Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 PM

102 posts, read 393,346 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any intel on this particular subdivision? We saw a home that we're interested in looking at. Additionally, is Ashton Woods a good builder? Any good/bad experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Not sure, but with the park that is going in off Riverwood, and the silver comet trail extension, I think the Oakdale Rd area is a good bet.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
I know which neighborhood you are talking about - remember driving through it with my wife a year or so ago....seems pretty good, but just remember the yards were tiny (we wanted a big back yard for our lab). Location wise, it seems cool b/c it's pretty close to West Village, if I remember correctly.

In terms of Ashton Woods, I would personally look for something by another builder. They appear attractive b/c their developments are so budget friendly, but, well, you know - you get what you pay for. I have a couple friends that have bought townhomes in two separate dev'ts in the Smyrna area and both have had issues. They also kind of look like they could blow away with a stiff wind. If going with a mass builder, I would probably not go any lower than Pulte, and, despite the high cost, would probably stick with the Wielands, John Willis's, and Monte Hewett's. They all have issues, but the latter builders tend to have fewer and resolution is a lot easier.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks Spacelord, this is the type of builder information that I was looking for.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
To be honest with you, as I've now moved onto a "fixer upper" 1970's house, I am 100% in favor of avoiding new construction homes. The mark-up is outrageous and, typically, the quality is not what it used to be. You see how fast they throw up these homes and, especially now with the lean times, you figure there HAS to be some corners cut somewhere. From now on, I will always buy pre-owned homes in nice areas that require just a bit (or, in my current case, a TON) of sweat equity and TLC to get it up to speed. Just my 2 cents, but having lived in both types, I prefer older pre-owned.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Spacelord75,

I am with you. My first house was built in 1987 and even with the omniboard/masonite siding I think it was more solidly built (copper wiring, pipes, no oriented strand board, etc) than many newer homes.

My house now was built in 1925 - anything that was going to go wrong with the quality of construction has already done so and subsequently been repaired in the 80+ years since it was built. Sure, it needed a new roof (but not decking! It's 80+ year old plank decking was in primo condition) and new HVAC but it's solid as a mountain. All that's left to do is make it prettier.

Besides...I like the cracked plaster walls. It looks like someone coated my walls with cake icing...

Old 02-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
To be honest with you, as I've now moved onto a "fixer upper" 1970's house, I am 100% in favor of avoiding new construction homes..
So what do you consider "newer" construction? Houses built post year what?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Newer construction homes are being dumped right now, so often they can be bought without too much of a markup. If you get an inspector in there and a home with a warranty, you should be safe in my opinion.

In Smyrna, 60s/70s ranch style homes are pretty solid, usually have basements, and have bigger lots than the newer homes. Downsides are that you may need to redo the electrical and update the home, look out for rot, and they have small bathrooms and master, carports instead of garages, and the ceiling heights make me feel a little claustrophobic. However, they usually have enough lot space that you could add onto them a little. They also generally look pretty boring, but I've seen some people do some amazing things with these homes without having to tear them down (for ideas, see what they've done to some of the older homes in Buckhead on W. Paces Ferry). The best deals for these types of homes in Smyrna are off Campbell Rd, Creatwood Trail, and Kenwood Rd near Oakdale (though Kenwood Rd is not truly Smyrna). I would also check out Bank Street and Church Street near Market Village.

The older homes in Smyrna are often going to run you close to the newer homes in price because of the bigger lots, and high land value.

Last edited by netdragon; 02-10-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Netdragon -

Thanks for the information. I'm not so sure I want to spend my time being a "fixer-upper".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: