Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 AM

19 posts, read 63,211 times

Advertisements

hi, there, everybody

After several months' searches online, my wife and I finally decided to move to Atlanta--despite the recent tornado---

We plan to spend a week from May 14 to May 21 in Atlanta to purchase a house in Johns Creek, Suwanee or Alpharetta. My biggest concern is the quality of the school district. I have heard that Johns Creek have top rated schools, anyone can inform me on the school districts for the above mention cities--Johns Creek, Suwanee and Alpharetta??? Which one has the comparatively better schools??

Much obliged..

PS. anyone knows any good real estate agent? you know i am planning on buying a house in a week so I need a good sales agent.

God Bless You ALL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:27 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Tao View Post
We plan to spend a week from May 14 to May 21 in Atlanta to purchase a house in Johns Creek, Suwanee or Alpharetta. My biggest concern is the quality of the school district. I have heard that Johns Creek have top rated schools, anyone can inform me on the school districts for the above mention cities--Johns Creek, Suwanee and Alpharetta??? Which one has the comparatively better schools??
I did hear that Johns Creek has a very good school system - but other than that - I know nothing about the schools or the surrounding real estate.

Here is a link on school ratings that might be helpful to you. GreatSchools.net

Good luck and welcome!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 11,824 times
Because my wife is a speech therapist in a private practice that caters to the educational setting, she has has been in or knows most of the public and private elementary schools in Johns Creek and Alpharetta. The good news is that there are many options. Where are you moving from?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
My personal impression is that the Johns Creek or Alpharetta schools are higher quality than the Gwinnett Schools. It depends upon which Gwinnett School you are talking about, but the best Gwinnett schools (Brookwood High School) are closer to Snellville as opposed to northern Gwinnett. The city of Buford has its own school system, and I don't know much about that area (as compared to Gwinnett schools).

Northview High School in Johns Creek is supposed to be an excellent school.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Please see the school thread at the top of the Atlanta board: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html

Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 33,786 times
I would say you have heard correctly. Johns creek, suwanee and Alpharetta are good school district and good areas to live as well. There are various sites for school comparison. just google some.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 AM

8 posts, read 77,790 times
We have been in the same process for the past 3 month, and finally we have found a nice home in Alpharetta. We have had 7 interviews with different elementary schools in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Duluth, and decided to buy in an area where all 3 schools (elemen., mid, high) are top rated.
Our new zip will be 30005.

We are relocating from Europe, so we really needed somebody we could trust, and found that in our real estate agent. You are welcome to PM me if you want her contact details.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:04 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Cayennes

I want to commend you for looking at the schools yourself. That is what all parents should do.

Arthur, while you are visiting during what is basically the last week of school, and as a school tour guide, I wouldn't be so happy to see you, you might want to consider arranging a least one visit to a school. I can't remember if you have school age children yet, but if you do, visiting a school is a way to really get to know the personality of the school. If your children are very young, or not even born yet, this isn't quite as necessary as alot can change in ensuing years. N. Fulton has historically had strong schools and I don't think that will change.

Would it be possible for your wife to come earlier and do a school tour? Actually, state testing begins the middle of April and ends around May 1, so even if she could come in the week before you are planning to, you might be serving your family well.

Choosing a school needs to be based on lots of things, much more than just test scores, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta