Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:44 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times

Advertisements

SPLOST 2016: Dates Set for Public Info Meetings & Hearings - Government - Smyrna-Vinings, GA Patch

2016 SPLOST Home

(for more detailed, click this image then click under Layers: Boundaries > Commissioner Districts OR click the Comm District button on the upper right to search your district by street name)

District Three
7-9 p.m., Wednesday, July 9
East Cobb Senior Center, 3332 Sandy Plains Road, Marietta, GA 30066

District Four
7-9 p.m., Thursday, July 10
South Cobb Community Center, 620 Lions Club Dr SW, Mableton, GA 30126

District Two
7-9 p.m., Monday, July 14
East Cobb Library ,4880 Lower Roswell Rd, Marietta, GA 30068

District One
7-9 p.m., Wednesday, July 16
West Cobb Senior Center, 4915 Dallas Hwy, Powder Springs, GA 30127

Countywide
10 a.m. - noon, Thursday, July 17
County Commission Meeting Room (2nd floor), 100 Cherokee Street, Marietta, GA 30090
Drop in and learn about our projects during this open house.

Public Hearings

Cobb Board of Commissioners Meeting
9 a.m., Tuesday, July 8
100 Cherokee Street, 2nd floor, Marietta, GA 30090

Cobb Board of Commissioners Meeting
7 p.m., Tuesday, July 22
100 Cherokee Street, 2nd floor, Marietta, GA 30090
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Do they have a list of projects anywhere? Did the controversial BRT line end up on the list?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Do they have a list of projects anywhere? Did the controversial BRT line end up on the list?
I haven't seen a list yet, other than a few things mentioned in the patch article like the Windy Hill Boulevard concept, some interchange rebuild in Acworth and some roundabout in West Cobb.

I don't think BRT made the cut, and it'd probably kill the SPLOST. The last one only passed by 47 votes, without a BRT. My suspicions are that they are going to wait until after the election then try to fund that from the general fund and take out more bonds.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Correction: I think I found Smyrna's list here. Sorry that the image quality isn't better.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Smyrna seeks 51M for SPLOST wish list

Highlights:
* The Windy Hill Blvd
* Improvements of intersection at Cumberland Blvd and Spring Rd (near the Braves stadium)
* Multi-use trail on Windy Hill from Atlanta Rd to Village Pkwy
* Pedestrian improvements at railroad crossings
* Parks improvements

Haven't found a list for the rest of Cobb yet

Old 06-25-2014, 02:10 AM

Here's the Acworth list http://www.cityofacworth.org/files/s...PLOST_List.pdf

Marietta http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....016_SPLOST.pdf

Quote:
After reviewing this more, it's actually looking like it'll be a separate referendum from the SPLOST in the fall, labelled as $100 million for “Connect Cobb, Phase I High capacity multi-modal Transit along Cobb Parkway.” which will almost certainly lead to lawsuits because of the wording but that's GA politics for us.

This is because whereas Lee is still pushing for the BRT - $100 million match so we can get federal funding - other commissioners say they want it as a separate referendum and/or different funding mechanisms. Mayors are divided. Smyrna and Powder Springs mayors would prefer to see it as a separate referendum so it doesn't jeopardize the SPLOST. Austell and Marietta's mayor want it on the SPLOST. Acworth's mayor is undecided. http://cobbnewsnetwork.com/view/full...s_right_column

Marietta's Mayor Steve Tumlin :

Quote:
think the BRT makes a lot of sense, and whether it’s gas prices — they’re always going to be fighting in the Middle East — I think cars are our biggest polluters. Quality of life, I think, is the way to go, and we can’t just keep laying asphalt down. We’re at a saturation point.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-25-2014 at 02:28 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 AM

I found the Powder Springs list:

http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....ngs_splost.jpg

Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Probably smart for them to split out the BRT given the politics in Cobb.

But I'd probably vote against both of them if I lived in Cobb. One of Cobb's main draws has always been lower taxes and they are losing that.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
But I'd probably vote against both of them if I lived in Cobb. One of Cobb's main draws has always been lower taxes and they are losing that.
As a Cobb resident, the nice thing about the SPLOST is it results in people from outside Cobb and outside metro Atlanta paying some of the costs through sales tax - conventioneers, those shopping in Cobb from neighboring counties. I know it's evil, but it's the truth.

Conversely, without the SPLOST, our property taxes would probably go up. In fact, 30% of the last SPLOST were maintenance projects masquerading as capital improvements. E.g. let an intersection get so bad that you're forced to completely rebuild it, then it's a capital improvement. That shift costs away from the general fund and shortens the backlog. Since I was on the Cobb 2040 CTP, I got to see all the tricky numbers without blinders on.

I really hope the commissioners try to drive the point home, as a last resort if necessary, that no SPLOST means more property taxes. However, I think they are a bit embarrassed by it since otherwise the secret on one of the ways they keep taxes low amidst so much growth gets out. Money doesn't grow on trees, and Cobb has the same infrastructure costs of any other part of the metro that's growing quickly.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
As a Cobb resident, the nice thing about the SPLOST is it results in people from outside Cobb and outside metro Atlanta paying some of the costs through sales tax - conventioneers, those shopping in Cobb from neighboring counties. I know it's evil, but it's the truth.
Agreed. Definitely better than a property tax to pay for it.

If only there was some extra spending they could eliminate to use on these things... Maybe about $400M that was being spent on something non-essential?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:49 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
I attended the last round of SPLOST Town Halls - I can definitely say I was impressed by our County representatives.

There were some whackadoodle residents that attended and comments at time were just silly. But the County and City employees were so patient and respectful - definitely not an easy job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta