachusetts; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Charlottesville, Virginia; Seattle, Washington; Hickory and Morganton, North Carolina; and Madison, Wisconsin. They were followed for 15 years and had to complete a month long home visit. In addition, they submitted to both annual interviews and home, school, and neighborhood observations...."

Interesting study results, but these are really atypical cities. 4 college towns, two small NC towns + Philly, Pittsburg, Boston and Seattle.
How are Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Seattle atypical cities? Plus, they are all fairly different from each other.

I think the sample is great--several very different large urban cities, rural/small towns, and the unique demographics of suburban-esque college towns.

And, they have Little Rock (mid-sized Southern city) and Irvine (suburban West Coast/Southern California) in the mix. Again, a great sample.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:47 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
How are Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Seattle atypical cities? Plus, they are all fairly different from each other.

I think the sample is great--several very different large urban cities, rural/small towns, and the unique demographics of suburban-esque college towns.

And, they have Little Rock (mid-sized Southern city) and Irvine (suburban West Coast/Southern California) in the mix. Again, a great sample.
Looks like a good study to me, too. And I am not surprised with the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta