Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 03:28 PM

116 posts, read 195,871 times

Advertisements

What areas in metro Atlanta have good girls soccer programs? For school and like a town league? Not too competitive...I have a 10 year old and almost 5 year old that like the sport.

Also, unrelated, but which is better...Lake Alatoona or Lake Lanier? Pros/cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsn0122 View Post
What areas in metro Atlanta have good girls soccer programs? For school and like a town league? Not too competitive...I have a 10 year old and almost 5 year old that like the sport.

Top Hat Soccer is the premier in-town league for girls. For school, I am pretty sure all of the privates have teams, but I am not familiar with the publics.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Both lakes are good, although, Lake Lanier is bigger and more popular and and has more recreational areas and activities than Lake Allatoona.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Both lakes are good, although, Lake Lanier is bigger and more popular and and has more recreational areas and activities than Lake Allatoona.
Having spent time on both, Lanier is the party lake of the area. Allatoona, in my opinion, is a far safer lake on which to boat.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:12 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
All the areas of the metro have good rec soccer leagues for girls, and all the high schools have teams, from East Cobb to Newnan--you really are hard-pressed to be w/o girls soccer. Tophat in Buckhead is awesome because of the small-sided teams for the younger age girls. Concorde Fire probably has some of the top elite girls' teams in the city. They have branches in Dunwoody, Alpharetta and Fayetteville and start at age 5. Most YMCAs have decent programs and a lot of churches run leagues that anyone can join. I'm sure the East Cobb and Decatur people can tell you the popular leagues in their communities. In Buckhead, the church league is Peachtree Road Methodist.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM

116 posts, read 195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Having spent time on both, Lanier is the party lake of the area. Allatoona, in my opinion, is a far safer lake on which to boat.
OK, which is more family friendly? And better for swimming? Can you jet ski in both?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,355 times
Years ago the Peachtree City area south of the city always seemed to have good programs. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 PM

161 posts, read 219,209 times
I have 3 playing at NASA in East Cobb (they also have a north marietta/Kennesaw location and a Cherokee location.) Their rec program is great and very well organized (I can know nearly a year in advance what days my kids will practice based on their age group.) Everyone will say TopHat because you asked for the "best," and they are undeniably the top soccer club in the SE for girls (they only have girls.) But you also asked for "not too competitive" and--please trust me on this--they are super competitive. The fields are lovely, the neighborhood is lovely, the families are lovely, but it is super super competitive. We started playing at the YMCA, and in our experience it was unacceptably disorganized. But every Y is a little different and lots of families love playing there. In E Cobb, Mt Bethel UMC had a great rec program. From what I understand, lots of the bigger churches on the northside do. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Peachtree City wins. It's a big thing down there.

Welcome to starrsmillsoccer.com

Old 02-19-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
OK, which is more family friendly? And better for swimming? Can you jet ski in both?
Allatoona, but yes you can jet ski on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta