Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 25,808 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on transferring from Georgia Southern to Georgia Tech in the Spring (January). At Georgia Southern, there are about 25-30 student housing apartment complexes down here. Most common floorplan would be a 4 bedroom, 4 bath.

The benefits are: individual leases, furnished, large living spaces, and all inclusive (water, cable, internet, electricity). Ranging from $250 to $530 a month per room.

But in Atlanta, with AUC, Georgia State, Tech, Emory, etc., I could only find 5 similar to the ones in Statesboro: WestMar, 100 Midtown, One 12 Courtland, The Flats @Atlantic Station, and 444 Highland.

What gives? I know a lot of people live at home, but still. Does anyone have suggestions on where I could stay? I would preferably like to be close to Tech and Marta with a budget of $700/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:24 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,469,606 times
100 Midtown is really close to Tech, plus it has a nice Chinese restaurant on location. It offers quick access to the interstates. You also have all the amenties of Midtown Atlanta like Publix grocery store, restaurants, and nightlife nearby. I would go with 100 Midtown, because of location.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:06 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,690,057 times
The kind of housing you described generally exists in college towns, specifically built for the purpose of student housing. In bigger cities, you just don't find many complexes with this set up. Similarly the rent price you mention might be found in some college towns, but in others will be low. In a big city, in a good location, it is low.

A great many Tech students live off campus (and many live on campus as well). They just live with a traditional lease.

Have you thought about living on campus for the semester?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,839,116 times
Rent rates in Midtown are high enough that there is more money to be made building higher end apartments than typically found in university apartment layouts. As you've seen, there are a couple, but "regular" apartments are far more common. The Home Park neighborhood just across 10th street has a lot of single family homes shared by groups of students, often just renting rooms for a semester or two.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,047,661 times
$700/month is doable with roommates. You need to get off of this messageboard and hook in to some Georgia Tech student listings.

There is a group on facebook for GT Rooms (GT Room Swap, or something like that) and there is craigslist of course.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,867,301 times
When I was a student I stayed at Campus Walk in Marietta in a 3bd/2ba similar to how you described with separate leases. Don't know if they are still around but they were super cheap back then $190 a month and included all utilities and cable, but this was over 10 years ago. Last time I drove by there, they are off Marietta Pkwy, they were still there but they are much further away from the colleges in the center of the city.

Atlanta really doesn't have much in regards to student housing like you are describing.

Checked on Campus Walk, looks like they are closed.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
$700/month is doable with roommates. You need to get off of this messageboard and hook in to some Georgia Tech student listings.

There is a group on facebook for GT Rooms (GT Room Swap, or something like that) and there is craigslist of course.
Thank you. Do you know of any? I tried Facebook, but couldn't find it. And Google of course.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
The kind of housing you described generally exists in college towns, specifically built for the purpose of student housing. In bigger cities, you just don't find many complexes with this set up. Similarly the rent price you mention might be found in some college towns, but in others will be low. In a big city, in a good location, it is low.

A great many Tech students live off campus (and many live on campus as well). They just live with a traditional lease.

Have you thought about living on campus for the semester?
I want to live on campus, but I want to take summer classes. So it probably would be a lot cheaper for me to sign a $700 lease from January - July ($4900) vs. on campus which would be $4400 January - May then around $2000 again for the summer.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,798,652 times
Emory has an off campus housing website. You might try looking there also-- https://housing.emory.edu/off-campus/home.cfm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta