Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:15 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,851,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
West End Park was built from the abandoned Westwood Park project. This was planned after West End was established. It wasn't even in Atlanta city limits when first conceived. It grew along the extended streetcar from West End to the Westview Cemetery along Ralph David Abernathy.
I have to also add that all of what is now Westview was not in Westwood Park/West End Park. If you notice in the Westwood Park map (on the Wikipedia link), the northern part of Westview is not there. That's because to was considered part of the West End.

Also to your point about time, check out the attachment in this post. Then read the quote below. There are people here who really study this stuff...

"This is the section to the east of Mathewson Sub-Division and West End Park. It was the sub-division of the Walton Realty Company property. The map is dated 1913, which is three years after West End Park and two years after Mathewson Sub-Division. It is worth noting there were some existing houses on Oak, Langhorn, etc when the land was sub-divided. Also, check out Langhorn. It was a small residential street."

The image in the map is directly within what is now the Historic West End. And it was establish AFTER Mathewson Subdivision (of the West End) and Westwood Park/West End Park. The point is Langhorn wasn't always the boundary to the West End. It became a boundary when they widened it to make another expressway that never materialized (sort of like Freedom Parkway). Many residents were here before that time and still consider themselves West End residents.

The original West End that was established in 1835 and renamed in 1867 was only a few streets around Whitehall, Lee, RDA, and Lowery and ended around Peeples street. By your logic, we should stop referring to the other 80% of the current neighborhood as the West End also because they are an "extension" of the original neighborhood/town.
Attached Thumbnails
West End vs. Westview-we1913.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It wasn't even in Atlanta city limits when first conceived.
I forgot to mention that neither was the West End. The southwestern edge of Atlanta's original boundaries was the Castleberry Hill area. And as we all know, West End (or then Whitehall) was around, like Decatur, before Atlanta itself.

Lastly, on a separate note, check out in the article below how the 1947 resident of 936 White Street (now in West End proper) mentions traveling to the nearby West End to do some shopping...

Urban West ATL | There’s history in every home…

Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 AM

14 posts, read 18,103 times
How does Westend and Westview (seem to have distinct neighborhoods) compare to cascade heights area from "the beautiful" to Starbucks (seem to have better closer businesses) area along cascade road up and down. Pretty broad question, I know. I love them both but the feel of each is so very different.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:56 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,748,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I have to also add that all of what is now Westview was not in Westwood Park/West End Park. If you notice in the Westwood Park map (on the Wikipedia link), the northern part of Westview is not there. That's because to was considered part of the West End.

Also to your point about time, check out the attachment in this post. Then read the quote below. There are people here who really study this stuff...

"This is the section to the east of Mathewson Sub-Division and West End Park. It was the sub-division of the Walton Realty Company property. The map is dated 1913, which is three years after West End Park and two years after Mathewson Sub-Division. It is worth noting there were some existing houses on Oak, Langhorn, etc when the land was sub-divided. Also, check out Langhorn. It was a small residential street."

The image in the map is directly within what is now the Historic West End. And it was establish AFTER Mathewson Subdivision (of the West End) and Westwood Park/West End Park. The point is Langhorn wasn't always the boundary to the West End. It became a boundary when they widened it to make another expressway that never materialized (sort of like Freedom Parkway). Many residents were here before that time and still consider themselves West End residents.

The original West End that was established in 1835 and renamed in 1867 was only a few streets around Whitehall, Lee, RDA, and Lowery and ended around Peeples street. By your logic, we should stop referring to the other 80% of the current neighborhood as the West End also because they are an "extension" of the original neighborhood/town.
OK I get what you're saying, if the residents refer to it as the West End, then I can't really see why they just combine the two areas. I never lived in Westview but I did live across from the cemetery on MLK Dr for a while. Most people I know referred to this area as Westview but they were younger.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3 View Post
How does Westend and Westview (seem to have distinct neighborhoods) compare to cascade heights area from "the beautiful" to Starbucks (seem to have better closer businesses) area along cascade road up and down. Pretty broad question, I know. I love them both but the feel of each is so very different.
Well, to me, in terms of the homes themselves, it just depends on what historic era you're more a fan of. IMO, homes in the Historic West End have the historic feel of the late 1800's/early 1900's. In my opinion, the closest neighborhood I can compare it to is Grant Park. Except there is the RDA commercial corridor anchoring the neighborhood instead of a huge city park. In fact, if the historic homes were fixed up to the degree that those in Grant Park are, and if the commercial district were to become more inviting and vibrant, I think the West End could one day be on par with the likes of Grant Park today.

To me, the western edges of West End north of RDA are very similar to the eastern portion of Westview north of RDA. Mostly consisting of the quintessential American 1920's bungalow. Comparable, in my opinion, to what one would find in East Atlanta, for example.

The part of Westview south of RDA ranges from the 1920's and go into the 30's (and possibly '40's) as you go to the southern and western edges of the neighborhood. This side, to me, is noticeably more residential with long, winding, and circular streets. I believe the same person who designed Ansley Park also designed Westwood Park, which is now that section of Westview. You can tell wealthy people used to live there (in fact, you could readily see Maynard Jackson's home in Westview), but there are quite a few rundown homes as well (as is the case in the West End).

With all that said, West End, to me, is a little more urban; a little more "hip". Similar to how Grant Park is a little more urban/hip in relation to Ormewood Park. Westview is a little more chill and laid back. They go hard for the West End, but they've got their own thing going on too. I think similar to how one might view Lake Claire in relation to Candler Park. While West End's is larger and a bit more active, both neighborhoods have several strong neighborhood associations that occasionally blend, overlap, and collaborate at times.

I guess its also worth noting that, like Grant Park, West End's historic designation will ensure that it will always keeps it's historical charm. However, Westview doesn't have that designation, so it's further revitalization could lead to the new neo-craftsman infill that you see in Kirkwood and Oakhurst for example.

In terms of the area around Cascade between The Beautiful and the Starbucks, I like it. I usually only ride that way down Cascade literally for the following things:

Home Depot
Wal-Mart
sometimes Publix
Tires Plus
The Atlanta Fulton Library (larger Branch than West End)
occasionally Kroger
and or course, Starbucks

I'm sure you know that once you cross 285, you are no longer in the City of Atlanta, but are instead in unincorporated South Fulton county. In terms of homes in the City of Atlanta around Cascade on the way to the Starbucks, I think they get into the 1950's and 1960's style homes. This is from a time when the black elite spilled into the area from the West End/AUC area. I believe Kasim Reed grew up in that area. To me, it has more of a suburban feel. Similar to the parts of East Atlanta that are not really in the City of Atlanta.

The only thing that hold this area back, in my opinion, is the stretch of blight between the Cascade/West End Kroger and The Beautiful. That, to me, disconnects that community from everything that is going on on that side of the city. I think it would be a great, peaceful, convenient place to live, but that disconnect is why, in terms of investment, I would put the Cascade area last on the list of three.

West End and Westview (as well all the other SW beltline neighborhoods) have a synergy that I just don't see the Cascade area participating in. It may happen eventually, and you might not care about that. So, it all just depends on what you want...

Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
I'm sure you know that once you cross 285, you are no longer in the City of Atlanta, but are instead in unincorporated South Fulton county.
Actually the city of Atlanta extends a couple of miles beyond 285.

If it didn't our OTP mayor wouldn't be eligible for office!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...!4d-84.3879824

Old 05-22-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Actually the city of Atlanta extends a couple of miles beyond 285.

If it didn't our OTP mayor wouldn't be eligible for office!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...!4d-84.3879824
I know that is true in certain SW areas. So the Starbucks on Caacade is within the official city limits? If so, I stand corrected. I just go by the Atlanta City Limit sign just within 285 and the Welcome to South Fulton sign just outside of it.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
I know that is true in certain SW areas. So the Starbucks on Caacade is within the official city limits? If so, I stand corrected. I just go by the Atlanta City Limit sign just within 285 and the Welcome to South Fulton sign just outside of it.
I don't know exactly where that Starbucks is. From the map it looks like Cascade exits the city limits just inside 285, and then reconnects with the city limits about a mile and half outside 285.

By the way, looking at that map reminds me how pleasant Cascade is out that way. Haven't been there in years but Trammell crow park used to be a nice gathering place. (I assume it still is).

Old 05-23-2016, 05:44 AM

787 posts, read 969,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3 View Post
From my reply in another thread...

I currently live on Fairburn Rd (CoA) near Starbucks on Cascade and in transition moving to Westwood near Westview.
The general vibe I get is that the people who live near Starbucks on Cascade are more of the middle class black professional Church going bougie type. The people in Westview seem to be your poorer so-called ghetto type, the people in West End are more of the black conscious type, vegan, Pan African, Nation of Islam, Hebrew Israelites types. Of course all these areas have each type of people innermixed too. IMO can't go wrong in any of these areas as I love them all, just depends on the type of crowd and homes styles you prefer.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:49 AM

787 posts, read 969,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't know exactly where that Starbucks is. From the map it looks like Cascade exits the city limits just inside 285, and then reconnects with the city limits about a mile and half outside 285.

By the way, looking at that map reminds me how pleasant Cascade is out that way. Haven't been there in years but Trammell crow park used to be a nice gathering place. (I assume it still is).
I think as long as you're on Cascade rd outside 285 that's S. Fulton but once you turn on Fairburn Rd, Kimberly rd, Danforth Rd, and New Hope you're in CoA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta