Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,573,401 times

Advertisements

Here is what you "pitbull" defenders don't realize! They are violent animals who do kill! Pitbulls have been "banned" from Miami Dade county here in Florida after one jumped a neighbor's fence in 1989 and nearly mauled the scalp of a 3 year old just sitting in his front yard!
The police had to shoot it to let his grip on the child's skull and luckily he survived.
Somehow I don't fear the same behavior from poodles!

PS: If you are caught with a "pitbull" in Miami-Dade county you face a $500 fine and/or 6 months in Jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Somehow I don't fear the same behavior from poodles!
If you think a poodle is some little frou-frou creature you are in for a surprise. Poodles of all sizes can be bitey and a full grown standard poodle is a powerful dog.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 AM

368 posts, read 539,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you think a poodle is some little frou-frou creature you are in for a surprise. Poodles of all sizes can be bitey and a full grown standard poodle is a powerful dog.
Poodles are surprisingly bad tempered, and any dog can bite, but can you find a single case of a poodle killing someone? They just don't have the jaw size and strength. Pit bulls are by far the most common dog involved in fatal attacks. But it's still incredibly rare. There are around 25 fatal dog bites each year - that means less than 1 in 2,000,000 dogs will kill someone this year. The people who are calling for a pit bull ban probably have no problem driving their car everywhere, even though more than 30,000 people die each year in the US in car crashes.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Poodles are surprisingly bad tempered, and any dog can bite, but can you find a single case of a poodle killing someone? They just don't have the jaw size and strength.
I agree. I just hate to see poodles getting treated as lightweights. We've never had one but they can sure be bitey.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,399,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Poodles are surprisingly bad tempered, and any dog can bite, but can you find a single case of a poodle killing someone? They just don't have the jaw size and strength. Pit bulls are by far the most common dog involved in fatal attacks. But it's still incredibly rare. There are around 25 fatal dog bites each year - that means less than 1 in 2,000,000 dogs will kill someone this year. The people who are calling for a pit bull ban probably have no problem driving their car everywhere, even though more than 30,000 people die each year in the US in car crashes.
Cars are a necessity, pit bulls are not.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM

368 posts, read 539,751 times
^Well cars aren't a necessity (plenty of people, even in Atlanta, don't own one), but I see your point. A better example might be something like vending machines. They're not a necessity, and they kill 13 people per year. There are plenty of examples of things that kill people that aren't banned. I'm not necessarily against a pit bull ban, but just want to point out there are a huge number of things we know are dangerous, and aren't necessary, that aren't banned. Nothing is a black and white issue. I personally would never own a pit bull or allow one in my house, but that doesn't mean I automatically want to ban responsible dog owners from having one.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Cars are a necessity, pit bulls are not.
If there a necessity, why isn't one being dished out to every 16+ year old with free maintenance and insurance?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:16 PM

7,481 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I mostly agree with what you're saying, but @ the bold, that's not going to happen.

It's not that I don't understand that a pit bull can be cuddly; all dogs can be for that matter. It's just that they seem least likely to be so. I did a quick google and although this was not the article I was looking for, it'll do: 2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org. Although pit bulls only make up less than 5% of the US dog populations, they were responsible for 61% of fatal attacks in 2012. When stats like that are constantly reported, it's going to be impossible to change the perception.
The General Motors CEO is currently being grilled by congress over 13 deaths in 13 years by a faulty ignition switch and your link reports 38 deaths due to dogs in 2012. What am I missing?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,824,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The General Motors CEO is currently being grilled by congress over 13 deaths in 13 years by a faulty ignition switch and your link reports 38 deaths due to dogs in 2012. What am I missing?

Let's try to sort through what you posted. We're comparing an average of one death per year by faulty ignition switch to 38 per year by a dog (only for the specified year and hell would freeze over before I looked up stats for 12 other years)? Hmm... so death by pit bull is roughly 38 times higher than death by faulty ignition switch at least for the year I mentioned? I can't even tell what side you're on.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times
Quote:
Pitbulls have been "banned" from Miami Dade county here in Florida
Good point, and that's why Miami is the sanctuary of safety that it is today.

And your ban....I don't know how it's enforced, but I have an old friend who lives in Miami Beach and he has a pitbull. He posts pictures of himself walking it all over town. Doesn't seem to have had a problem yet, so so much for your ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta