Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 AM

175 posts, read 204,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Something similar could happen to Hope-Hill if they rezoned Inman Park for it. Transition would be noisy for a couple of years, but folks would settle down once middle and upper class folks from O4W start sending their kids there. (Haven’t been to the school, but guessing they would have to expand to keep up with the demand).
Uh, Hope-Hill is already zoned for Inman Middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 11:49 AM

16,731 posts, read 29,613,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Uh, Hope-Hill is already zoned for Inman Middle.
Uh, he is talking about Inman Park the neighborhood, not Inman Middle School.

Inman Park is zoned for Mary Lin Elementary.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 AM

175 posts, read 204,472 times
Oh!
No, that's never going to happen.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 PM

16,731 posts, read 29,613,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Oh!
No, that's never going to happen.
Never? Uh, yes it could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Oakhurst Elementary was 90+% Black during that time (and before) and up until late 2004. And yes, the school district as a whole was roughly 1/3 white in the late 90s.

Oakhurst's demographics changed in 2004 because they closed Westchester, College Heights, and Glennwood and made three K-3 schools: Oakhurst, Clairemont, and Winnona Park.
(Fifth Avenue was already closed at this time--it had been temporarily absorbed into Oakhurst).
Also in 2004,

became the 4-5 Academy, and College Heights became the Early Childhood Center. Westchester became the home of the Central/Administrative Offices.

At this time/upheaval, the whole southern 2/3 of the former Westchester district was redistricted to Oakhurst. Oakhurst also received some western parts of the Winnona Park district since Winnona Park had to take in the southern half of the former Glennwood district.

Oakhurst went from 90+% Black to 46% White with the stroke of a pen.

This change/restructuring/redistricting, of course, accelerated the rate of gentrification in Oakhurst and the rate of whites entering the system in the southwest part of the city.

Since then, as you know, the schools have again been restructured/redistricted/reopened a few times (now CSD will have Oakhurst, Westchester, Clairemont, Winnona Park, and Glennwood as K-2 schools, and Fifth Avenue and the new Talley Street school as 3-5 schools).

The point is that the CSD demographic changes had more to do with strategic reshuffling/restructuring/redistricting. It was a very pragmatic way to approach things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Something similar could happen to Hope-Hill if they rezoned Inman Park for it. Transition would be noisy for a couple of years, but folks would settle down once middle and upper class folks from O4W start sending their kids there. (Haven’t been to the school, but guessing they would have to expand to keep up with the demand).

Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,889,754 times
The city of Atlanta has been becoming more diverse than just white and black.

There's now a significant number of Hispanic students at several schools and I wouldn't be surprised to see that continue to grow.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,370,698 times
Most Hispanic students in the city are actually in the North Atlanta High/ Sutton Middle School cluster with a larger concentration within Garden Hills Elementary. Sutton Middle has been 1/3 Hispanic for decades. Several years ago there was also a population going to Long Middle School/ South Atlanta High in Southeast Atlanta, not sure if this is still the case. Most seemed to live in trailer parks along the Jonesboro Road corridor right before it "jumps" 285 heading into also Hispanic heavy Forest Park.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,862,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I never not felt comfortable sending my daughter to Toomer. I did not grow up in the suburbs, but rather urban West Palm Beach (east of I-95.) I attended mixed race schools, in fact I remember being the only white student on my school bus for HS, but I nor my mom was ever worried about that fact. I was never bullied or picked on because I was the only white boy on the bus, in fact I learned how to become agreat Spades player. I carried that same mentality to my daughter and have never had issues sending my privileged, blonde haired, blue eyed daughter to schools where she was the minority.
Maybe more and more people moving to the city will have the same mentality as you. What is your response when your neighbors besmirch the traditional APS public schools?

Old 07-20-2018, 02:26 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,927,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Maybe more and more people moving to the city will have the same mentality as you. What is your response when your neighbors besmirch the traditional APS public schools?
I cannot bash someone for choosing what they think is best for their kid(s).

Old 07-20-2018, 02:33 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,795,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep. Transition was a bit noisy at Oakhurst at first, but if settled down right quick. Now, Oakhurst is actually the whitest elementary school in the district, I think.

Two Questions for you:

1. Do any/some/a lot of Inman Park students and families actually walk to Mary Lin Elementary (instead of taking the bus)?

2. If Mary Lin was just Candler Park and Lake Claire, would that be enough students and families to fill the school?
1. I don’t know about Inman Park, but quite a few from Lake Claire walk or bike, and it’s just about as far—but crossing Clifton and Moreland are a bit different... still, I would guess at least some.

2. Folks zoned for other schools can apply for a school outside of their zone, if there are extra desks, and they provide their own transportation. So, i am pretty sure that the Lin would fill up one way or another—arguably a good thing, since the school could be considered a little too insulated. That said, drop off and pick up is already a zoo—a surreal happy zoo-but, still a zoo—hate to think what adding even more car riders would be like. Maybe having a drop-off/pick up at Candler Park Park?

Also, there is always the possibility that chunks of Druid Hills/Emory could start falling Atlanta’s way, those folks would have to go to school somewhere...

Old 07-20-2018, 02:37 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,889,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Most Hispanic students in the city are actually in the North Atlanta High/ Sutton Middle School cluster with a larger concentration within Garden Hills Elementary. Sutton Middle has been 1/3 Hispanic for decades. Several years ago there was also a population going to Long Middle School/ South Atlanta High in Southeast Atlanta, not sure if this is still the case. Most seemed to live in trailer parks along the Jonesboro Road corridor right before it "jumps" 285 heading into also Hispanic heavy Forest Park.
Housing is getting so pricey in COA that many lower income Hispanics (and lower income everybody's) may be blocked from attending city schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta