Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 17,352 times

Advertisements

Hey, I've tried reading through most of these posts for info, but it's too much to do in like an hour

Anyways, I'm moving to this area at the end of the year to start school in January and I came this past weekend to look at apartments and broke it down to about 5 that I like. So if any of you have lived in these apartments or know anything about them, I would greatly appreciate some insight on which ones are really good and which ones I should avoid like the plague

Here they are:
- Bryson Square at City Park
- Berkeley Heights
- Uptown Square
- Post Biltmore
- Post Renaissance

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 01:08 PM

426 posts, read 2,328,528 times
What school are you going to be attending? That could be huge in determining where you live. Hopefully you will have a car because if you don't the places you will be able to go to have fun, shop, dine, etc. will be very limited. This is a VERY car-central city. Out of the apartments you listed I think that Bryson Park offers the best location without considering school. Its a beautiful development and all of Buckhead and Midtown would be at your doorstep. Needless to say, these are the most exciting neighborhoods to be in for a young person.

I would only reccomend Berkley Heights if you are going to be going to school in the AUC. Its location off Northside offers quick access to the schools down there and you could still get into the heart of Buckhead in less than ten minutes. BUT, if you are not going to school down there I would advise against moving there. The apartments are over-priced for its West Midtown location(West Midtown is up and coming but those prices are on par with Buckhead living).

Post Biltmore is in a superb Midtown location but I would imagine that mostly professionals live there as opposed to college kids. It's location is quite close to GA Tech though. Post Renaisance is a NO all around. It's location will make you feel isolated and cut off from the rest of the world even though it is downtown. It's like 5 mintues or less from Georgia State but thats its only perk. Chances are if you are going to GSU you are only going to be on campus for your classes. There arent many bars/clubs/hangouts in that part of downtown for students in the 18-23 range.

If you visited Uptown Square then you know how small and cramped their apartments are. Their prices are normal for Buckhead but for the same price Buckhead apartments are usually much larger. I wouldnt suggest moving there unless you do not have a car and you are going to GSU. Then it would be perfect.There are several new shops within walking distance of Uptown Square along Piedmont and Sidney Marcus and the train station is like right there which would make your commute to GSU a breeze, if that's where you are going.

Sorry I typed so much...I didnt know what school you would be attending so I wanted to cover all of the major ones in relation to where you want to move.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:42 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,361,651 times
stvincent did a great job laying out the different schools for you. I have to disagree about Post Biltmore though. There are a lot of tech students who live there because it is probably the only commercial apartment building within walking distance to the campus. It is a little more upscale though so you see a lot of professionals as well.

Personally, I think Bryson Square, Uptown Square and Post Biltmore are all excellent choices.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 17,352 times
Hey you all, thanks so much for your responses. I'll actually be attending Portfolio Center in Buckhead and so far it looks like all of the properties I named are in close distance to the school so I won't have to worry about traffic too much. And I already saw how horrendous that traffic was this past weekend!

Now, stvincent, you mentioned that mostly working professionals live at Biltmore and that mostly students live at Bryson Square. Well the thing is I'm a 30-yr grad student basically, so I think I would prefer to live amongst the professionals, but Biltmore may be a LIL out of my range, so I may have to hang with the younguns :-). So we'll see. I have heard some negative things about Renaissace, so that's probably out of the running, and I really didn't like the area around Berkeley Heights, so right now my choices are Bryson, Uptown and Biltmore in that order.

But thanks again for your help, that definitely gave me more insight into what I should do.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,693 times
I am in a similar boat as the OP-- relocating to ATL (30 y/o postdoc @ Tech) and considering Bryson Square: Does anyone know about the recent status of Bryson Square (e.g., is it mostly college age kids, are there still regular break-ins, what about construction to the apartment)? Any info that you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,765,110 times
A friend of mine just listed a one bedroom for rent in The Aramore building in Peachtree Battle/Midtown area. It's renting for $1250 and has great amenities, security, walkability, etc. PM me for the link and more info if you're interested.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:07 AM

815 posts, read 2,149,734 times
I currently live in Bryson Square and love it. My lease is up next month actually and I will be renewing it. Before I moved over there I read online about break-ins and people saying that Bryson Square was a glorified college dorm. I have found those sentiments to be absolutely untrue. I have not experienced or heard of any break ins since I have been there, and there are allot of college students from GA-Tech and GA State that live in there, but there are more nurses and doctors from nearby Piedmont Hospital and other young professional such as myself living there than college students. Most of my neighbors are actually older than me in the 27-33 age range. It is also very dog friendly which is a plus for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: