Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM

22 posts, read 45,238 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
We are planning to buy existing construction not older than 2000 and our end price is $350 .We are interested in south forsyth and lambert school district in cumming/suwanee .
And in fulton county schools are all good so probably any high school district that will fit in our price range would be ok for us.
Now, our realtor is pressurizing us to short list most desired and least desired areas so that we could focus more on most desired and less on least dersired.
We would prefer 4 bed room with basement and in our price range in johns creek and Alpheretta we mostly are finding homes older than 2000 that maches our crietrion and if we do find a match they are either not nice looking or they don't have any backyard at all.But in cumming finding a home that fits our crietrion in our price range is little easy .
But i am a bit confused as i have heard a lot bad things about traffic in cumming and which probably will be worse in future.And also i have found that road are not as wide as they are in Alphretta, which is another thing to consider as it shows that city in not ready to accomodate rapidly increasing population (But its just my opinion and i could be wrong that this may convert cumming from suburban to urban in future so more developed an area is more would be the property rates and rents too)
But on the other hand in cumming i will get get a lot more for my money as compared to Alphretta and johns creek.But alpheretta and johns creek are currently developed areas and have best schools so indeed better than cumming in this respect.
So, I would appreciate your recommendations,personal views and pros and cons on this.And i know you all are very helpful as I’ve followed this forum so highly hoping that your suggestions will help me to make a decision on this.
Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM

125 posts, read 228,028 times
If u want a home that is not older than 2000 u will have to go to Cumming. I am doing relocation research as well . Another thing to keep in mind is that u might get redistricted in Cumming bcoz of the new high schools & new middle schools , to be built in future. It is a growing county.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
Well, traffic in Cumming depends on where you are going. Where will your work be? THAT is the major determinant. If you lived in Cumming and worked in Midtown, I'd say that you better get used to life on the road. On the other hand, if you lived in Cumming and worked in Woodstock or Alpharetta, that's a piece of cake.

Cumming will catch up with itself -- that's the thing about Atlanta, it grows, and it tends to accommodate. Sometimes the growing pains ache a bit, but hey, those are the trade-offs. Alpharetta used to be a little village "waaay out in the boonies" in the late 80's, early 90's -- who in the heck would live out THERE? And then see what happened . . .

If you like Cumming and can find a good quality house in your price range there, I wouldn't be afraid of living in Cumming if my work was a reasonable distance away. The school may not be "THE" best, but it is certainly good.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanhi View Post
If u want a home that is not older than 2000 u will have to go to Cumming. I am doing relocation research as well . Another thing to keep in mind is that u might get redistricted in Cumming bcoz of the new high schools & new middle schools , to be built in future. It is a growing county.
Hey nanhi, thanks for your reply.I could be wrong but based on what i have learned about redistricting it is'nt a scary stuff unless you are in a good school district.Lambert is the newest of 5 high schools in forsyth county school district .

But ya one thing is how bad is to buy a home older than 2000 i mean lets say you buy a 1995 built home in alphretta which is like 20 years old what would be its re-sale value lets say after 10 years ?
How you liked windermere area?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Well, traffic in Cumming depends on where you are going. Where will your work be? THAT is the major determinant. If you lived in Cumming and worked in Midtown, I'd say that you better get used to life on the road. On the other hand, if you lived in Cumming and worked in Woodstock or Alpharetta, that's a piece of cake.

Cumming will catch up with itself -- that's the thing about Atlanta, it grows, and it tends to accommodate. Sometimes the growing pains ache a bit, but hey, those are the trade-offs. Alpharetta used to be a little village "waaay out in the boonies" in the late 80's, early 90's -- who in the heck would live out THERE? And then see what happened . . .

If you like Cumming and can find a good quality house in your price range there, I wouldn't be afraid of living in Cumming if my work was a reasonable distance away. The school may not be "THE" best, but it is certainly good.
I agree with you and commute should not be an issue as my husband has the 'work from home' option and he also is planning to find a job in Alphretta really soon.But i want to ask how is the traffic from cumming to gwinnett county.Thanks

Old 12-11-2013, 12:49 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfacing View Post
I agree with you and commute should not be an issue as my husband has the 'work from home' option and he also is planning to find a job in Alphretta really soon.But i want to ask how is the traffic from cumming to gwinnett county.Thanks
The traffic up there sucks. The best routes (GA 20 or GA 141) are routinely bumper to bumper 6 days a week.

Move to Alpharetta if you can. At least you will have GA 400 as a conduit. Johns Creek is very insular, IMO.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM

125 posts, read 228,028 times
I think the property value won't go down for a 20 year old house if its in a good school district. Walton high school cluster is an example of that. Houses 40 years old are still expensive. I also want a basement & I am willing to buy a 20 year old house in Johns Creek.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,777 times
There are so many new neighborhoods going up in Cumming exit 13 area, that you will not have to worry about ones older than 2000. Lambert and South Forsyth are excellent schools, I attended both, however, Lambert wastes alll their money on football. when I was there, they had no pencil sharpeners in any classrooms, but had a football simulator for the players. ridiculous. Cumming is a very family friendly area. Traffic is really not that bad...Alpharetta is much worse! (I lived there this past year). You should look is Grand Cascades/Olde Atlanta Club area.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmari View Post
There are so many new neighborhoods going up in Cumming exit 13 area, that you will not have to worry about ones older than 2000. Lambert and South Forsyth are excellent schools, I attended both, however, Lambert wastes alll their money on football. when I was there, they had no pencil sharpeners in any classrooms, but had a football simulator for the players. ridiculous. Cumming is a very family friendly area. Traffic is really not that bad...Alpharetta is much worse! (I lived there this past year). You should look is Grand Cascades/Olde Atlanta Club area.
thanks for sharing this info.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,861,348 times
Going east to west & vice-versa in the Northern suburbs is a challenge. North to south is at least a little easier. I've people say "you can't get there from here" re: the trip between Gwinnett & Johns Creek/Alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta