Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Does Atlanta need a new franchise?
Or a new GM/President?
Or just a new coach?
And how much more do you think Arthur is willing to spend to get to the Super Bowl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That wouldn't help, I don't think.

Quote:
Or a new GM/President?
Who made the decision to hire the past two ineffective coaches? That person might be a weak link.

Quote:
Or just a new coach?
Given that the coach who just left wasn't man enough to tell his boss he was leaving or stick it out for the rest of the season, I think almost anyone would be an improvement.

Quote:
And how much more do you think Arthur is willing to spend to get to the Super Bowl?
Spending isn't everything. Look at the Yankees. They get close every year, but it's been a while since they went all the way, and they don't have the salary cap issues to worry about that most other sports impose on their teams.

I think it all comes down to having the right people in place and being lucky enough in a given season to catch a few breaks. Right now, I'm not sure that the Falcons have the right people in key places (and not just on the field).

Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Or a new GM/President?
Or just a new coach?
A new GM and a head coach that can motivate the vets and be an impactful teacher to the young players.

Although Emmitt Thomas is the interim, he's 65 years old and probably looking more toward retirement rather than the grind of head coach.

If Art Blank is willing to remove Rich McKay as GM, and spend the money to hire Bill Cowher as head coach, I'd say that's the best plan possible. Another prospect out there is former Chicago Bear and current coordinator Mike Singletary.

But good riddence to Bobby Petrino. He's a coward; a disingenuous bum; and a pi$$ poor example of a professional.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:27 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
I think the falcons problems for the past few years have been due to always having blaring weakness' at many places. 1. A weak offensive line that can't pass protect. 2. Only one real cornerback (D'angelo Hall luv him or hate him He's good) but the new guy might be changing that finally. 3. Always some weakness on D-Line. (first Abraham out, then Coleman out, Now Grady Jackson gone) 4. Ball dropping recievers (that's fixed somewhat right now) 5.Absense of a large power running back to balance the quick speedy ones.

As long as these issues continue going unadressed changing Owners, Coaches or even Quarterbacks won't get the falcons to the superbowl and probably not even the playoffs.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 PM

390 posts, read 906,797 times
i feel bad for the whole organization. i can imagine people across the country think Atlanta is one big circus with these crazy things happening (well, i guess it kind of is haha) but in all seriousness, i think the whole organization needs to be overhauled (possibly incl. the GM) bring in some fresh faces, and just start over. I also think, even though its been tough, the fans need to stick by the team. If the organization knows the fans are there thru thick and thin, there will be more motivation to move forward...

Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Although we all have a right to express ourselves, I must say he (see below) is right to a certain degree. I believe the players should have kept their mouths shut to the media- shown some dignity and given their displeasure to Rich and Arthur. Though they (Rich and Arthur) are the ones that make the ultimate decision, wouldn't that hostility been better suited for getting a coach that everyone could like?
I'm not an NFL fan (lose that desire back in the early '80's) but as "atl" said- this (the whole Falcons debacle) must surely put a black-eye on Atlanta as the rest of the country looks on.

As an armchair QB- get rid of Rich. Hire a GM/Head coach with a performance based contract. If he succeeds in a winning season, then a playoff berth, then a Super Bowl appearance, promote him to GM and let him hire his sucessor. Anybody with any intelligence knows it will take a few seasons to "up-right this sinking ship".

This is a reader's opinion from today's AJC.

Classless? He's right to leave a sinking ship
Calling Bobby Petrino "classless" is not the right word. Classless is: The players openly criticizing him because they don't like his system; arguing with him on the sideline and in public; supporting a quarterback who could not find a receiver, but who could drown and electrocute dogs when they could not perform as well as expected; management not being fully committed to the new system, wherein it should have actively controlled the players and supported the new coaches; fans calling for a firing of a coach, instead of showing patience.
Petrino took the job under entirely different circumstances. He kept quiet and tried to adjust to a sinking ship. I call Petrino "very smart." He jumped off the Titanic before it sank.
BILL WILSON, Marietta

Old 12-14-2007, 10:53 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
I believe the players should have kept their mouths shut to the media- shown some dignity and given their displeasure to Rich and Arthur.
Who says the players didn't do this??

A lack of "dignity" by players didn't cause Petrino to negotiate another employment deal over a month ago. "Classless" players didn't force Petrino to phone in his resignation and, on the same day, appear on a stage with his wife and kids doing the suuueeee pig shout. And "out of control" players didn't preach team and family, and then negotiate a bailout at the first sign of hard times.

Of course some cletus in Marietta is going to blame the players for the tasteless actions of the coach. I wouldn't expect any less. But the reality is, Petrino is what Petrino does. He's a liar and a self-centered opportunist. And it took other grown men to make him realize that he's better suited to have authority over boys, than to try and lead men.

Petrino and Bill Wilson from Marietta deserve each other.

Last edited by backfist; 12-14-2007 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 11:47 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Warrick Dunn is one of the classiest guys in professional sports and even he vented about Petrino yesterday on AM 790. The players weren't classless--they were expecting to be treated as professionals, but instead Petrino treated them like children and wouldn't even talk to them about the lineup on gameday. He called plays during games that they didn't even practice. He made himself completely unapproachable to his players and assistants. He disrespected the veterans and even was stubborn enough to get rid of one of the best D-lineman in the league--Grady Jackson. He completely bailed on his responsibilities by leaving the team before the end of the season. He couldn't even tell his team face-to-face!

I can see why Hall yelled at him. I would snap also if I felt completely disrespected. Petrino is a bum--and a spineless one at that. His actions during his brief tenure as Falcons' coach are indefensible. The irony is that Arkansas had rid themselves of a sleazebag coach (Nutt) just to hire another.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
The Falcons are just going through a rought spot. We lost our QB and now Coach sneaked off in the middle of the night. But it will get better. I think the best person for the job of Head Coach of the Falcons is myself. I will turn it around.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Warrick Dunn is one of the classiest guys in professional sports and even he vented about Petrino yesterday on AM 790. The players weren't classless--they were expecting to be treated as professionals, but instead Petrino treated them like children and wouldn't even talk to them about the lineup on gameday. He called plays during games that they didn't even practice. He made himself completely unapproachable to his players and assistants. He disrespected the veterans and even was stubborn enough to get rid of one of the best D-lineman in the league--Grady Jackson. He completely bailed on his responsibilities by leaving the team before the end of the season. He couldn't even tell his team face-to-face!

I can see why Hall yelled at him. I would snap also if I felt completely disrespected. Petrino is a bum--and a spineless one at that. His actions during his brief tenure as Falcons' coach are indefensible. The irony is that Arkansas had rid themselves of a sleazebag coach (Nutt) just to hire another.
Sounds like he has the perfect resume to be a manager at the phone company!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: