Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,826,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I think Southerners can be some of the most meanest people you'd ever meet. Don't let that southern hospitality fool you.
Yeah it can go either way but in general southerners have better manners and appear friendlier. That doesn't mean the manners are not disingenuous but it's just so. As far as true mean level, I don't disagree with you. One thing I have noticed is that southerners take way less lip service than northerners are used to issuing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM

36 posts, read 47,326 times
Default I Have to Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I grew up in Queens, and I take exception to your characterization. I was brought up with manners and to be polite and respectful to elders and to say "please and thank you" and we even called adults Mr. and Mrs. My children were raised in Massachusetts, and the same is true. They have manners and respect.

Now...if you're equating thugs, ghetto, and rap types, you'll find those also in Atlanta. Not sure what you mean by "NY teens and kids" or how they are "rude and disrespectful."

Now...if you mean that kids up north don't call teachers and parents "ma'am" and "sir"...then you'd be correct. I am fine with that, as my kids aren't in the military and need to be respectful, but saying "yes ma'am" and "yes sir" to teachers and parents is over the top. That is one difference between southerners and most northerners.

As has been discussed many times, I think there is a general and broad difference in the mentality of many people in NY (and the northeast generally) and people in the south. Direct communication and a more sarcastic sense of humor is more normal in NY. In the south, directness is considered to be "rude" and people tend to be more nuanced and more subtle in their communication. People in NY are not actually being rude, but they don't try to sugar coat or use passive aggressiveness.

In NY, generally what you see is what you get, and I like that, and I try to encourage my kids to be polite yet be assertive. It's a balance between appearing confident...or appearing arrogant. I think some southerners assume arrogance when it's not the case.
I have to disagree. Even the GHETTOEST of the GHETTO kids have better manners than kids in NY. People is NY are generally disagreeable, loud, opinionated and think that the world revolves around NY.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:25 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,438,339 times

"People is NY are generally disagreeable, loud, opinionated and think that the world revolves around NY."

*Well, coming from a city that encompasses well over a 8.5 million people, a megalopolis of cultures, languages, attitudes and personalities, one should have a reasonable understanding of how and why people from NYC conduct themselves the way they do especially when you have a city where practically ever known nation is pretty much represented in NY vying for validation and stability; I expect some human friction and contention. I know some NY city children, very bright, inquisitive and intelligent who speak 3 or 4 languages just by the proximity of their surroundings and interaction within other ethnic clans. In essence, the world somewhat revolves around NY, that's just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalton View Post
I have to disagree. Even the GHETTOEST of the GHETTO kids have better manners than kids in NY. People is NY are generally disagreeable, loud, opinionated and think that the world revolves around NY.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Some of the most nicest and helpful people I've ever encountered were in New York City.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 AM

"In NY, generally what you see is what you get, and I like that, and I try to encourage my kids to be polite yet be assertive. It's a balance between appearing confident...or appearing arrogant. I think some southerners assume arrogance when it's not the case."

**EXACTLY!! One can be polite, but assertive and confident. One can exhibit kindness and love (tough or not), without appearing to be weak and that is what most southerns don't understand about northern mentalities and ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And I'll say it again...maybe those are poor inner city kids you're hanging around. You can see that same type of kid here in many parts of Atlanta, and in many urban neighborhoods. You will not find that kind of thing on Long Island and in middle class or affluent place in NY, just as you will generally not find it in many middle class parts of Atlanta.

Can you not understand the concept of class here...rather than geography?

OH...and I would never use the term "MAD disrespectful" since I speak English and communicate clearly, as I taught my children to do.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM

"People is NY are generally disagreeable, loud, opinionated and think that the world revolves around NY."

*My ex was from Brooklyn, she could be like that as well at times, but she had other favorable traits as well that outshined many of her rusty NewYorkcentric ways.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:06 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,407,750 times
I swear, I cannot tell a "niceness" or "friendliness" difference among any parts of the country. Generally, folks treat you like you treat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: