Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 AM

96 posts, read 336,752 times

Advertisements

i may potentially have a job offer in east point, ga. can anyone tell me about this place? is it an easy commute from atlanta (which is where i would want to live,) and what about the crime rate? thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 08:39 AM

154 posts, read 605,750 times
It's GHETTO!!! You'll get shot just over the border! Move to the northern exurbs!!!1!!1

Sorry. I know that's not very helpful. The truth is E. Point is going through a resurgence along with its neighbor, College Park. They both have quaint little downtowns, stops on MARTA, and nice, intown, "streetcar" neighborhoods. One nice neighborhood in E. Point is Jefferson Park. In College Park, the Rugby Ave area is very nice. And if you will be commuting from Atlanta to E. Point you shouldn't have any problems since that is a reverse commute.

Most people here on CD live in suburban enclaves and are frightened of any place that isn't sterile and new. The only thing they don't realize is that their shiny, happy, pretty suburbs wont always be that way. New is transitory. And those neighborhood's descent into slumhood is going to be a lot worse than any inner city neighborhood ever dreamed of being.

Good luck with the move!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
I work in East Point. The place is definitely hood, but it does seem to be coming up. When I first came to the area, I thought about living in EP, but my co workers talked me out of it. My boss' brother got mugged when he lived there... beaten very badly ... another co-worker lived there for awhile and said she was burglarized repeatedly and hated the entire experience. That said, I would definitely take a job in East Point. The place is 100% safe (or feels that way) during the day. When you go downtown for lunch, you'll find plenty of other professionals eating at their many good restaraunts. If you want to live in Atlanta, EP is an ideal location to work. It's very close to the places you're likely to want to live in the city.

At some point down the road, if I were you, I'd even consider buying in East Point. They have some really nice quaint houses that you can buy for a really reasonable price.. and as gas climbs toward the $4 mark (shudder) that MARTA stop is only going to make the place more and more valuable. I'm just not sure at what point to jump in. Those who jump the earliest will of course get the best deals. Got to love gentrification.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 AM

96 posts, read 336,752 times
thanks so much!! would most likely live in midtown, and commute to east point. so you really think that it is safe during the day?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 AM

145 posts, read 598,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn3000 View Post
thanks so much!! would most likely live in midtown, and commute to east point. so you really think that it is safe during the day?
East Point is a city that boarders Atlanta's SW boundaries. EP has multiple neighborhoods that look different, different housing cost, and have varying degrees of issues with crime. A few of East Point's neighborhoods are in fact some of the safest places in Metro Atlanta (Jefferson Park for example, and yes there is data supporting this).

I'm sure if there was a survey you would find that most individuals that have blanket negative remarks to say about an entire city or area are either untraveled or really don't know about the areas in which they speak. East Point (like Atlanta) and College Park are cities that have good parts and bad parts. East Point (The older EP neighborhoods closest to Atlanta) has for years been considered as a Decatur Alternative. I personally know people that have moved from Decatur to East Point. It is just as close to the core of Atlanta, housing stock is similar, but costs are lower. Even Sylvan Hills (SW Atlanta) is getting gentrification overflow from EP. I don't live in EP (I live in Atlanta), but I would consider it and even let my sister live in some of EP's neighborhoods by herself in it's safer neighborhoods.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn3000 View Post

You're smart. You'll be able to live in Midtown and take MARTA down to East Point for work (if you live/work close enough to the MARTA stations).

Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 AM

179 posts, read 557,535 times
I actually live in East Point - in Colonial Hills, which is about a mile from the historic downtown part of East Point. We've seen a lot of change since we moved here just over three years ago, and we would absolutely do it again if given the chance. It's completely safe during the day - I've walked to the library downtown from my house several times. There are several young couples and gay couples in my neighborhood and we're all very friendly with each other when out and about. That being said, I'm not walking around ANY part of Atlanta by myself at night. You're close to downtown and where I live, I'm 1/4 mile from a MARTA station, so getting into town is easy. Don't believe people that tell you that East Point is only a haven for crime. Sure, there's crime, but taking basic precautions will rule most of them out. (There are those who think that you take your life in your hands if you exit the freeway between midtown and the airport. Obviously they've never done it or they'd see that they are WRONG!) There's also a great vibe among the people who live here and it's a bit of a haven for first time homebuyers who consider $300k too much for a starter home and want something closer to the mid-100's. (Do people really consider $300k an 'affordable' first house?) All that to say, working in East Point, you'll be fine.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 126,580 times
Funny, ATL is full of people that think the minute they drive south of I20, they'll get car jacked and murdered. I've lived in EP for about 3 1/2 years now and I love it here. Never had any problems with crime, whether it's vandalism, theft or violence (and I have a Porsche parked outside). Admittedly, I live in the downtown area, close to the Police station, but it does make my blood boil to hear people wheel out the whole "East Point's a haven for crime". As one of the others posters noted, there's crime ALL OVER Atlanta, it's not something that's exclusive to EP, CP and the rest of South ATL. I'll echo what one of the other posters said about it being an affordable and laid back kinda place. Hit the Corner Tavern up on any night of the week to see what a truly diverse and friendly place this is. The only thing I will slate it for, is the slow rate of gentrification here. The city's been crippled in the past by politicians more interested in playing power games, than furthering the progress of the place. But it's happening, slowly....

Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 14,493 times
Where do I start? First off I have lived in Atlanta for 10 or so years. Vinings was too stuffy, Midtown my car was broken into 3 times and I got asked for a dollar 10 times a day, Douglasville-well D'ville sucks because of the commute in and out of the city, Dunwoody-too stuffy and too many combovers, then I decide to buy a house. I looked all over Atlanta for a cool, hip, young, diverse, and transitional area so I could make a purchase that was reasonable and still live inside the perimeter. I agree with the post stating that the suburbs will feel the effect of the inner city transitions. During my search I found many places that fit my guidlines. Decatur, East Atlanta, and several areas around there were nice but when I found my home in East Point I was hooked. I checked the area out for some time before purchasing (6mo.) I spent time going out at night and the daytime. The area is predominantly black and the area is in need of some cleansing but that is happening. I have lived here for one year now and you see alot of cultural diversity. I live in the Oak Knoll area of East Point. It's one mile from "The Point's" Square, 4 miles to the airport, and 11 miles from Downtown, I love it. Oak Knoll in EP is more Brady Bunch to me, nice neighborhoods, 1-3 acre yards, and bigger houses, I purchased a 4bed 3bath home on 1.5 acres for 200k. The neighbors are great and I would do it all over again. I work in public service in an area that serves all of Atlanta and everyone that worked in EP 10 years ago can tell you the transformation that has taken place. EP is undergoing a revamping in 2 phases that will be starting shortly with new lighting new sidewalks and a facelift. I think everyone will be happy.

Come see for yourself! When you come try out EP Corner Taverns lunch special it is always great, Taco Rico has rockin Burritos, Thumbs up diner has a phenomenal breakfast, and if you are in the mood for some vintage shopping try the Clothing Warehouse the clothes are $6 a pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta