Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,456 times

Advertisements

So guys, I recently got accepted into University of Michigan's masters program(), and I'll be heading up to Ann Arbor next fall. Sigh, good riddance Georgia State University.. thanks for nothing.. except a certain selected few in the Neuroscience Institute and chemistry department.

Although, I'll admit, I'm going to miss Atlanta so much T_T

Has anyone moved from Detroit to Atlanta or vice-versa? Maybe traveled there extensively? I just want to know the general thoughts out there. Please refrain from obvious semi-racist correlations between Detroit and Atlanta. I go to GSU... I know what crime is. I know what homeless people do. I don't care about that.

Tell me about night life, traffic, transportation, growth, government etc.

I know Michigan has some nice suburbs similar to North Fulton in Georgia - Novi, Rochester Hills etc. can I expect to occasionally come to Detroit for something to do? Same goes for Ann Arbor

Thoughts? I'll also post on the Michigan board...but there's no board like the Atlanta board.

GO BLUE!!! SOOO EXCITED!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 03:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times
I'm surprised you didn't attend any Georgia school at all for your master's program.

Ann Arbor is a college town so I'm sure there are things that are shifted towards college aged students. As far as Detroit goes lol, wow...it does not compare to Atlanta IMHO. Detroit is just on another level when it comes to crime honestly. It's not safe an it's 20% unemployment rate shows....it's best you stay in Ann Arbor....which is a nice city anyway...much nicer then Athens, Georgia. It's like Athens on steroids.

Congrats on the acceptance to Michigan. Unlike UGA, I actually have a high respect for Michigan. You should like the school.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
I have lived in Detroit and am from the NW Ohio area. I still have family in Detroit and visit there often.

I like both Detroit and Ann Arbor. But since you will be going to Michigan, I would look at staying in Ann Arbor over Detroit.

There are a ton of nice suburbs in metro Detroit. Similar to Atlanta, Detroit has many vibrant suburban areas contrary to what people believe and you could find comparable suburban communities to those here in metro Atlanta.

I personally have a fondness for Detroit and I do feel the city is on the up and up. I have high hopes for the area, but it does have a crime problem (they always have had issues with crime but it is exacerbated now due to the lack of funding for adequate public safety features and police).

If you move to Detroit proper, I'd focus on neighborhoods are revitalizing. You should check the Detroit forum here. I actually was recently looking to purchase a dilapidated property in the Corktown neighborhood in Detroit, which is a racially diverse, stable neighborhood in the city proper. Also in Mexicantown, a former (you guessed it) Mexican neighborhood that is also revitalizing. They have a lot of development planned for the area. Downtown Detroit is also seeing a lot of interest from private entities and I was surprised at how great the downtown area looks now. Downtown Detroit has always been more beautiful IMO than Downtown Atlanta (please don't get in a tizzy defensive Atlanta people, I like water in a downtown area). They have the river and a great urban city-scape.

Both Detroit and Ann Arbor have decent nightlife. When I lived in NW Ohio and even still when I visit, we usually go to the Detroit area or Ann Arbor for entertainment outings depending on where they are. I would steer clear of many parts of Detroit though. Ann Arbor is more expensive as are many of the "good" suburbs in Detroit, but I would probably move to Ann Arbor for the convenience of going to school. FWIW, they do not have horrible traffic there like we do here in Atlanta so commuting wouldn't be the issue there that it is here if you decide to go closer to Detroit or one of the burbs away from Ann Arbor.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:18 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,632,146 times
Poll: Crime drives Detroiters out; 40% expect to leave within 5 years | The Detroit News

Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,145,937 times
I am from Orange County California and worked in global cities such as Dubai, Paris, Los Angeles, and Washington DC. In addition, I went to school at Michigan and have recently relocated to the Detroit area. There is Detroit and then there is Metro Detroit. Metro Detroit is a thriving metropolis of over 4 million people, and it does not even include the Windsor Canada area. It is the 13th largest region in the USA. So you will find plenty of things to do.

You will finds things to do in Downtown Detroit, Midtown, Rivertown, Mexicantown, and Corktown. The neighborhoods of Detroit are awful so stay out of them! Oakland county which is just north of Detroit has over 400 lakes. In addition, there is Metro Beach. The suburbs of Detroit do not sleep and there is good nightlife and fun for the younger crowd. Royal Oak and Ferndale are the 2 favorite spots. Other places to keep on your radar are Plymouth, Northville, Wyandotte, Birmingham, Dearborn, etc. Ann Arbor is a suburb of Detroit. I hope you understand my point how there is just so much outside the city limits of Detroit. Anyway, Michigan's economy is beginning to improve and morale is back here. Lastly, you must visit the west coast of Michigan from South Haven up the coast to the Sleeping Dunes. Welcome to Michigan.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have lived in Detroit and am from the NW Ohio area. I still have family in Detroit and visit there often.

I like both Detroit and Ann Arbor. But since you will be going to Michigan, I would look at staying in Ann Arbor over Detroit.

There are a ton of nice suburbs in metro Detroit. Similar to Atlanta, Detroit has many vibrant suburban areas contrary to what people believe and you could find comparable suburban communities to those here in metro Atlanta.

I personally have a fondness for Detroit and I do feel the city is on the up and up. I have high hopes for the area, but it does have a crime problem (they always have had issues with crime but it is exacerbated now due to the lack of funding for adequate public safety features and police).

If you move to Detroit proper, I'd focus on neighborhoods are revitalizing. You should check the Detroit forum here. I actually was recently looking to purchase a dilapidated property in the Corktown neighborhood in Detroit, which is a racially diverse, stable neighborhood in the city proper. Also in Mexicantown, a former (you guessed it) Mexican neighborhood that is also revitalizing. They have a lot of development planned for the area. Downtown Detroit is also seeing a lot of interest from private entities and I was surprised at how great the downtown area looks now. Downtown Detroit has always been more beautiful IMO than Downtown Atlanta (please don't get in a tizzy defensive Atlanta people, I like water in a downtown area). They have the river and a great urban city-scape.

Both Detroit and Ann Arbor have decent nightlife. When I lived in NW Ohio and even still when I visit, we usually go to the Detroit area or Ann Arbor for entertainment outings depending on where they are. I would steer clear of many parts of Detroit though. Ann Arbor is more expensive as are many of the "good" suburbs in Detroit, but I would probably move to Ann Arbor for the convenience of going to school. FWIW, they do not have horrible traffic there like we do here in Atlanta so commuting wouldn't be the issue there that it is here if you decide to go closer to Detroit or one of the burbs away from Ann Arbor.
Sounds good. I've done some more research on Michigan and surrounding areas..and I'm pretty worried. I'll be living in Ann Arbor, but since I won't have any family in Michigan..I was hoping Detroit would feel a little bit more like home having lived in Atlanta for the past 3 and a half years.

@Ant

UGA is the 20th best public university in the United States. GT is the 7th best public university in the United States. UMish is 4th best public university in the United States. To your pleasure, UCLA is number 2(but really, Michigan>UCLA)

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News

Math is easy for me. As for your respect issues, I have no more comments for you or mathman.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 PM

15 posts, read 33,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
So guys, I recently got accepted into University of Michigan's masters program(), and I'll be heading up to Ann Arbor next fall. Sigh, good riddance Georgia State University.. thanks for nothing.. except a certain selected few in the Neuroscience Institute and chemistry department.

Has anyone moved from Detroit to Atlanta or vice-versa? Maybe traveled there extensively? I just want to know the general thoughts out there. Please refrain from obvious semi-racist correlations between Detroit and Atlanta. I go to GSU... I know what crime is. I know what homeless people do. I don't care about that.

I know Michigan has some nice suburbs similar to North Fulton in Georgia - Novi, Rochester Hills etc. can I expect to occasionally come to Detroit for something to do? Same goes for Ann Arbor

Thoughts? I'll also post on the Michigan board...but there's no board like the Atlanta board.

You will be happy studying and living in Ann Arbor. I guess at some point you will be curious and drive around the Metro area and into the city of Detroit and then happily return to Ann Arbor. University life is much better then the real world on the outside.

Remember there was a reason that Detroit was chosen as the backdrop for Robocop and that was in the mid-1980's. Detroit has sunk even further since then. It wasn't always like that. During the heyday of the auto industry (post WWII), Detroit was an awesome place to be.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:13 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,881,847 times
detroit is a former city, for all intents and purposes. it's falling apart at the seams. wikipedia even has an entire article devoted to the "decline of detroit":

Decline of Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it doesn't have anything to do with white or black, it's because the jobs left. large swaths of the city are simply abandoned:

Detroit: Entire Neighborhood Abandoned. White Lady Remains. - YouTube

that being said, it looks like the city is hitting a trough— the crime appears to be decreasing and progress is being made reurbanizing the downtown and midtown areas. but the areas that are abandoned are essentially gone for good; nobody's going to move back in. the population is just too low. they've considered turning it into farmland.

on the converse, i hear that ann arbor is actually pretty nice. during the final four this past spring i met some (hot) girls from ann arbor who seemed to like it pretty well. they also said our downtown area was "clean" which really kind of blew me away since most people say it's dirty. but ann arbor seems to have a nice little downtown area.

basically, if you're going to detroit, just go downtown and avoid the rest (besides a few places straight north of midtown, which are nice single-family neighbourhoods), avoid flint, and ann arbor is pretty nice.

bear in mind i've never actually been there, so someone who is from the area may be able to provide a lot better advice, i've just been studying it a lot recently.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post

Congratulations, Chef!!! That's terrific. Best of luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta