Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:23 AM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times

Advertisements

Doesn't have to be in Georgia, can be anywhere. Interstate or State maintained.

For me it goes in the following order with #1 being the best..

#6. U.S. 78 / I-22 between Birmingham AL and Memphis TN. - Much of the limited access portions, especially in Mississippi, have existed for a long time but Mississippi gave it a face lift and Alabama completed their portion and while it may not be THE most scenic route I've seen, it definitely does show how American Interstate standards have improved over time. You can tell the design differences between it and older interstates.

#5. Alaskan Way Viaduct / WA 99 / Seattle WA. I truly miss this route, sometimes I would take the long way to work just to use bridge as it rides along side of the lake and downtown Seattle... They're in process of replacing it with a tunnel, the viaduct will be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ra8z0z081I

#4. Lake Shore Drive / U.S. 41 - One of the most beautiful highways in America taking you along the shoreline of downtown Chicago (one of the most beautiful skylines in America) - Also not an Interstate but is biult to freeway standards and is ALSO in some regard, related to our Cobb Pkwy (U.S. 41) .. Just .. don't take this road during rush hour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-jKxpc6-8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC80DiAsN_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD4hftVPrEw

#3. CA-99 between I-5 terminus in Southern California and Sacramento California. -- How did this make it on the list? I mean, this road is NOT scenic and its course lies mostly on flat lands through Central to Northern California... It's not the scenery but what I love about this road is that it maintains many amenities of an Interstate, in the form of a state route and its LONG. If it were placed in Georgia, it would be longer than I-75 from TN stateline to FL stateline (355 miles) where as CA99 is aproximately 424 miles, or EXACTLY long enough to take you from Downtown Atlanta, to Louisville Kentucky (421 highway miles) and remains a freeway for its entire length! It goes through half of the state and on top of this, it is mostly suburban throughout its entire route... meaning you're ALWAYS in some fairly populated town for over 400 miles (it literally looks like you're driving through Rockdale County on I-20 for approximately 400 miles, and also services Bakersfield, Fresno, Sacramento and a few other cities.) I just personally find that to be incredible for a road that is not an interstate and 400 miles of non stop urban / suburban areas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiayhV_EeHk

#2. I-80 through the Rocky Mountains between the state line of Montana / Utah, to Salt Lake City - Some of this Highway is built along side a cliff and there's a section right before you enter SLC that you can see the entire metro area and at night it's absolutely beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAoLQmsgpA0

#1. I-90 through Snoqualmie Pass - This is by far one of the most scenic mountain interstates I have ever driven with the only thing that comes close is I-70 through the Rocky Mountains in CO. When I first saw it I was completely blown away, I had never knew America had scenery like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv-UWj0pZHM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 09:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
I-70 thru Rocky Mountains or I-15 between Butte, MT and Helena, MT

Old 09-29-2017, 10:00 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,236 times
Wrong forum...?

Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
Itp ga-400

Old 09-29-2017, 10:11 AM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Not quite no. - MAYBE it doesn't belong in the Atlanta section, but I don't think the Automotive would really be any better. Given its a large range that incorporates several geographic regions, I don't believe there really is a "right" place.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:11 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Nothing in metro Atlanta, that's for sure!!!!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:50 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Probably I-40 through Flagstaff and the San Fransisco Peaks, though I much more prefer the non-limited access highways in the SW. For some reason they just seem to go through much more interesting territory, though that wasn't the OP.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:11 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,881 times
I-39 through Illinois (or any freeway on a flat landscape) is nice because it's such an road to drive. I really like the Aroyo Seco in LA, but it's more of a parkway.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Not quite no. - MAYBE it doesn't belong in the Atlanta section, but I don't think the Automotive would really be any better. Given its a large range that incorporates several geographic regions, I don't believe there really is a "right" place.
Sure there is. It's called the Travel forum.

How is this Atlanta related?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:14 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
I'll make it Atlanta related. Coming in from the west on I-20 and topping the ridge just east of Thornton Road just before Six Flags and seeing the skyline going from downtown up to midtown is magnificent. Especially when you have been away from the area for a while. Makes me tear up.

Especially if it is right about dusk and the buildings are lit but a little of the western skylight is hitting them just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta