Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What color for fifth MARTA rail line?
Orange 5 25.00%
Purple 7 35.00%
Pink 4 20.00%
Black 0 0%
White 0 0%
Gray 1 5.00%
Brown 1 5.00%
Other (specify) 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 PM

7,362 posts, read 12,492,173 times

Advertisements

While I don't live in Atlanta, I was wondering, if MARTA were to come up with a fifth rail line (heavy rail or light rail), what color should it be? MARTA has a Red, Gold, Blue, and Green Line.

My first choice would be the Pink Line. However, if the line were to serve the gay neighborhoods, then I would choose the Brown Line, since pink would be promoting stereotypes. If you remember, the Asian-American communities objected to the Yellow Line, which is why it was renamed the Gold Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,138,730 times
White and Black would be out because some group would claim using such colors for lines is racist. Brown is questionable depending on the demographic makeup of the area the line would pass through. Personally, I'd support a Purple or Magenta Line the most.

- skbl17

Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
White and Black would be out because some group would claim using such colors for lines is racist. Brown is questionable depending on the demographic makeup of the area the line would pass through. Personally, I'd support a Purple or Magenta Line the most.

- skbl17
Well, good thing the Red Line doesn't serve an Indian Reservation, or the Green Line doesn't serve an Irish neighborhood (as far as I know). The Gold Line serves Asian neighborhoods, which is why the Asians objected to Yellow. As long as the Black or White Lines don't serve black or white neighborhoods, respectively, perhaps they can get away with it.

As for Brown, CTA in Chicago has a Brown Line, but it mostly serves white communities. They also have a Pink Line, but neither of the two gay communities are along it.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 PM

7,377 posts, read 6,591,843 times
I voted other, but I would say silver line, the color of course would look gray on paper/maps/signs/etc.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 PM

186 posts, read 351,641 times
Pink, Purple, and Orange are the only color I can see that would have no objections from all groups.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
Pink, Purple, and Orange are the only color I can see that would have no objections from all groups.
Possibly, but assigning pink to gay communities would be promoting stereotypes, which is a bad thing. Gay men do not like the color pink any more than straight men.

BTW, who would object to gray? Senior citizens?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM

Does Atlanta even have enough concentrated gay communities to get offended by a line that just happens to run through that area?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 PM

580 posts, read 1,428,875 times
Orange is the best in my opinion and the least color I think that would cause any confusions amongst any person or race. I just wish this was a reality and not a thread. We desperately need to extend existing rail lines further out, as well as add new lines to this congested metro area.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,929,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I voted other, but I would say silver line, the color of course would look gray on paper/maps/signs/etc.
that sounds the best to me; it corresponds with "gold". perhaps all new lines could be metallic colours? gold, silver, ruby, bronze, etc. the current red/blue/green color scheme is only like 10 years old anyway. it used to just be "the north line", etc.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:28 AM

Eh, I don't think we need to throw out the color system just yet. Frankly, color-line systems are somewhat limited, either you have to use all colors (and ignore whining about people being "offended") or you have to start inventing colors (mauve anyone?). I wouldn't mind going to simple letters like the NYC Subway. Doraville could be the D train, North Springs could be the N train, North Springs-Lindbergh is L train, H.E. Holmes is H train, Bankhead is B train. Cumberland line if built could be C train, Clifton Corridor (though not HRT) could be the E train (for Emory).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: