Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,509 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about investing in a business in Stone Mountain, GA near the intersection of Memorial Dr and N. Hairston. Can anybody tell me if the surrounding area is improving, declining or staying the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 04:08 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
Hi,
I don't have first hand experience but I have good friends who lived there all their lives, raising young children, who had to move from the area due to the crime and gang activity. They said it was getting so bad that they were afraid for their kids, so they moved north of Gainesville, into the mountains and are much happier and safer now. Just thought I'd relay what I was told. (They just visited us about a month ago). Hopefully someone from there can help clarify this? It's such a beautiful place to be spoiled like that

Old 10-31-2006, 01:17 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingler View Post
I am thinking about investing in a business in Stone Mountain, GA near the intersection of Memorial Dr and N. Hairston. Can anybody tell me if the surrounding area is improving, declining or staying the same?
High crime rate,stay clear of that area.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,849 times
What type of business? I am very familiar with that intersection. There are many retail (Big Lots) and restaurant establishments (Chinese Buffet, etc.), food shopping stores (Kroger), Nail Salon, etc. The area is predominantly African-American, and I've never had any problems shopping there. You can always check with the Stone Mountain police to ask about crime stats yourself. Some districts post this info on the web.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:43 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
Trust me,crime was bad in that area in the 90's and it has not changed much.Give or take what Stone Mountain Police will say about the crime there.I say be your on judge and visit this area and see for yourself.As the poster said above me,it is predominantly African-American and low income housing.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
Ummm, considering the poster who was looking to invest in a business posted their question in April I would guess they have already made a decision.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 PM

ya know most of the time I don't even look at when it was posted but your right,I hope she made the right judgement.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:35 AM

232 posts, read 1,722,157 times
I was a police officer in Dekalb for 5 years and worked in that area. That intersection is not in the city of Stone Mountain. It is in unincorporated Dekalb. As far as dollars and cents are concerned, it is probably a relatively strong area. Lots of traffic, both vehicles and pedestrians. As far as safety from burglaries, robberies, carjackings and so forth... you'd better keep your doors locked and watch your surroundings. It is a dangerous area. There are a tremendous amount of murders / robberies / drugs / etc in that entire corridor.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 AM

13 posts, read 32,764 times
That intersection is definitly a bad area like most intersections in the stone mountain area you have better luck in decatur DaSIC900blk-RedanRD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta