Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A couple of things to read up on:

ATLANTA: City's budget likely to take big cut | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/02/19/atlbudget0219.html - broken link)

11Alive.com - Is City's Budget Hole Even Bigger? (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=111190 - broken link)

Atlanta budget deficit could top $80M - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

It was announced on the news that the streetcar project is now stalled (and perhaps completely dead) due to this, and several proposed projects have been stalled as well. NOT good.
While I do conceed that the budget deficit is bad news, this hasn't happened before during the Franklin administration. As far as the streetcar project, it's spearheaded by a public-private entity of major property owners and business owners along Peachtree--Atlanta Streetcar, Inc. The project is to be funded by an additional millage that is to be levied on properties along the corridor, so I don't see how the current deficit would affect the proposed streetcar.

As far as everything else, I will still say that Atlantans enjoy a higher quality of life than many of our suburban counterparts--especially regarding commute times, proximity to services, and even education in many instances (yup there are schools inside of the city that are better than many suburban schools). You couldn't pay me to live in the traffic-snarled OTP area, so really, the opinions of many OTP folks on this forum are out of touch and off the mark. Atlantans have a lot of input in civic issues through the NPU system and the many homeowners remain very active and connected with the rest of the community. Atlanta is booming and people that live in the city enjoy what it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Reed or Norwood. God help the City of Atlanta!
Hasn't the general population yet learned?
Reed is part of the same old machine that has basically bankrupted the city.
If not for private investment only to maintain their current network, ie. Coca Cola, Home Depot, etc., this city would be the total mirror of Detroit instead of a second cousin.

The only benefit the City of Atlanta has had under Queen Shirley and the previous convicted felon, is the population influx from the other counties and the migration to the South from the Rust Belt.

The Mayorship of Atlanta is almost becoming a twin to our Presidential cronies.
To compare Atlanta to Detroit is insane. Have you been to Detroit lately?

You sound like one of those types that brag to their friends about how many years its been since you've stepped foot inside the City.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Reed or Norwood. God help the City of Atlanta!
Hasn't the general population yet learned?
Reed is part of the same old machine that has basically bankrupted the city.
If not for private investment only to maintain their current network, ie. Coca Cola, Home Depot, etc., this city would be the total mirror of Detroit instead of a second cousin.
Yeah, when I look out of my window at the $800K townhomes across the street and treelined streets I think to myself, "wow, this is so Detroit..."

Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,443 times
So where wouldn't Clark fit in here?

Franklin: Layoffs, property tax increase needed | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/30/atlbudget_0501.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

sorry people, time to vote for someone who can bring real change, not that Obama guy but the guy sitting right here in Atlanta, CLARK!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
Interesting.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
So where wouldn't Clark fit in here?

Franklin: Layoffs, property tax increase needed | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/30/atlbudget_0501.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

sorry people, time to vote for someone who can bring real change, not that Obama guy but the guy sitting right here in Atlanta, CLARK!
same day article, add water to your list with property tax:

'Average folks' to fund sewer fixes if feds don't, says mayor | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/30/sewercost_0501.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

this part was interesting:

Franklin's already bumped up sewer rates 70 percent in five years. So if all the rate hikes are adopted by the Atlanta City Council in June, the average household's water bill will have jumped from $50 to $135 over 10 years — a 170 percent increase. At the same time, the Department of Watershed Management will propose cutting about 140 positions to save money.

Guess Atlanta is moving to a bluer state, tax, tax, tax. It solves everything!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Well, according to THIS (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=115192 - broken link) article this morning, things in the city limits are going to get much worse before they get better.

No doubt, every city probably has a few folks here and there who aren't really needed, so A FEW layoffs are probably warranted to cut the fat so to speak, but if the Mayor immediately had her way, quite a few firemen/women and police would be gone today as well. Luckily, at least a few members of the City Council have more brains than Clayton County officials, and they're putting up as many road blocks as possible to keep essential emergency employees where they are.

It should be noted too, that the 140 million budget shortfall (over two years) is still unexplained. They still have no real idea how this money "disappeared" into another dimension without any of them knowing it until the last minute.

I'll expect many more "Clark Howard for Mayor" threads will start up in the coming months.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:40 PM

55 posts, read 233,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
I only support someone who has a vision of 21st century for Atlanta, who wants to transit Atlanta into a modern world class city. I know Norwood doesn't support infill in the city and she likes sprawl in Atlanta, so she is not on my list. I want someone who supports good public transportation and density in the city and walkable in urban area, low crime, less homeless, very commercialized in downtown and midtown, and etc. The mayor should supports all urban projects to transit Atlanta into a 24/7 city, a city without sleep.
Are you kidding me? Mary Norwood is the biggest supporter of intown neighborhoods that I know of!! One of her big projects is to get loving homeowners into empty intown homes. She was behind "Atlanta's Secret Places" at the Atlanta Home Show in March in an effort to draw attention to the neighborhoods. As a Westview resident I have a lot of appreciation for all the work she's done for our neighborhood!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM

7 posts, read 28,311 times
Quote:
I only support someone who has a vision of 21st century for Atlanta, who wants to transit Atlanta into a modern world class city. I know Norwood doesn't support infill in the city and she likes sprawl in Atlanta, so she is not on my list.
i think you are getting the issues confused. mary norwood is a huge supporter of intown neighborhoods. in fact she is such a huge supporter she fought against the mcmansion infill. infill housing does not work well in our beautiful historic neighborhoods.

Quote:
I want someone who supports good public transportation and density in the city and walkable in urban area
again, check out mary norwood. she is involved with connect atlanta. this is a very progressive transportation plan.

you probably should check out her website to understand how much she is already doing for the city and see where she stands on the issues. somebody has provided you with incorrect info.

Home - marynorwood.com

Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 PM

91 posts, read 344,190 times
[quote=patrickbatl;3641340]i think you are getting the issues confused. mary norwood is a huge supporter of intown neighborhoods. in fact she is such a huge supporter she fought against the mcmansion infill. infill housing does not work well in our beautiful historic neighborhoods.

beautiful historic neighborhoods? Last time I checked, most of the infills are occuring in places where the houses are so dilapidated and obsolete. Would you consider the original houses in edgewood or old fourth ward to be beautiful? No way, most of them are dilapidated buildings that couldnt even be considered a house. The ones that are nice usually arent torn down.

If this lady doesnt support infill she is not the right mayor for Atlanta, because that is the only way that intown neighborhoods will continue to attract suburb-minded people. Infill is the only way some of these neighborhoods will be revitalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta