Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
It's called SkyHouse. Watched a half dozen cop cars descend on the place a couple nights ago and just witnessed a brawl that spilled out of the lobby about 30 minutes ago, during which someone was severely beaten or possibly stabbed and a getaway car screeched away.
Yeah, I don't think Buckhead is as safe as people assume. It seems to be a hotspot for crime because it's known as the "wealthy" area and is very commercial/flashy. Meanwhile, the wealthy neighborhoods on the east side like druid hills, Inman park, candler park are largely left alone because of the understated nature of the wealth. This is evident in the stats, as Zone 6 is now seemingly the safest (at least in terms of homicides).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 PM

198 posts, read 153,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Yeah, I don't think Buckhead is as safe as people assume. It seems to be a hotspot for crime because it's known as the "wealthy" area and is very commercial/flashy. Meanwhile, the wealthy neighborhoods on the east side like druid hills, Inman park, candler park are largely left alone because of the understated nature of the wealth. This is evident in the stats, as Zone 6 is now seemingly the safest (at least in terms of homicides).

I wish all these new apartments in Buckhead--SkyHouse and Cyan in particular--would convert to condos, because there's obviously no legitimate screening process behind who rents in or accesses these building.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Our Southern sister cities have seen their murder rate climb.
Quote:
The number of homicides in the city of Birmingham and throughout Jefferson County increased again in 2017, the third consecutive year to see a rise in the somber tally.

The city ended the year with 111 homicides, up from 104 in 2016. In all of Jefferson County, there were 172 homicides including the 111 in Birmingham, up from 151 the previous year.
Quote:
In nearby Tennessee, as of Dec. 30, Nashville had recorded 105 criminal homicides, up from 83 in 2016.
2017 bloodshed in Birmingham, Jefferson County leads to homicide increase for 3rd straight year | AL.com

Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Wow, Birmingham 111 murders with less than half Atlanta's population. Nashville with roughly the same murder rate as Atlanta even though it's seen as a "safe" city.

Also noteworthy that Atlanta's total crimes decrease even thought the population is (likely) increasing significantly (although we have to wait until 2020 to find out for sure, provided that our federal government is still capable of carrying out a census at such time).

Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Some useful graphics from the AJC.

The city has gotten safer over the years.

CRIME IN ATL

Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,456 times
Great job CoA!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Uh oh. What happened in Buckhead?
Well, when your murder number was previously 3, it only takes a small increase to lead to a huge percentage increase.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:58 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Well, when your murder number was previously 3, it only takes a small increase to lead to a huge percentage increase.
Every other neighborhood went down.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 AM

617 posts, read 551,988 times
I am interested in the crime rate for the Metro area as a whole, I know those numbers will be hard to come up with. As gentrification is pushing many out of the city, I am wondering what the crime rates are doing in the other metro area counties.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
I wish all these new apartments in Buckhead--SkyHouse and Cyan in particular--would convert to condos, because there's obviously no legitimate screening process behind who rents in or accesses these building.
You’d be surprised about some of those condo high rises though. You got some like Park Place that are full of quiet old Buckhead Betty’s and low key foreigners, then you got some like Buckhead Grand that are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Others like Buckhead Loop are in the middle with a mix of both. There is a very healthy underworld in Atlanta, and it’s not always some cat hanging out on a corner on the Westside or in Decatur. Sometimes it’s that guy at the end of your floor with a new Audi in the parking deck, 4 cell phones and a shoe box under his bed with 50 grand in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
I am interested in the crime rate for the Metro area as a whole, I know those numbers will be hard to come up with. As gentrification is pushing many out of the city, I am wondering what the crime rates are doing in the other metro area counties.
It’s not pretty, if you take the just the 5 core Metro Counties the murder rate is in the 300 + range. And if you took that population number and compare it to other cities, it’s puts us in the Philly territory which isn’t that good if you ask me. I’ve always thought it was a baby conspiracy why the media never compiles the total metro numbers, maybe it’s just me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta