Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM

18 posts, read 48,316 times

Advertisements

My husband will be commuting to Gainesville (east ) and I wanted to know thoughts on a commute from johns creek. I really like alpharetta but I think his commute would be too long. Also there are not many new homes on the market in johns creek. Next best suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
it is 30 miles from:
mc ginnis ferry rd and bell rd, ga (this intersection is close to one of the edges of Johns Creek)
and
gainesville
according to google.
It would generally be against the flow of traffic, so it might mostly be just miles, not traffic.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:42 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anivas View Post
My husband will be commuting to Gainesville (east ) and I wanted to know thoughts on a commute from johns creek. I really like alpharetta but I think his commute would be too long. Also there are not many new homes on the market in johns creek. Next best suburb?
Being in Alpharetta might have made the commute a little bit easier, but not by a substantial margin. There are two ways in to Gainesville from north metro ATL; I-985 from the 85 corridor, or Browns Bridge Rd from the 400 corridor. Johns Creek is halfway between those corridors. So, while your hubby has a choice between two ways to get to town [which may be dictated by which side of Gainesville he works in], there'll still be the matter of getting either of those routes. That said, getting to 85/985 should be easier in a morning commute from JC. In Alpharetta, you'd have 400 at or near your doorstep.

In your previous thread on this subject, had Born 2 Roll or myself suggested either Suwanee or Buford?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:

Depends on when you want to move. Check out Jamestown, a new development going up near 400 between Windward and McGinnis Ferry -- they are currently under construction and some new ones that are ready, in the high $300's. It's a pool community.

Another possibility is Avington. It's off Peachtree Parkway, near 400, near a large development called Laurel Springs -- newer homes in the mid-$300s/$375 range.

There's a nice 4/3 in Duluth, about 2 miles from 285 which also meets your specs -- about $360.

Edgebrook at James Creek has a Cumming address/Forsyth County, but it's off Windermere Parkway. Homes in the high $300s/low $400s.

In Johns Creek proper, there are only 4 homes currently for sale that are newer construction in a swim community. Two are in Brookhaven at Johns Creek, in the mid 400's, and two are in The River District, i the high 500's.

There's currently about 43 houses in the Alpharetta/Norcross/Duluth/Forsyth/North Gwinnett area that are in your price range with access to I-85 or Ga 400 with neighborhood pools -- but Johns Creek doesn't look like a match if $400K is the top of your range.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Thanks all. DJdeadparot, we found a home that we like in suwanee and the commute would be perfect but I didn't love the neighborhood and I'm worried about feeling like there's not much to do and too far out. There is alot of empty land in suwanee.
We also liked James creek in cumming. Would james creek be far to travel to the mall, things to do etc?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:01 AM

James Creek is a little north of the "action" of the more established Alpharetta/Johns Creek area, but it's also right in the middle of one of the fastest, if not THE fastest, growing areas in metro Atlanta. You will be not "stuck out in the middle of nowhere", in fact, you can probably enjoy a bit of a breather from the traditionally challenging Atlanta traffic until progress catches up with you (which will probably be sooner rather than later!) The Edgebrook at James Creek runs from the high 300's to the mid 400's and is basically new construction. The other James Creek homes currently on the market were built around 2007/2008, so still relatively new.

From the James Creek area, you are less than 1/2 hour from the North Georgia Premium Outlets, a large (140 store) upscale outlet shopping mall up Ga.400 on the way to Dahlonega. The success of that mall has created several outlying shopping centers, with more to come, no doubt, when the economy begins to recover. It's a VERY popular shopping destination, even from Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Roswell!

North Point Mall and ALL the shopping and dining that have grown up around there are only about 20 minutes away (13-15 miles, depending on route). For quick everyday shopping, Brookwood Marketplace is just down Windermere, and Peachtree Parkway is lined with shops, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Many of them are relatively "new", as the area has grown in that direction.

You will be also be near Lake Lanier, which has numerous public parks and beaches, as well as a popular water park and (somewhat pricey) golf. The Bowmans Island section of the Chattahoochee National Recreational Area is only 3 miles down the road, with horseback riding, hiking trails, fishing, etc. Suwanee has a busy social schedule, too, with lots going on year-round ( http://www.suwanee.com/whatsnew.events.php ) You can also stay busy in Cumming, with their beautiful 2-year-old Aquatic Center, theatres, and festivals.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM

Thank you so much. Do you think it would be hard to rent out a home in James creek. We are thinking about purchasing a starter home and then renting it out in 1-2 years/ keeping it as investment property.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:16 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Thank you so much. Do you think it would be hard to rent out a home in James creek. We are thinking about purchasing a starter home and then renting it out in 1-2 years/ keeping it as investment property.
With the school district (in the feeder zone for highly-rated South Forsyth High School) and the desirable location on the Northside of the metro area in South Forsyth County just minutes from Lake Lanier, you should not really having any problems renting out the property based on the location alone.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
There are currently 5 homes for rent (on the MLS) in James Creek -- they are listed for between $1,700 and $2,000, so that gives you a ball-park figure on what you could probably ask so that you can evaluate your carrying costs and see if it's a reasonable alternative. In the last six months, there's been 17 homes in James Creek showing as having been rented -- between $1500 to $2500, depending on length of lease, furnished, etc. So my casual guess is that you probably wouldn't have any problem, assuming there's no issue with rental restrictions with the HOA.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone. Have you heard of builders paying full closing cost even with outside lender? It's the only way it will work for us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta