Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:29 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,401,094 times

Advertisements

I have a very good friend that will be here from Switzerland in a couple of weeks, and one thing that he wants to do is tour the CNN Building, which I've never visited in all the years I lived in Atlanta. I've read some reviews online, and most seem unimpressed; mainly because they say all the major anchors have been moved to NYC, and you don't get to see a live broadcast as part of the tour, but instead just a bunch of employees sitting at cubicles. Also, that most of the tour guides seem unenthusiastic....

He also wants to go tour Coca-Cola, The MLK Museum, and the Aquarium. Should I just tell him we should pass on CNN??

Last edited by No2Monsanto; 05-21-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 02:36 PM

62 posts, read 62,574 times
I wouldn't do it honestly. Seeing the inside of the CNN building is pretty cool itself, but the tour seems lame. Take him to Stone Mountain or Little Five Points instead.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:55 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
Based on your plans - don't forget to checkout City Pass

Official Atlanta CityPASS® | Visit 5 Atlanta Attractions for $76.75

Last edited by lorilove; 05-21-2016 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 05-21-2016, 03:08 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Based on your plans - don't forget to checkout City Pass

Official Atlanta CityPASS® | Visit 5 Atlanta Attractions for $76.75
Oh, wow! Thanks for this link....

Old 05-21-2016, 04:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,951,889 times
Skip the tour. Take your friend to lunch in the CNN food court / atrium. It's HUGE and impressive enough, with the studios overlooking the interior, giant video screens of the various networks broadcasting live etc, a big Turner studio store.

Since you're going to be at Centennial Park visiting the aquarium and Coke museum, you MUST MUST MUST go to the adjacent Center for Civil and Human Rights. Amazing museum that will be the highlight of your friend's trip, guaranteed.

Check out Center for Civil and Human Rights on TripAdvisor
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a.html?m=19904

Old 05-21-2016, 04:57 PM

22 posts, read 54,309 times
As someone who watches CNN, I enjoyed the tour. Used the CityPass so the deal was good too.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:44 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,266,204 times
I agree, the food court is impressive. Also, if you do take the tour you ascend on (I think) the world's longest and tallest free standing escalator. Kind of cool.

I enjoyed the tour for my kids' sake. I wanted them to see a newsroom etc.

Since the tour is directly across the street from the World of Coke, you can easily do both.

Alley

Old 05-21-2016, 06:44 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,024,205 times
NewsBoy... How much of CNN is Broadcasted from CNN Center? I had heard alot has moved to CNN/NYC.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:19 PM

245 posts, read 653,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Since you're going to be at Centennial Park visiting the aquarium and Coke museum, you MUST MUST MUST go to the adjacent Center for Civil and Human Rights. Amazing museum that will be the highlight of your friend's trip, guaranteed.[/url]
I have to second this. It's very difficult to go through, but it's something everyone should visit.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,951,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
NewsBoy... How much of CNN is Broadcasted from CNN Center? I had heard alot has moved to CNN/NYC.
The weekday / weeknight anchors on CNN domestic are based in NYC or DC, but overnight and most weekend newscasts are still done from Atlanta. They're even back to saying "from CNN world headquarters in Atlanta" at the top of those hours, and they usually sit in front of a background image of either the downtown or midtown skylines. Also, remember that CNN's master control, lead producers, writers, digital programmers, web producers etc are based in Atlanta. Along with CNN International, Espanol, Airport Channel, etc. All of CNN's meteorologists are in Atlanta. And they still have a TON of reporters, field producers, cameramen etc based in Atlanta because they can get on a plane and go anywhere within an hours notice.

And of course, HLN (Headlne News) is still based entirely at CNN Center, including the highly popular (and rated) "Morning Expreee with Robin Meade." She is a huge Atlanta booster and pretty much told network execs she would quit if they tried to move her show to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta