Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 09:16 PM

49 posts, read 48,813 times

Advertisements

I have been working with a real estate agent for over 1 year on buying a home. I bought and sold with her before but my financial situation changed a lot since and I have not been able to find a home in my price range. I think I've become difficult as I have cancelled 3 contracts due to cost, issues with home after inspection and realizing I was over my head financially. I can't make up my mind because I don't like anything I've seen but I have to be out of rental by August 1. My home has been sold. I am worried as I do not believe this agent can find me a home as the method of waiting for listings to pop up, going and seeing them then bidding had resulted in no success. My question is...

1) Am I being unrealistic in thinking another agent is going to find me a hidden gem in this sellers market? (Pocket listings, homes before they are listed, etc...).
2) Is the method I described the norm? Wait, see then bid. buying agents all using same strategies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,803,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow2011 View Post
I have been working with a real estate agent for over 1 year on buying a home. I bought and sold with her before but my financial situation changed a lot since and I have not been able to find a home in my price range. I think I've become difficult as I have cancelled 3 contracts due to cost, issues with home after inspection and realizing I was over my head financially. I can't make up my mind because I don't like anything I've seen but I have to be out of rental by August 1. My home has been sold. I am worried as I do not believe this agent can find me a home as the method of waiting for listings to pop up, going and seeing them then bidding had resulted in no success. My question is...

1) Am I being unrealistic in thinking another agent is going to find me a hidden gem in this sellers market? (Pocket listings, homes before they are listed, etc...).
2) Is the method I described the norm? Wait, see then bid. buying agents all using same strategies?
I've dumped an agent before, but only because, she would not show us the homes we wanted to see, and pushed homes in a subdivision near her home that we were not interested in. My guess is that that your agent, is doing a decent job , and you are having a tough time adjusting to your financial situation and the realities of the current market (and I could be totally wrong, because I don't know you, and there aren't much details here). She got you three accepted bids, if she still seems enthusiastic about selling you a home--I might tend to keep using her--unless this isn't the part of town or price-range she is used to working.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 AM

30 posts, read 33,188 times
I understand your frustration, but more than likely the agent is doing a good enough job. You may just have to reconsider your wants and budget. I was having the same feeling as you, thinking of letting our buyer's agreement expire and look for another agent, when we found the perfect place just outside of our desired area. As for pocket listings, I believe if a seller is super serious about selling the property, they would pay the money to put it on the mls and get the most exposure.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:15 PM

49 posts, read 48,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLvpm View Post
I understand your frustration, but more than likely the agent is doing a good enough job. You may just have to reconsider your wants and budget. I was having the same feeling as you, thinking of letting our buyer's agreement expire and look for another agent, when we found the perfect place just outside of our desired area. As for pocket listings, I believe if a seller is super serious about selling the property, they would pay the money to put it on the mls and get the most exposure.
Thank you. It sounds like you found something with your agent by expanding your search which is what I think I need to do. I don't have a buyers agreement so I can leave anytime but that may not put be in a better position.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 1,872 times
Remember, your agent works for you. Conversely it's important that you keep your agent abreast of any changes in your life that would affect an ultimate purchase. My suggestion would be to have a sit down with your agent and clarify exactly what you're looking for in a home; size, location, price, etc. If the agent can't accommodate then find one that will. Sounds like she is a bit gun shy because of several misfires with contracts. Between you and me... that's part of the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta