Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:58 AM

1,054 posts, read 929,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I work within 2 miles of the new stadium and I am dreading its opening next year. I will have to become very familiar with the Braves schedule so that I know what days to work at home. Traffic has already reached a level of insanity with the DDI interchange work and the closing of Interstate North Parkway West.
Of course it will have an impact on traffic, and we're all concerned, I'm anticipating the further north you are the worse it will be (and you wont want to have to navigate 285 westbound before 75 on those days). For us in the Vinings area I think the impact will be limited. Thinking positively, Most of the night games will be during the summer, with less cars on the roads, September will probably be the worse. You can count on logistics being a work in progress for the first season, improvements will be made over time. We are looking forward to walking to the circulator bus for games and concerts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
DOT lost a huge proponent of transit projects and lacks skilled labor to operate equipment and fix signals. This then has to be contracted out, costing more money.
I understand you are concerned for the future, and felt jilted by Cobb, but you have yet to cite a CURRENT impact. Massimo wasn't going to get the country to join MARTA anyway.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,034,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
I understand you are concerned for the future, and felt jilted by Cobb, but you have yet to cite a CURRENT impact. Massimo wasn't going to get the country to join MARTA anyway.
I don't feel jilted by Cobb, in fact it is the other way around. I abruptly left them, part of that brain drain.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:00 PM

Obviously by your public comments you do, irrationally so at times.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
"Judgment Day looms for that season of secrets in Cobb and Paulding counties" (Atlanta Journal Constitution/Political Insider)
Judgment Day looms for that season of secrets in Cobb and Paulding counties | Political Insider blog
In Cobb County, Tim Lee is likely to ultimately be rewarded with re-election to another term as commission chairman for helping to lure the Braves away from Atlanta with a publicly-funded stadium.
Not by me. Even if the stadium turns out to be a good deal, the process was NOT acceptable.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,173,904 times
Paulding is nimby nirvana, nuff said.

While B2R's evaluation is perfectly valid as usual (you really are a credit to the forum!), as a Cobb transplant there is no animus, hubris, or even good old fashioned hate in my heart or mind toward Atlanta, in any way, shape, or form.

So, will Lee get my vote? Hell, no, holmes! The development in Cumberland is certainly important for the county (and the metro, to keep the team and potentially spur transit into Cobb), but the way it was done trumps any of those beneficial considerations.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:44 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,329,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Paulding is nimby nirvana, nuff said.

While B2R's evaluation is perfectly valid as usual (you really are a credit to the forum!), as a Cobb transplant there is no animus, hubris, or even good old fashioned hate in my heart or mind toward Atlanta, in any way, shape, or form.

So, will Lee get my vote? Hell, no, holmes! The development in Cumberland is certainly important for the county (and the metro, to keep the team and potentially spur transit into Cobb), but the way it was done trumps any of those beneficial considerations.
I fully agree that he does not deserve re-election. I just wish that there were a good candidate running. From what I have seen, the two challenging him seem to be running on a "we won't spend money on anything" platform, and that's no better. There's no Democrat in the race, unfortunately, so we will be stuck with whoever wins the primary, and that is probably not a desirable outcome, at least for me. I will probably sit this primary out.

I saw Lee a couple of weeks ago at Taste of Marietta on the Square, and thought about stopping and telling him I would consider voting for him if he'd support MARTA expansion or some other kind of rail transit, but I was having too good a time at the festival to ruin it by getting in a political discussion.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM

23,726 posts, read 25,034,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
I fully agree that he does not deserve re-election. I just wish that there were a good candidate running. From what I have seen, the two challenging him seem to be running on a "we won't spend money on anything" platform, and that's no better. There's no Democrat in the race, unfortunately, so we will be stuck with whoever wins the primary, and that is probably not a desirable outcome, at least for me. I will probably sit this primary out.

I saw Lee a couple of weeks ago at Taste of Marietta on the Square, and thought about stopping and telling him I would consider voting for him if he'd support MARTA expansion or some other kind of rail transit, but I was having too good a time at the festival to ruin it by getting in a political discussion.
He would have gave you some BS about how CobbLinc could run transit better, BRT for cheap, more BS, etc.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:01 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,329,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
He would have gave you some BS about how CobbLinc could run transit better, BRT for cheap, more BS, etc.
Oh, I don't doubt it. I will at least give him some credit for trying to push the BRT thing, even if that particular iteration was pretty poorly conceived. It was certainly at least a step in the right direction. And frankly, I wouldn't care who ran a transit system. I would just like to have a good one, no matter who runs it. Remember, until very recently, MARTA wasn't exactly known for running anything resembling a good, efficient system, and despite recent improvement, there's still plenty of room for more.

The optimistic cynic (is there such a thing?) in me keeps hoping that the stadium deal is, in part, an attempt to finally make people here realize that transit could really benefit this area. Perhaps I am wrong, but only time will tell.

Last edited by evannole; 05-17-2016 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta