Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 AM

26 posts, read 26,935 times

Advertisements

Chamblee/Brookhaven, public option is good Chamblee High School, lots of private schools nearby.
Would be in a nice home for $800K, check out Sexton Woods and Murphey Candler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,849,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkerber View Post
Are there specific East Cobb neighborhoods good for families with Kids? I want my kids to be able to walk to friends homes, walk to the neighborhood pool/tennis if possible. I'm seeing lots of small (8-10 home) communities but I'd prefer much larger to improve odds of having friends near.
Hmm. East Cobb is a part of Marietta. It is pretty much all families with kids. While I would not recommend strolling down Johnson's Ferry, most of the side streets are fine.

Since you mentioned neighborhood pool/tennis, I think you may be looking for a suburb with an HOA instead so I'm changing my recommendation. East Cobb is more of a if you pool, then you put one in your backyard. I think Alpharetta might be your best choice.

In a different of Cobb, I can recommend neighborhood that offers pretty much everything you mentioned. It's on Westover Lane, but the commute to Coke is pretty much going to suck and there will be no feasible public transit options at all - not so much as a park and ride.

So, I think you should check out some neighborhoods in Alpharetta. I'd recommend Gwinnett Co., but it has more of an East Cobb setting while moving you further away.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:01 PM

283 posts, read 362,709 times
Quote:
The job is with Coca-Cola downtown. So smack in the middle of the city ....
I wouldn't really say Coke is smack in the middle of the city. It's on the border of West Midtown/Downtown - more off to the side. North Ave. is a pain during rush hour, which is probably going to be your egress/ingress.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:02 PM

16 posts, read 23,047 times
Default East Cobb Neighborhoods

Quote:
Are there specific East Cobb neighborhoods good for families with Kids? I want my kids to be able to walk to friends homes, walk to the neighborhood pool/tennis if possible. I'm seeing lots of small (8-10 home) communities but I'd prefer much larger to improve odds of having friends near.
I would look in neighborhoods from Post Oak Tritt Rd NE on the North to Sewell Mill Rd NE on the South, bounded by Johnson Ferry Rd NE on the East and Murdock Rd NE on the West to start. That's the heart of the coveted school districts. I'm first-hand familiar with many of the communities, having worked with one of the major builders in that area in the past, and you will find what you describe there.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 PM

62 posts, read 62,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I wouldn't really say Coke is smack in the middle of the city. It's on the border of West Midtown/Downtown - more off to the side. North Ave. is a pain during rush hour, which is probably going to be your egress/ingress.
Didn't Coca Cola move like 2k jobs a few years ago to Downtown?

Downtown lands Coca-Cola IT Center and 2,000 jobs | Downtown Atlanta

They moved those jobs to Suntrust Plaza.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:51 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,932,356 times
Quote:
Since your job is downtown I would look at Perimeter, Dunwoody, or Sandy Springs. All three areas have easy access to marta and would give you the option to avoid having to drive and deal with traffic. Schools are also pretty good in each area.

Good luck on your home search.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,802,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Since your job is downtown I would look at Perimeter, Dunwoody, or Sandy Springs. All three areas have easy access to marta and would give you the option to avoid having to drive and deal with traffic. Schools are also pretty good in each area.

Good luck on your home search.
If you are at the Coca-Cola Plaza off North Avenue, this is 1/2 mile from Marta and not the most pleasant walk. I am sure there are several employees that take that commute and I am not sure if Coca-Cola offers a shuttle but not ideal

Old 05-21-2016, 12:30 PM

2,219 posts, read 3,932,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
If you are at the Coca-Cola Plaza off North Avenue, this is 1/2 mile from Marta and not the most pleasant walk. I am sure there are several employees that take that commute and I am not sure if Coca-Cola offers a shuttle but not ideal
Ok I see, I was thinking five points was the location for some reason. A shuttle sounds like an option.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 18,188 times
Stay downtown! There are some excellent neighborhoods and you won't have to deal with the awful traffic!

My number ONE (surprisingly) would be just as Redfin also recently says, A small section in the HISTORICAL WESTEND downtown is wonderful like Peeples street specifically (if you can even get on that street now as it's mostly bought up and places rarely come up on that street and when they do they are gone within three days) but also some other streets close to it are also very nice -- WESTVIEW is really coming on but in both these areas you have to know which are the marquee streets and the up and coming ones -- parts of "the EAV" are more than ok (some wknd traffic); Grant park is good and Candler Pk is very good as is Virginia highlands being real good and expensive but real nice -- Inman and Reynoldstown and Cabbagetown (yes you have your work cut out for you but stay in town -- everyone is moving back in town and there is more action in town than anywhere else!!

Decatur is still too far out for my tastes although about 20 minutes really but has amazing schools which historic district downtown does not!

Really depends on you and the feel you like (the more affluent African Americans live out Cascade Heights way and there are some amazing places out Niskey Lake/Trl and "the heights" with closer better shopping than WESTEND and WESTVIEW.

Quote:

Old 05-22-2016, 09:38 AM

23,683 posts, read 44,474,088 times
No mention of Morningside? Great neighborhood with a good school cluster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta